PDA

View Full Version : Shen-Hao 5x12?

Sidney Cammeresi
8-Oct-2004, 20:27
I've been contemplating a Shen-Hao 5x7 camera for a while. I was looking at their web site tonight, and I found that apparently they now make a 5x12 camera.

http://www.shen-hao.com/hzx57-IIAT.html

Does anyone know anything about this format? Are new film holders even available? Is cut film available, or must one cut down film from rolls?

John Kasaian
8-Oct-2004, 20:45
Perhaps you could get a roll of 5" aerial film and cut 12" pieces off? Or you could get Photo Warehouse to custom cut Ultrafine (FP-4+) film for your specs.

Christian Olivet
8-Oct-2004, 21:33
Is is 5x12 inches or centimeters?

clay harmon
8-Oct-2004, 21:52
I know of at least two Canham 5x12 cameras. Korona made one back in the banquet camera days. It is a nice format for traveling. Big enough to contact print, yet small enough to scan and make a MUCH bigger print if necessary. As mentioned, Photo Warehouse will cut FP-4 to any size. Also, a 25 sheet box of 12x20 film from anybody will yield a 100 sheet box of 5x12 inch film. Photowarehouse will also do these 'conversion' jobs for you. S&S have film holders for this format. Another nice thing is that the film diagonal is about the same as the 8x10, so the same lens kit will work for both formats.

sanking
9-Oct-2004, 11:21
During the course of communications with Mr. Fuming of Shen-Hao this spring I suggested that he build some panoramic cameras. He seemed interested and I eventually sent him a 5X12 and a 7X17 holder in trade. Based on this I suspect that you will see a 7X17 Shen Hao very soon.

S&S holders in 7X17" size (and several other ULF formats) are marketed through Quality Camera Company in Atlanta but the 5X12" size is a custom size that we only make on special order so if interested contact me directly.

From the picture at the Shen-Hao site the 5X12 appears to be built of the same material and have the same basic movements as the 5X7. If so it should be an excellent camera because my 5X7 Shen-Hao is very well built and sets up very solid.

Frank Petronio
9-Oct-2004, 19:49
Is it me and my Mac, or does the shen-hao.com website hang up on the Flash download for you Windoze folks too?

David A. Goldfarb
9-Oct-2004, 20:36
That's interesting. I'd seriously consider a 7x17 Shen-Hao.

Website works for me--Win98SE/Netscape7.2 and WinXP/Netscape 7.0

N Gray
9-Oct-2004, 20:51
Working fine for me with Safari OS10.3.5, but it does load slowly for me and seems to have some quirks.

I'm interested in the SH617 ART PANORAMA FOR 4x5 CAMERAS shown at the bottom of the page. Unfortunately the information on the site is pretty thin. I sent an email requesting further information and it, unfortunately, has just bounced back as undeliverable... If any one does successfully contact this company please drop a note in this thread.

sanking
9-Oct-2004, 21:26
Try sending an email to Mr. Zhang Fuming at zhangfm@online.sh.cn. That worked for me in mid-summer.

David A. Goldfarb
9-Oct-2004, 21:29
That 6x17cm back looks very attractive. Kerry Thalmann did a review in _View Camera_ magazine, last issue I think. Info at badgergraphic.com.

e
9-Oct-2004, 22:09
WOW!!! That 5x12 is one slick ass camera!! Teak and titanium!! I want one! Does anyone know the price?
Watch out Ebony/Wisner/Lotus/Canham ULF....Here comes Shen Hao!
Emile
www.deleon-ulf.com

Sidney Cammeresi
10-Oct-2004, 08:00
I sent mail to enquire about the price of a 5x12 and about any plans/prices about a 7x17, but I have not yet heard back. I hope he is planning a 7x17, as that's a camera I might well be interested in buying.

e
10-Oct-2004, 11:48
I just noticed the Shen Hao 5x12 is an 11lb camera. Kind of hefty. My Wisner 7x17 comes in at the same weight. Too bad they dont shave off a bit. Seems like a nice camera though! www.deleon-ulf.com

Sidney Cammeresi
14-Oct-2004, 11:01
Shen Hao finally wrote back. (They had a computer problem.) The cost of their 5x12 camera is $2480. They currently have no plans to make a 7x17.