PDA

View Full Version : Calumet 4x5 - missing parts

Mike Costello
7-Oct-2004, 15:48
I have a Calumet 4x5 monorail camera with a ~12" rail and a recessed front standard. It seems to be a wide angle model. It is black. The back seems to be missing the horseshoe shaped lift bar that lifts the spring back from the real standard, allowing loading film backs. All else seems fine, it is just missing the lift bar. There are two small pegs on the spring back that seems to lend itself to using this lift bar.

- Can anyone advise in the camera model/age?
- Can anyone advise if the movements are limited when compared to long-rail models?
- Can anyone advise where I can get a lift bar?
- Does anyone have specs on this unit?

Nick_3536
7-Oct-2004, 15:53
Calumet should still have parts I think. The question is do they have the part you need. I think you might have a wide angle version of the CC400. I bet the movements are fine within the limits of the rail and bellows. Should be better with short lens then the other models.

David Karp
7-Oct-2004, 15:55
I can only help you regarding a source for parts. Call the main Calumet number in the Chicago area and ask for Jose in the repair department. He knows more about large format cameras than anyone else there. They often have parts for their old cameras and he will be the one to know if they have the parts you need.

Good luck.

Merg Ross
7-Oct-2004, 16:35
You are missing the bail. This is a good camera for architectural work or other wide angle uses and avoids the necessity of a recessed board. My 1970 model was gray and I used it mostly with a 90mm Super Angulon on assignment.

James E Galvin
8-Oct-2004, 08:26
Hi, The CC400 has the normal length rail, I can't keep straight the CC401 and CC402, one has a longer rail and the other the 12 inch. The bellows is more pleated than usual, just for movements with a short lens. It might e described as a "semi" bag bellows. It is my impression that Calument changed from grey to black paint about 1970, and produced the CC series till 1981. I use mine with 65 to 135 lenses. Much better than using the standard CC400 with recessed boards. Doesn't need a recessed board with even shorter than the 65. The movements are the same as the longer models, indeed the only difference is the front recess, and the front standard support turned around to let the standards get cleser. I just got a new bellows from Calumet for it, they should have the bail, which is the same for all 3 models. I have the little brochure, could scan it and email it to you, along with a pic of the bail.

ronald moravec
9-Oct-2004, 09:58
I`m willing to sell a 16" or 20" rail model , excellent condition. It will have the bail you need. I replaced them with a Zone 6 for easier transport. They are both functional.

Ernest Purdum
9-Oct-2004, 10:12
CC-401 is the long model. Mike's wide angle version is the CC-402.