PDA

View Full Version : Sonora Pass is Open

Preston
19-Apr-2014, 08:47
Sonora Pass (CA 108) and Ebbetts Pass (CA 4) opened for the season yesterday, 4/18.

There is still no word on when Tioga Pass (CA 120) will be opened.

One quick note: A weather system will affect Northern CA Monday and Tuesday of the coming week, with possible snow at the higher elevations. This may affect Sonora and Ebbetts, so if you're planning a trip, keep an eye on the road conditions.

Be safe out there,

--P

MikeH
19-Apr-2014, 15:35
Thanks for this info. I hope to head up there in 2 weeks.

BradS
19-Apr-2014, 16:06
Thanks Preston. Time to get the weed whacker out and start my yearly war on the weeds. :)

Drew Wiley
21-Apr-2014, 09:03
Thanks.

tgtaylor
24-Apr-2014, 15:07
Sonora pass is CLOSED!!!

Drew Wiley
24-Apr-2014, 15:35
Stay tuned ....

Preston
24-Apr-2014, 16:23
The NWS is calling for up to 12 inches of snow thru Saturday 4/26 beginning tonight (Thursday) with a chance of snow on Sunday. With the weather this year as goofy as it has been...we'll see. So, it's likely the pass won't open again until sometime next week if the forecast pans out.

--P

BradS
25-Apr-2014, 08:23
Well, that blows my plan to head over to Bridgeport for a sandwich this weekend...

ROL
25-Apr-2014, 08:26
Well, that blows my plan to head over to Bridgeport for a sandwich this weekend...

Hmmm… what kind of sandwich?

BradS
25-Apr-2014, 08:31
Hmmm… what kind of sandwich?

Turkey and bacon ? There's a deli counter (at the back of a market) near the courthouse.

Drew Wiley
25-Apr-2014, 09:06
The Donner Party got by without a deli

Preston
25-Apr-2014, 09:26
I think I'll wait until I can get to that deli or the Bridgeport Inn, thank you very much.

--P

tgtaylor
25-Apr-2014, 10:29
Chances of an El Nino settling in are greater than 60% and the recent greater than normal rainfall back that up. If El Nino does indeed set-up, California can expect ~ 200% of "normal" in the coming year beginning this summer. Anyone doing extended backpack trips this season should prepare for snow up high.

Thomas

Drew Wiley
25-Apr-2014, 10:58
In other words, unpredictability is predictable, as usual.

ROL
25-Apr-2014, 11:19
When I began infecting the mountains in the early 60's, one could count on late season snows of a couple of feet at elevations of 7K or greater as late as the 3rd week of June, in the Sierra. Nothing earth shaking about the end of April, except that recent light snowpacks lull the inexperience and unprepared into a false sense of security. Read about Brewer's 1864 California Geological Survey (Alsop's Such a Landscape! or Mountaineering in the Sierra Nevada by Clarence King) if you think there is anything new about any of this.

Drew Wiley
25-Apr-2014, 11:29
Clarence King should be taken with a grain of salt, to put it mildly. Like Muir (or Greg Mortensen lately), he was thoroughly in tune with the adventurer's mode of
tweaking book sales by stretching the truth some - like pole-climbing a giant icicle to get atop Mt Tyndall, which is a conspicuous walk-up, or walking all the way
back out on bleeding bare feet. The fact is, that in four of the last five years, I was in serious summer or early autumn storms almost daily, regardless of the long
term forecast. Those who wish to live to become grumpy old men like me or Ben should learn to pack appropriate bad weather gear at all times in the high country.

ROL
25-Apr-2014, 11:39
...grumpy old men like me or Ben.

:mad:. Speak for yourself old timer!

Don't listen to Drew, I choose to believe that King overcame the Longley Pass cornice with a Bowie knife.

tgtaylor
25-Apr-2014, 11:41
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/04/07/el_nino_2014_2015_forecasts_show_it_could_grow_into_a_monster.html

dsphotog
25-Apr-2014, 11:43
The Donner Party got by without a deli

They brought their own -)

tgtaylor
25-Apr-2014, 11:50
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.pdf

Preston
29-Apr-2014, 13:42
From our local Tuolumne County, CA news...

"Sonora Pass Open"

"Caltrans opened the highway at noon today [4/29]. Crews removed all the snow and debris from the recent spring storms. There is no word from Caltrans on Highway 4 Ebbetts Pass. In addition, Yosemite National Park is still working on Highway 120 Tioga Pass. Crews have been clearing snow and debris on and along the highway since April 15."

--P

Drew Wiley
29-Apr-2014, 16:25
Snow conditions seem to be deeper farther south. Kaiser Pass is not scheduled to open until May 20th, and the Courtright road remains closed. Be safe out there, folks.
Stream runoff will still be high.

ROL
29-Apr-2014, 17:38
Steam runoff will most certainly not be high this year. There simply isn't enough snow(pack) in the central and southern CA watersheds to make it so. Sure, it will be higher than a month ago, but then they will retreat quickly to sub normal levels as summer approaches, never having become bank full. One should always be careful and mindful of conditions in the mountains, but streams hitting high water marks won't be a risk this year. The bigger risk is in streams going dry early in the summer season from two back-to-back drought years. The lower, free-flowing Kings River, having one of the largest watersheds in the central Sierra, will likely peak, given continuing, reasonably warm, average spring temperatures, by the middle of May at less than 5000 cfs. That is far below bank full at 10K or greater, in June, during "wet" years. Courtwright, being quite high, frequently opens up near Memorial Day. Kaiser Pass is normally plowed quickly so that SCE can get into Edison and Florence with ease as early as possible, as those two reservoirs are much lower…

…he says crankily.:D

tgtaylor
29-Apr-2014, 18:28
Stream runoff right now is probably at mid July levels: The small reflection pool for Cathedral Rocks is dry except for a tiny 5 sq foot spot in the center of the meadow; the meadow by Swinging Bridge is bone dry and the water level in the Merced from thee center of the bridge is a few inches - the gravel bed is plainly visible. But the width of the Merced is perfect for photographing Three Brothers from the best vantage point and if you're shooting color you'll capture some nice water color and reflection in the late afternoon.

Of course things will pick-up if El Nino sets in which, as noted above, is a distinct possibility this year.

Thomas

Drew Wiley
30-Apr-2014, 09:19
Gosh Ben, it's not just us seasoned ole mtn goats who read these kinds of posts. So do flatlanders. And I've yet to see a year in the Sierras ever when several naive people didn't drown in the Kern and Merced, and various backcountry streams. You know darn well that once it gets hot, a helluva lot of snow melts fast and keep comin until all those high basins have thinned out. It doesn't take much for someone to lose their footing.

ROL
30-Apr-2014, 09:26
You know darn well that once it gets hot, a helluva lot of snow melts fast and keep comin until all those high basins have thinned out. It doesn't take much for someone to lose their footing.

Gol durn it, Drew, I (I mean ROL!) intimated as much. The point is that there is not going to be a helluva lot of snow melt no matter how, or soon, it gets hot. Snowpack is already thin. 30% of normal is not 100% of high. It doesn't take much for someone to lose their footing on a dry trail, much less not having the mental acuity not go near the lip of water rushing over smooth granite. Shall we enforce a no entry codicil during thunderstorms to our wilderness permits in order to ensure safety? No point in being an alarmist. That's not freedom of the hills (http://www.amazon.com/Mountaineering-The-Freedom-Hills-Mountaineers/dp/0916890015/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1398876793&sr=8-4&keywords=freedom+of+the+hills).

Drew Wiley
30-Apr-2014, 09:51
Never ever underestimate the ability of a neophyte to get in trouble, Ben. We just had two people killed on one of the easiest dry (but steep - with stairs no less!)
trails right around here this past month. Better safe than sorry. If I was heading into a completely unknown kind of terrain relative to my own experience, I'd want
to learn about the dangers first. I've even been considerate enough to warn first-time backpackers out here at Pt Reyes about the dangers encountered on the two
miles of gravel road between the parking lot and official campground, namely the man-eating centipedes and carnivorous deer.

ROL
30-Apr-2014, 10:03
No need to lecture ROL about this, Drew. I'm sure he's never underestimated anyone's ignorance. It's just that he knows the difference between being an actual experienced leader and an armchair alarmist. If you don't appreciate the basic qualities of wilderness that demand the best of the individual, then you understand nothing of the reasons people seek out the wild. ROL Out!

Vaughn
30-Apr-2014, 10:20
...But the width of the Merced is perfect for photographing Three Brothers from the best vantage point...Thomas

You mean like this? ;)

Three Brothers, Three Brothers
8x10 Platinum Print

PS -- A couple weeks ago I went to take a wander up Indian Canyon Creek in Yosemite Valley and was surprised that it was bone dry -- usually it has a nice flow in April.

tgtaylor
30-Apr-2014, 10:34
You mean like this? ;)

Three Brothers, Three Brothers
8x10 Platinum Print

PS -- A couple weeks ago I went to take a wander up Indian Canyon Creek in Yosemite Valley and was surprised that it was bone dry -- usually it has a nice flow in April.

No but close - probably where those people are in the picture. There's a spot there where you get an excellent view of 3 Brothers and the river and not more than 10 feet away (around the bush) El Capitan.

Thomas

Vaughn
30-Apr-2014, 10:50
No but close - probably where those people are in the picture. There's a spot there where you get an excellent view of 3 Brothers and the river and not more than 10 feet away (around the bush) El Capitan.

Thomas

Oh, you mean more like this:

(Watkins, btw. I have this print...16x20...grew up with it and it must have influenced me some)

I think my image was taken a little further upriver. In my image the Middle Brother is taller than the First Brother -- and this is reversed in Watkin's (assumimg both of us had our cameras level).

tgtaylor
30-Apr-2014, 11:50
Thanks for posting that Vaughn. I never knew that Watkins shot it - and apparently from the very same spot that I found to be most appealing. For color it's actually better during the fall when there is some reds in the trees.

Then I guess he must have shot El Capitan from the other side of the bush. One is a morning shot and the other an afternoon shot.

Thomas

Vaughn
30-Apr-2014, 12:04
A Google search of... watkins three brothers ...will bring up a few different views of the Three Brothers by Watkins...including a horizontal and a stereo view.

My print has no identification marks of any kind (it is mounted on board, so something might have been on the back). My best guess it was originally in a large album that someone separated and framed up (the frame has hand-forged nails, so the frame dates roughly back to about the same time the print would have been made). Watkins probably photographed the Three Brothers both in his original trips to Yosemite and for his "New Series" after he got all his negs and prints ripped off by his partner.

Drew Wiley
1-May-2014, 15:39
Alternative trips: The loop road in Sequoia between the Grant Grove entrance as back out the Ash Mtn entrance (or visa versa) is now open. The road down to
Cedar Grove is not due to open until late May. The SEKI website gives current info. The scenic byway south of Yosemite, with trailheads to the south side of the
Clark Range, is now open.

ROL
1-May-2014, 16:19
In my image the Middle Brother is taller than the First Brother -- and this is reversed in Watkin's (assumimg both of us had our cameras level).

"First Brother"? FYI: The succession of the Three Brothers is, from lowest to highest, Lower Brother, Middle Brother, Eagle Peak. The non successively named Eagle Pk., perhaps more logically named "Higher Brother", may have been known as Eagle Point in Watkins' time. I've never heard it referred to as First Brother, correctly.

Watkins' prints, as sharp as a tack when viewed in the flesh, always put me in the mind of Moran paintings for some reason. There is something pictorial about them which it is not entirely easy to pin down – slow shutter speeds with diffused moving water, or perhaps the general tone. Quite inspirational.

ROL
1-May-2014, 17:02
the meadow by Swinging Bridge is bone dry and the water level in the Merced from thee center of the bridge is a few inches - the gravel bed is plainly visible.

I broke a long, hard, and fast rule I have against the taking of "iconic" photographs in Yosemite in May of 2006 (a big water year) to take advantage of ponded Merced River overflow in the meadowed area between the South Side Road and the Swinging Bridge in order to capture Yosemite Falls' entire drop in reflection and deed:

Yosemite Falls Reflection
5x7 TXP 320, Fujinon 180, NO filter – (24"x40" GSP)
http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/albums/Yosemite/Yosemite%20Falls%20Refection.jpg

ROL
1-May-2014, 17:24
Sonora Pass still open? :roll eyes:

(Tioga opens maņana. Buffalo Meatloaf, Cowboy Steaks, and Lobster Tacos for all!)

Drew Wiley
2-May-2014, 08:29
Thanks, MR. Range of Light officially. I've got the truck tuned up and ready for summer, along with a fresh batch of ACROS for my Norma, and plenty of TMY for
the 8x10. But frankly - if you'll excuse my etiquette - I'd prefer a can of Dinty Moore stew over the tailgate Coleman stove to a store-bought taco. Being antisocial
is an important ingredient of early season tune-up hikes. ... some tucked away campsite... maybe a quick dayhike up to the top of Virginia Lks... easy weekend.

Vaughn
2-May-2014, 09:12
"First Brother"? FYI: The succession of the Three Brothers is, from lowest to highest, Lower Brother, Middle Brother, Eagle Peak. The non successively named Eagle Pk., perhaps more logically named "Higher Brother", may have been known as Eagle Point in Watkins' time. I've never heard it referred to as First Brother, correctly.

Watkins' prints, as sharp as a tack when viewed in the flesh, always put me in the mind of Moran paintings for some reason. There is something pictorial about them which it is not entirely easy to pin down – slow shutter speeds with diffused moving water, or perhaps the general tone. Quite inspirational.

Thanks for the correction -- I should have looked it up myself, as I was not sure. Yes tack sharp, with a hint of wind movement in the trees on the right. My print is a bit more faded than the example I pulled off the web. I had it up on my wall too long in a room with a window (but never any direct light on it). Still a beautiful object. I need to cut a new mat for it -- I do that every 20 years or so. I have some 8-ply board of a nice off-white (too warm for most of my work) that I can use for it. If I ever put it back on a wall, I'll have to invest in some UV-blocking glass.

Drew Wiley
2-May-2014, 09:22
Just realize that albumen prints are not to be in direct contact with alkaline substrates, meaning typical BUFFERED "archival" mats or mounting board. You can get
high-end nonbuffered museum board from mfg like Rising, though probably not at a typical art store. I wish more people saw Yosemite through Watkins' eyes.

ROL
2-May-2014, 09:52
Thanks, MR. Range of Light officially. I've got the truck tuned up and ready for summer, along with a fresh batch of ACROS for my Norma, and plenty of TMY for
the 8x10. But frankly - if you'll excuse my etiquette - I'd prefer a can of Dinty Moore stew over the tailgate Coleman stove to a store-bought taco. Being antisocial
is an important ingredient of early season tune-up hikes. ... some tucked away campsite... maybe a quick dayhike up to the top of Virginia Lks... easy weekend.

Not a huge fan of fish taco myself (:rolleyes:). The wife and I also much prefer the tailgate and Coleman, though the fare is usually a bit better than Dinty. But we do make an attempt to treat ourselves to the meatloaf and omelets at least once per trip up 395, or over the hill.

... along with a fresh batch of ACROS for my Norma.
Your wife also shoots? :D

Drew Wiley
2-May-2014, 10:32
My wife has a bit of back trouble with the 4WD and mtn roads, so doesn't typically accompany in the high country, though she previously did some long drives with
me thru the SW and Rockies, alternating motels and car camping to prevent getting totally grubby. She likes the islands etc, and sometimes shoots my 6x7 (which I tote for her, of course), not the view cameras, but mainly prefers underwater photography - just fun stuff in the coral reefs.

Vaughn
2-May-2014, 10:44
Just realize that albumen prints are not to be in direct contact with alkaline substrates, meaning typical BUFFERED "archival" mats or mounting board. You can get high-end nonbuffered museum board from mfg like Rising, though probably not at a typical art store. I wish more people saw Yosemite through Watkins' eyes.

Thanks. I have been replacing the backing board (behind the mounted print) with a buffered matboard occasionally, since the print is glued onto an obviously aciditic board of some kind...thinking to counter the acidity a little. I have a non-buffered window mat on the front now -- I'll have to double check the 8 ply board I have -- probably buffered since off-white non-buffered 8-ply is a rare beastie.

In your opinion, would it be better to forget about using the buffered board behind the aciditic board the print is glued to? Thanks!

PS -- I have always enjoyed the story of when Watkins was asked by a judge why he chose a particular vantage point to photograph a particular mine. It was during a court case concerning an ownership dispute of a mine he had photographed. Watkins simply replied along the lines of, "I always chose the best view."

One can usually tell Watkins images from those of Muybridge, even from the same spot/time/process, as Muybridge always tossed in a person in his images.

Drew Wiley
2-May-2014, 11:01
Muybridge (sp?) had a different feel to his views, even when no people were in the scene. The Oakland Museum here has a wonderful collection of both photographers. I love the work of M.too, but it's more monumental, grand - in the atmospheric sense of blue-sensitive films of course. Watkins was more the genius of pre-abstraction. But his most brilliant photographs don't seem to get published, maybe because the alleged curators and historians aren't as visually sophisticated as people imagine. Never underestimate Watkins - he's well ahead of most of us even today, compositionally, in his finest examples (at least of that relatively small amt of his work which survived the 06 quake and fires). ... But I've kept my various old albumen prints on their original mounts - slightly acidic with mucilage glue no doubt, or else strictly nonbuffered. I've got quite a bit of nonbuffered Rising brite-white 4-ply on hand if you need a small amt, but no 8-ply.

Vaughn
2-May-2014, 11:22
Full name: Eadweard James Muybridge. I saw a Watkins show at the Oakland museum many years ago and have only seen reproductions of Muybridge's work. There is a show of Watkins work up now at Stanford thru Aug17th that I hope to check out this summer if I head down past the SF Bay Area.

I have some 4-ply bright white non-buffered on hand. The Bright White clashes with the color of the albumen, unfortunately. Just looks bad -- but better than damaging the prints.

Drew Wiley
2-May-2014, 11:58
I don't know when my next matboard run will be. Gotta pick up about a hundred sheets at a time to get a real good price at the wholesaler. Maybe in about a month.
I'm splitting some of that off with another photographer. Rising makes a natural white as well as a few other items that aren't so bright. But maybe for the small
sizes and quantities you need, and for a color sample chart, you might want to check out one of the on-line conservation supplies, or perhaps Photographer's Supply on Bryant St in SF.

ROL
2-May-2014, 16:13
Your wife also shoots? :D

Errh… I meant your wife, Norma. Nevermind :o.

Bodyslam
5-May-2014, 10:19
or perhaps Photographer's Supply on Bryant St in SF.

I'm getting reports that Photographer's Supply has closed. It was unique, I don't know what will replace it.

The retail landscape is totally reshuffled, with Calumet closed suddenly, but the opening of a large Samy's.

Drew Wiley
5-May-2014, 10:55
.... Er, I don't know if I'll be traveling with "Norma" or the 8x10 Phillips, which is what I mostly shoot this time of year. I've got both sizes of filmholder loaded and ready to go, but don't like the idea of leaving expensive gear in the truck, so will only choose one or the other. The Norma excels at long views, the 8x10 for big print applications. I'm trying to fennagle an extra day off before the Mem Day traffic so I have time to have a look/see during daylite of last year's big burn area. The Norma with a 450 might be just the ticket there. Not planning any long hikes until Sept, though a couple short high country ones will get squeezed in first. I had a good view of the snowy Sierras from our hills here this past weekend. Windy as heck up on the ridges, but I finally bagged a good 8x10 shot. Still tons of green and fabulous wildflowers here, though I haven't taken a single shot of that kind of subject matter so far this year.

ROL
5-May-2014, 11:51
Two weekends ago on the lower wild Kings, hiding, obviously doing something naughty under that shroud (during a normal water year that river left gravel bank would be mostly covered):

http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/SupportPics/LFPF/KIngs%20River%20LF%202014.jpg

…and a couple of hours later, still doing naughty things, intimately in touch with the consequences of central Sierra snowmelt:

http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/SupportPics/LFPF/Kings%20River%202014.jpg

Drew Wiley
5-May-2014, 12:29
Please please don't make me homesick! I have spent countless days climbing those hills on the lower Kings in Springtime. Although my ranch was right on the edge
of the San Joaquin canyon, the Kings was just a short drive away, though the road up the canyon could take forever. I don't know how many of those steep hills I've lugged my 8x10 up, whether I took a picture or not. Some of the little side canyons have countless little waterfalls in Feb, and a few really tall ones, running over colorful metamorphic rock amidst acres and acres of wildflowers. Looks like you had either some poppies of fiddlenck growing on a distant ridge. One day I got up to the top of a favorite vista point, and straight across the canyon noted an old miner's mule trail with fully 120 switchbacks up the damn fifty degree slope. I counted em. But my side of the canyon was a full sixty degrees, and I had to crab-walk it sideways all the way back down with that 8x10 pack - had one hecka of a stiff neck the next day.