PDA

View Full Version : New LF Black and White film - from Rollei?!

Jeremy_D
7-Oct-2004, 17:08
New B & W LF Film in sheets to 8 by 10 (http://www.photographyblog.com/comments.php?id=4030_0_1_0_C)

Looks like it is actually made by Maco.

David R Munson
7-Oct-2004, 18:02
Variable from EI25-6400? Am I missing something?

Erik Sherman
7-Oct-2004, 18:44
>> Variable from EI25-6400? Am I missing something? <<

If you think about the number of stops from ISO 25 to 6400, it's eight. Most B&W films are going to have that broad a contrast range, so they could claim it, though the images would be pretty poor at the extremes.

domenico Foschi
7-Oct-2004, 23:57
Reading the characteristics of the film , looks like Rollei got very close to the holy grail. I am very curious to read more about this film, and most importantly ....the cost! With everybody else closing the doors , Maco and Roleei will jump at the jugular of us nutcases who still want to fix light in silver instead of wearing it . Good move for Maco to give to their film the name Rollei though...

Emmanuel BIGLER
8-Oct-2004, 05:10
for cost some info is here :
http://www.versandhaus-foto-mueller.de/filme.html

in 4"x5" = 3 times more than Efke in this German shop.

ISO 2
9-Oct-2004, 14:06
I'm really pleased to hear that at long last a camera manufacturer has teamed up with a film manufacturer, although recently I switched to support Fuji film who have been doing this for a long time. Seeing Rollei jump into bed with Macophot is no more surprising than seeing Carl Zeiss slip into a short sequined Cosina skirt, albeit with a long rangefinder base. I think I could get used to this 'hybrid' future for film and film-based cameras.

Perhaps it is a shame that this film is not distinctively new as an emulsion from the previous high-faluting claims for Maco Cube film with its cubic crystal structures which although reasonably sharp when rated at 400ISO, must have one of the most dismal tonal ranges ever seen on its counterparts like Tri-X; Fuji Neopan and Agfa APX400. There is a grain of truth in its claims for film resolution, however excuse me if I feel sceptical (unwontedly so) about its claims for tonal range. Other manufacturers with longer traditions of research into film development might have had a chance to crack this 'holy grail'.

There is nothing untoward about marketing the underdog of the film industry, wedding it to the grand dame Rollei; if I hadn't brought a crate of Maco film earlier on during the year, perhaps I would be less critical about their products. Their film can be fine, or even very fine, however their marketing pitch is hard to justify except as extreme hyperbole, trading on the insecurities and fantasies of traditional film users.

I'll still look forward to trying a few sheets (even at the exorbitant mark-up price over the Efke) however this time I'll not bring a crate back.

Jorge Gasteazoro
9-Oct-2004, 14:26
John from JandC posted prices at APUG for this film. A 25 sheet box is $140. In comparisson a 50 sheet of Tmx 400 is $147 (Badger prices). I seriously doubt this film is twice as good as Tmx 400. Unless someone posts a truly wonderful or exceptional photo with this film I think I am sticking with Tmx.

Jay DeFehr
9-Oct-2004, 16:54
Everyone wants manufacturers to introduce new products as long as they're better than existing products, and cheaper too. We shouldn't be surprised to see more films discontinued than introduced.

Jorge Gasteazoro
9-Oct-2004, 18:06
Well then, let us know how good the film is when you buy it and use it.

Jay DeFehr
10-Oct-2004, 19:39
I would be happy to.