PDA

View Full Version : universal iris for V8 dorff

phillip2446
17-Apr-2014, 09:36
i have a large universal iris for my 2D camera but i need one for my V8 dorff

does anybody know what the biggest universal iris that will fit on a 6x6 deardorff board?
they seem to be very small and i need one with a large opening for my lenses.

thanks

Len Middleton
18-Apr-2014, 09:31
I do not know what is the largest, but I have one that opens to 3.85" (98mm) I bought from eddie, that fits onto the V8 board with little room to spare. Not looking at parting with it though...

Of course the other issue with the Deardorff V8 is with the lens axis tilt, you get enough weight out in front of the lensboard, and you get a front tilt, whether you wanted it or not. Fabricated a couple of "L" brackets to control that...

Jim Noel
18-Apr-2014, 10:57
I have one which fits on a Deardorf 6"board if the mounting wings are oriented toward the corners of the board. NO, it isn't for sale.

Len Middleton
18-Apr-2014, 11:44
Here is what mine looks like:

Jonathan Barlow
25-Apr-2014, 16:54
Kodak 2D 8x10 lens boards and Deardorff 8x10 lens boards are the same size, except for the Deardorff's rounded corners. Unless you have a military V8 that accepts square 2D lens boards.

carverlux
25-Apr-2014, 19:59
Always up for a challenge, I tackled this a few years back and came up with a pretty neat setup, sent it to Adam at SK Grimes and when it came back, I was very pleased with the outcome. This system works quite well not only for mounting lenses using the iris flange on a V8, but also large and heavy lenses I on the P8.

Here is what you see in the attached picture, in order of stacking sequence:

1. A universal iris flange mount, opening about 125mm
2. The 1st SKG adapter which mounts the iris flange to a set of male threads
3. The 2nd SKG adapter with timed, corresponding female threads that the iris flange adapter mounts into, which is then attached to an SKG Sinar lens board
4. This SKG Sinar lens board "sandwich" is then mounted into a Sinar Auto Aperture shutter
5. The thicker "sandwich" with the Sinar Auto Aperture shutter is then mounted into the Deardorff V8 front standard with a Sinar-to-Deardorff lens board adapter

The picture is worth a thousand words - so it can be done, and it does work well. Definitely a buy-once, cry-once affair.

carver

Jim Graves
25-Apr-2014, 21:15
Always up for a challenge, I tackled this a few years back and came up with a pretty neat setup, sent it to Adam at SK Grimes and when it came back, I was very pleased with the outcome. This system works quite well not only for mounting lenses using the iris flange on a V8, but also large and heavy lenses I on the P8.

Here is what you see in the attached picture, in order of stacking sequence:

1. A universal iris flange mount, opening about 125mm
2. The 1st SKG adapter which mounts the iris flange to a set of male threads
3. The 2nd SKG adapter with timed, corresponding female threads that the iris flange adapter mounts into, which is then attached to an SKG Sinar lens board
4. This SKG Sinar lens board "sandwich" is then mounted into a Sinar Auto Aperture shutter
5. The thicker "sandwich" with the Sinar Auto Aperture shutter is then mounted into the Deardorff V8 front standard with a Sinar-to-Deardorff lens board adapter

The picture is worth a thousand words - so it can be done, and it does work well. Definitely a buy-once, cry-once affair.

carver

And, the cost for all parts and machining?

phillip2446
8-Jun-2014, 21:45
i bought a century camera that had an large iris on it. i bought a metal C1 board and got my local metal shop to drill the holes for the lens and the screws. cost $40 for the service and it works great.

phillip2446
9-Jun-2014, 06:43
just curious, are the blades usually black or silver?

fecaleagle
15-Jun-2014, 23:35
And, the cost for all parts and machining?

Let me second this request... Beautiful setup, btw.

John Kasaian
16-Jun-2014, 07:26
Poor man's universal iris=two toilet bowl to tank gasket flange from the True-Value hardware store. Sandwich the lens board in between the gaskets will accommodate a variety of size barrels so long as it clears the light trap inside the front standard.

brucetaylor
16-Jun-2014, 16:03
Poor man's universal iris=two toilet bowl to tank gasket flange from the True-Value hardware store.
Fascinating. Any pics?

phillip2446
17-Jun-2014, 00:30
len, can you show your iris with the blades closed? i want to see if they are silver or black blades. thanks

Jac@stafford.net
17-Jun-2014, 01:10
just curious, are the blades usually black or silver?

Just curious, what difference does it make?
FWIW mine, which opens to a bit over 3" has silver blades.

Len Middleton
17-Jun-2014, 17:23
len, can you show your iris with the blades closed? i want to see if they are silver or black blades. thanks

Philip,
The blades are black.
Hope that help,
Len

phillip2446
18-Jun-2014, 00:10
it does.

alot of people gave me different advice about cleaning rust off the iris blades and the gears.

long story short. it works now pretty well but all the paint came off the iris so it is now the raw metal.

i want to figure out if i should paint it black or just leave it alone.

cheers

phil

taulen
18-Jun-2014, 05:04
The "paint" would need to be VERY thin or it would be very hard to open it fully.

Jac@stafford.net
21-Jun-2014, 14:49
The "paint" would need to be VERY thin or it would be very hard to open it fully.

Painting the leaves is fruitless and unnecessary. The ever-so-little shiny surface on the film side will have zero effect.

phillip2446
22-Jun-2014, 06:22
thanks for the info. i won't paint it. cheers.

Louis Pacilla
22-Jun-2014, 10:45
Paint would never work anyhow because of the friction. It would scrape the paint from all contact surfaces on the blades. All four of my iris lens chucks have blued/blackened blades chemically darkened but certainly NO paint. Now the frames on all of mine were from factory painted black but not the blades .

If you have the skill to disassemble the iris blades & reassemble, you certainly cold try a cold blue treatment on the blades and I bet that would work well. It certainly will do no harm. You would still get wear in the friction areas but not the scraping off of paint which would wind up on the glass and would look crappy fast.