PDA

View Full Version : Pairing up Heads / Legs from Different Brands

dodphotography
19-Apr-2014, 18:21
I find it hard as hell to figure out what heads are compatible with other tripod brands.

I'm looking at the Gitzo low profile pan tilt (5 series) and am trying to figure out if this would work well with a RRS TVC33S.

The width of the apex is my primary concern.

C. D. Keth
19-Apr-2014, 20:04
With the exception of majestic heads and tripods, which use a totally different system, I don't know of any heads that won't work on any other legs. They just attach with a 3/8"-16 bolt.

dodphotography
20-Apr-2014, 08:35
So what happens when a head like the Ries 250 head with a 6 inch crown faces a tripod whose apex is 3 inches... How does that work?

Jac@stafford.net
20-Apr-2014, 08:55
So what happens when a head like the Ries 250 head with a 6 inch crown faces a tripod whose apex is 3 inches... How does that work?

It works just fine.

dodphotography
20-Apr-2014, 08:57
It works just fine.

Sweet... In just trying to avoid any mistakes. I've never owned high end tripod gear, just crap you (although working perfectly fine) heavy legs no one is willing to carry around.

First CF purchase.

Jac@stafford.net
20-Apr-2014, 12:20
Sweet... In just trying to avoid any mistakes. I've never owned high end tripod gear, just crap you (although working perfectly fine) heavy legs no one is willing to carry around.

First CF purchase.

I like to match tripod platform to the head, however if the head and tripod are competent I have no worry.

Enjoy.

Drew Bedo
28-Apr-2014, 08:04
If the screw fits—twist it!

djdister
28-Apr-2014, 08:25
For me, if the tripod head base either matches in size or is a bit smaller than the crown of the legs then its a decent fit. If the base of the head is a lot wider (or a lot narrower) than the crown of the legs, then it could suggest a mismatch in load capacity between the two items. Of course, "your mileage may vary..." And again, that's just my approach to it, nothing etched in stone.

Jim Noel
28-Apr-2014, 09:00
With the exception of majestic heads and tripods, which use a totally different system, I don't know of any heads that won't work on any other legs. They just attach with a 3/8"-16 bolt.
Several use 1/4" -20 to mount to head.

Drew Bedo
28-Apr-2014, 13:10
Several use 1/4" -20 to mount to head.
There is an adapter for that. Many heads come with a 1/4-20 bushing fitted.

dodphotography
28-Apr-2014, 13:14
For me, if the tripod head base either matches in size or is a bit smaller than the crown of the legs then its a decent fit. If the base of the head is a lot wider (or a lot narrower) than the crown of the legs, then it could suggest a mismatch in load capacity between the two items. Of course, "your mileage may vary..." And again, that's just my approach to it, nothing etched in stone.

I think I'm going to go with the Gitzo low profile head and a set of RRS sticks.

I really wanted to stick with a ballhead and QR system but even with a lightweight 8x10 that seems to not be a good call.

dodphotography
29-Apr-2014, 19:38
I'm so lost! I know ballheads are frowned upon but can anyone sell me on them... Please?!?! Lol