PDA

View Full Version : Seeking help: Pick up and packing enlarger in Dresden

jumanji
12-Apr-2014, 01:44
I'm interested in a MF enlarger in Dresden, Germany. However the seller wont ship it, it's for pick up only. So anyone nearby Dresden could help me pick up, pack and ship it to Aachen? I have a friend in Aachen and she could bring me the enlarger this summer.
Im willing to pay a fee for this, or any LF accessories that i have.

hoffner
12-Apr-2014, 02:59
My friend,
do you realise that in order to ship it the enlarger needs to be dismantled? There is a good reason why the seller doesn't want to ship. I'm afraid that your desire is greater than your common sense.

jumanji
12-Apr-2014, 03:19
Yes, i know it would take time and effort. Just thought why not try, someone might be able...

Nicolasllasera
12-Apr-2014, 03:21
If it was in my town I would do it. I know what it is to not find the right equipment in your town and how hard it is to get them shipped. Good luck.

hoffner
12-Apr-2014, 03:28
Yes, i know it would take time and effort. Just thought why not try, someone might be able...

It's not just a question of ability. It's more a question of responsibility. Old screws and bolts get destroyed when you try to unscrew them, parts can be broken. Then the responsibility for packaging it correctly to be mishandled by the post etc. It's a very risky business.

HMG
12-Apr-2014, 06:28
I would suggest providing the make and model of the enlarger as the feasibility might vary. For example, a fairly recent Beseler 23c might be easier than an older Omega B8 (as hoffner mentions - old screws and bolts). You might also check with shipping companies in Dresden who might be able to crate the entire enlarger (minus baseboard) and ship to Aachen or directly to you. Then it's just a matter of getting enlarger to them and removing baseboard.

jumanji
12-Apr-2014, 07:48
I assume this would not be easy. It's a Durst M805. The seller said that DHL offer packing service but for business account only. At first he said he would be able to ship, but he has changed his mind. I've been looking for a complete set up like this for a long time.
I recently bought a Saunder LPL 4550XL for $450 in NC, but it took almost double that amount for shipping that beast to my location. I'm still happy, because at least for a price, I can get it.

Doremus Scudder
13-Apr-2014, 03:36
It's not just a question of ability. It's more a question of responsibility. Old screws and bolts get destroyed when you try to unscrew them, parts can be broken. Then the responsibility for packaging it correctly to be mishandled by the post etc. It's a very risky business.

I assume this would not be easy. It's a Durst M805. ... but it took almost double that amount for shipping that beast to my location. I'm still happy, because at least for a price, I can get it.

The question is not one of feasibility, but of expense. Manufacturers ship their products all over the world and still make a profit, and the Durst M805 certainly got shipped to resellers too. Dismantling and packing well and the shipping costs are important considerations, but both doable. And, replacing any "old screws and bolts" that get broken in the dismantling process shouldn't be all that hard.

You just have to get a reasonable idea of how much it will cost to get the piece of equipment to you in the time frame you require.

Best,

Doremus

JMB
13-Apr-2014, 04:55
I'm interested in a MF enlarger in Dresden, Germany. However the seller wont ship it, it's for pick up only. So anyone nearby Dresden could help me pick up, pack and ship it to Aachen? I have a friend in Aachen and she could bring me the enlarger this summer. Im willing to pay a fee for this, or any LF accessories that i have.

If you can work out the details, I will be happy to pick up the enlarger and ship it to Aachen for you. Just make sure that you determine accurately the actual cost of shipping and that it makes sense to you.

Incidentally, I do not know anything about the Durst M805 or your deal of course. But I have a Durst 138 (condenser head) that I could ship alternatively to you or your friend from Berlin. I have no idea what the shipping cost would be.

jumanji
13-Apr-2014, 06:00
I wish you post this earlier... It's gone :( Thank you JMB for your kind offer. And thank you guys for chiming in.
A little sad, but I will keep looking. I will need at least two MF enlargers.

JMB
14-Apr-2014, 03:01
Sorry we missed the buzzer. But best of luck in your hunt.