PDA

View Full Version : X-Ray Film easy to get?

rknewcomb
14-Apr-2014, 10:47
Hi,
Are folks finding X-Ray film to easy to get? I noticed on the auction site and Google that I don't see as many places to buy it as I did at one time.
Gotta a good place?
Thanks,
Robert

DannL
14-Apr-2014, 11:01
Though I'm not using x-ray film now, back in the day I would have ordered it from Z&Z Medical Inc. (http://www.zzmedical.com/analog-x-ray-supplies/x-ray-film.html)

I was using Kodak's version. Can't speak for the others.

jon.oman
14-Apr-2014, 14:38
http://www.cxsonline.com/

Andrew O'Neill
14-Apr-2014, 14:59
As DannL and Jon said. I get my green latitude from cxsonline and single-sided kodak from zed zed medical. Easy.

Tin Can
14-Apr-2014, 15:27
I was recently in hospital and my X-Ray tech told me one of the big drivers to Digital X-Ray was their inability to get sufficient X-Ray film.

I plan to stock up shortly. Not today, but later this week!

I find ZZ Medical the cheapest delivered to Chicago. Five, 100 sheet boxes to a case. I just checked ZZ and the price of Kodak CSG Green 8x10 is up 20%. Still cheap. Case, $195 plus $14 shipping.

StoneNYC
14-Apr-2014, 15:46
I was recently in hospital and my X-Ray tech told me one of the big drivers to Digital X-Ray was their inability to get sufficient X-Ray film.

I plan to stock up shortly. Not today, but later this week!

I find ZZ Medical the cheapest delivered to Chicago. Five, 100 sheet boxes to a case. I just checked ZZ and the price of Kodak CSG Green 8x10 is up 20%. Still cheap. Case, $195 plus $14 shipping.

My Ex was a doctor at Yale Hospital and told me most of it was about speed and convenience, by having digital they could get results immediately. They also didn't need another person to run the film from one place to another and can be accessed on any computer throughout the hospital immediately, so this helps save lives.

However Yale is of course one of the best hospitals so this may be less true for other smaller hospitals.

rknewcomb
14-Apr-2014, 17:48
I thought maybe is was getting a little harder.
Thank you for all the good information - I appreciate it.
Robert

Michael Kadillak
14-Apr-2014, 18:50
My Ex was a doctor at Yale Hospital and told me most of it was about speed and convenience, by having digital they could get results immediately. They also didn't need another person to run the film from one place to another and can be accessed on any computer throughout the hospital immediately, so this helps save lives.

However Yale is of course one of the best hospitals so this may be less true for other smaller hospitals.

But the lawyers are still running the show on cross examination and analog resolution still rules.

Michael Kadillak
14-Apr-2014, 21:10
I am experimenting with 11x14 green and blue x ray sheet film and in my research the only single sided radiography sheet film is mammography film that does not come in standard sizes. I have acquired a box of the mammography film that appears to have a considerable d max (4.0+) and will cut it down to 8x10. Will post my results.

Tin Can
14-Apr-2014, 21:35
Many here are using this. I use it also.

http://www.zzmedical.com/analog-x-ray-supplies/x-ray-film/kodak-x-ray-film/8x10-in-kodak-ektascan-b-ra-single-emulsion-video-film.html

I am experimenting with 11x14 green and blue x ray sheet film and in my research the only single sided radiography sheet film is mammography film that does not come in standard sizes. I have acquired a box of the mammography film that appears to have a considerable d max (4.0+) and will cut it down to 8x10. Will post my results.

adelorenzo
14-Apr-2014, 22:53
Damn. I've been looking for somewhere to buy the Fuji X-ray duplicating film and Z&Z carries it. Unfortunately their site is telling me it is a restricted item and cannot ship to Canada.

Tin Can
14-Apr-2014, 22:58
Which exact film and size?

Damn. I've been looking for somewhere to buy the Fuji X-ray duplicating film and Z&Z carries it. Unfortunately their site is telling me it is a restricted item and cannot ship to Canada.

Tin Can
14-Apr-2014, 23:06
Look at this

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/83747-questions-about-xray-dupe-film.html

I can't read it now, but it sounds very slow speed.

StoneNYC
15-Apr-2014, 01:38

http://www.zzmedical.com/analog-x-ray-supplies/x-ray-film/kodak-x-ray-film/8x10-in-kodak-ektascan-b-ra-single-emulsion-video-film.html

As much as I like the ektascan and price, it's only $20 less than ilford per box, but it doesn't say how many sheets are in the box? Most boxes seem to be 100 sheets so if it is, then if course this makes sense to snag, but I can't be sure, can someone confirm the box count?

adelorenzo
15-Apr-2014, 08:12
Which exact film and size?....I can't read it now, but it sounds very slow speed.

I'm looking to use it for making negative enlargements and/or copies. So slow speed is just fine. Basically any white sensitive duplicating film will do, one that produces a direct image (ie. a negative from a negative). 10x12 to start with.

The Fuji MI-DUP film seems to fit the bill. But if you have any other suggestions....

Tin Can
15-Apr-2014, 09:33

As much as I like the ektascan and price, it's only $20 less than ilford per box, but it doesn't say how many sheets are in the box? Most boxes seem to be 100 sheets so if it is, then if course this makes sense to snag, but I can't be sure, can someone confirm the box count?

Tin Can
15-Apr-2014, 09:34
I don't do that. But that APUG link does talk about it.

I have zero suggestions.

Let us know what you do.

I'm looking to use it for making negative enlargements and/or copies. So slow speed is just fine. Basically any white sensitive duplicating film will do, one that produces a direct image (ie. a negative from a negative). 10x12 to start with.

The Fuji MI-DUP film seems to fit the bill. But if you have any other suggestions....

rknewcomb
15-Apr-2014, 09:38
Here you go.
http://www.ultrafineonline.com/ulcotodufi.html

Ultrafine Continuous Tone Duplicating Film - and fairly cheap too.

Robert

adelorenzo
15-Apr-2014, 10:12
Yeah I've been looking at the Ultrafine stuff too. Their shipping to Canada is outrageous (more than the cost of film) but I might have to bite the bullet.

Tin Can
15-Apr-2014, 10:31
O' Canada!

There must be good reasons you live in the Yukon.

Shipping is always expensive to the back of beyond.

Yeah I've been looking at the Ultrafine stuff too. Their shipping to Canada is outrageous (more than the cost of film) but I might have to bite the bullet.

Jerry Bodine
19-Apr-2014, 11:09

Has anyone used HC-110 to develop this stuff, and what ballpark dev time for a given dilution? That's the only dev I've been using lately.

Tin Can
19-Apr-2014, 11:11
I do HC 110 at 1-50 oops 49... for 8 min tray easy agit.

Has anyone used HC-110 to develop this stuff, and what ballpark dev time for a given dilution? That's the only dev I've been using lately.

Jerry Bodine
19-Apr-2014, 11:44
I do HC 110 at 1-50 oops 49... for 8 min tray easy agit.

Thanks, Randy. That'll get me started. I only use trays. I only plan to do one sheet at a time for starters, since I understand this stuff scratches easily. Does "easy agit" mean gentle rocking continuously or at some interval?

NancyP
19-Apr-2014, 12:43
Most large hospitals have stopped using film. The grayscale computer monitors used to view digital film are highly specialized and have far better resolution and more grayscale levels than one can see on most "professional graphics" monitors. The monitors have improved by leaps and bounds in the past few years, and I do believe that routinely used x ray film is going to be essentially obsolete in the first world in the near future. Mammography has gone digital in the last few years, and this was going to be the last major area of radiology to go digital. Part of the appeal of digital has been in machine-assisted diagnosis using comparison of yearly images. At least that is what I gather from the local mammographer.

Tin Can
19-Apr-2014, 12:58
I very gently rock for the first minute. Then gently rock 5 seconds every minute. I use that technique on all my film. I do change the times for some film.

I just switched to TF5 and see a tremendous difference in my negs. TF5 seems to improve the neg. No stop, just a dip in water for 10 seconds. Then a 5 minute moving water wash.

Works for me.

I gave up on shuffling sheets, too many scratches. I shoot some and immediately develop it. I do this late at night and hang my film to try overnight. Very complete drying seems to eliminate dust, in my dusty house. I look at the negs as they are almost dry and there IS dust, but by morning the dust IS gone. I do run a HEPA filter in darkroom on a timer in my sleep. Maybe that helps.

Thanks, Randy. That'll get me started. I only use trays. I only plan to do one sheet at a time for starters, since I understand this stuff scratches easily. Does "easy agit" mean gentle rocking continuously or at some interval?

Tin Can
19-Apr-2014, 13:00
I agree, and my recent X-Ray tech agreed.

Most large hospitals have stopped using film. The grayscale computer monitors used to view digital film are highly specialized and have far better resolution and more grayscale levels than one can see on most "professional graphics" monitors. The monitors have improved by leaps and bounds in the past few years, and I do believe that routinely used x ray film is going to be essentially obsolete in the first world in the near future. Mammography has gone digital in the last few years, and this was going to be the last major area of radiology to go digital. Part of the appeal of digital has been in machine-assisted diagnosis using comparison of yearly images. At least that is what I gather from the local mammographer.

Andrew O'Neill
19-Apr-2014, 13:06
Randy, are you using single or double-sided X-ray film?

Tin Can
19-Apr-2014, 13:08
I use both.

Randy, are you using single or double-sided X-ray film?

Andrew O'Neill
19-Apr-2014, 13:10
Ya, me too. I'm quite vigorous with my agitation at first, then gentle 5 sec every minute. I found that if I don't give vigorous agitation for the first minute, I would get uneven development. Very noticeable in skies. Flat-bottomed tray.

Tin Can
19-Apr-2014, 13:40
Good point on the flat bottom trays. They are preferable for negatives.

I had to calm down when agitating when I first did X-Ray, I was way overdoing it.

Ya, me too. I'm quite vigorous with my agitation at first, then gentle 5 sec every minute. I found that if I don't give vigorous agitation for the first minute, I would get uneven development. Very noticeable in skies. Flat-bottomed tray.