PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 camera for portraits

fairmn
10-Apr-2014, 21:56
Help me choose a camera. I’d like to take 5x7 B&W portraits at home with a soft-focus Verito lens, head & shoulders to ½. Working space is 14’10” x 13’. I already have a set of tungsten spot and flood lights, largely Moles and Photogenic, looking for pretty much a 1940s look on Ilford FP4, and would be moving up from an RB67 to LF. No prior experience on LF, but I’ve got 20 years to figure things out and realize creamy tonal goodness. Budget for the camera, everything not including lens, cannot exceed $1,000, preferably $600-$700. What are your thoughts about these options for what would be a specialized platform for a Verito 14 ½ or 16 ½ that need never venture outside for landscapes. Movements would be needed for the usual portrait corrective purposes, but it’s not necessary to blow the bank on Scheimpflug. Would prefer a solid, smooth-functioning dependable camera over an exotic tempermental project. I can get the developing done elsewhere, and a 4x5 back seems sensible as a backup to 5x7 film.
Potential sample choices:
1) 5x7 flatbed, maybe a gray Ansco Universal
2) 8x10 Century with a 5x7 back
3) 5x7 monorail, like a Norma or Toyo 57G
4) 8x10 monorail with 5x7 back

dsphotog
10-Apr-2014, 22:14
One vote for an 8x10 Century Studio camera or similar and stand.
Since you soon might want to shoot 8x10.....
You'll want a camera to grow into, not out of.

Tin Can
10-Apr-2014, 22:31
I fully agree. Great choice for studio work.

You just missed my Ansco studio camera and stand, sold here. It was held last week by deposit and is being picked up this weekend.

You should list your location when hunting big game.

Since you soon might want to shoot 8x10.....
You'll want a camera to grow into, not out of.

jcoldslabs
10-Apr-2014, 22:54

+1

I never would have guessed it because of the size, but for portraits or anything in a studio-type setting a Century Studio camera on a Semi-Centennial stand (or Agfa/Ansco equivalent, I'm sure) is easier to use than even my 4x5 on a tripod. The one thing I sometimes miss are front standard movements, but only rarely.

Jonathan

goamules
11-Apr-2014, 06:06
However, Century studios don't have a ton of movements, just rear swing and tilt. Also, Veritos are small lenses compared to other portrait types. You don't need a 9" lensboard for one. Since your budget is cheap, I'd look for a Burk and James. They have lots of movements and are robust and cheap.

John Kasaian
11-Apr-2014, 06:21
The B&J Rembrandt dual monorail (bi-rail?) Was a 5x7 designed especially for portraiture and are often found at low cost. Check 'em out.

jbenedict
11-Apr-2014, 08:50
However, Century studios don't have a ton of movements, just rear swing and tilt. Also, Veritos are small lenses compared to other portrait types. You don't need a 9" lensboard for one. Since your budget is cheap, I'd look for a Burk and James. They have lots of movements and are robust and cheap.

Dedicated portrait cameras really don't need movements!

Tin Can
11-Apr-2014, 09:09
Exactly my experience. I learned by using one. It is so easy to move the camera and stand to do a portrait, far easier than any other studio setup I have and have 4. It's ready to go. Elevation is fast. All controls are at the rear. Stand tilt, camera focus, FP tilt and swing are quickly dialed in. Huge movements are not used in portraits, so no need for monorail or flatbed.

In my opinion nothing compares in speed and ease of use. It is a brilliant design proven through at least 40 years of production in all variations and used in every portrait studio in USA for many decades. It is said every small town had one. Of course cities, many more.

I only sold mine so I could maneuver my huge and clumsy Deardorff Studio 11x14, which is not a portrait camera, but a studio product camera.

Good luck, a lens is a great way to start. Look for holders soon. Cameras are everywhere, the Semi-Centennial stands are not. and they don't ship, too big.

Steven Tribe
11-Apr-2014, 12:37
Compared with the Victorian furniture-type stands, the bi-post Century/Kodaks are a joy to move. All you need to do is remove the cast iron base (4 bolts) and disconnect the table strut. I have moved them in a tiny FIAT Panda, along with the matching camera, sliding backs and film holders. No passengers, though!

5x7 sliding backs for the Century are the most commonly available.

goamules
11-Apr-2014, 12:44

Um....ok. So how do you get both eyes in focus with an F3.6 16" petzval with the model not looking straight at the camera? Answer: movements.

Mark Sawyer
11-Apr-2014, 14:56
What are your thoughts about these options for what would be a specialized platform for a Verito 14 ½ or 16 ½ that need never venture outside for landscapes. Movements would be needed for the usual portrait corrective purposes, but it’s not necessary to blow the bank on Scheimpflug.

You'll definitely want some movements, but you're right, nothing excessive. The Rembrandt 5x7 is a great little tailboard portrait camera, but may not have the extension you need for a 145.5" to 16.5" lens at portrait distance. (BTW, the Verito came in 14.5" and 18", not 16.5".) I'd go with the Century 8x10 studio camera or something similar, although almost any 8x10 or 5x7 with enough bellows draw would be sufficient. Keep in mind a big studio camera should have a studio stand, and now we're talking furniture-size equipment. But there's something special about using an old studio camera... :)

Dan Dozer
11-Apr-2014, 15:05
Um....ok. So how do you get both eyes in focus with an F3.6 16" petzval with the model not looking straight at the camera? Answer: movements.

Thank you - I'm glad someone else mentioned this also. I use movements quite frequently with portraits.

Armin Seeholzer
11-Apr-2014, 15:11
A Burke & James the battle ship grey one would do it in 5x7 or 8x10, has enough bellows extension and also all kind of camera movements like a normal studio camera!

Cheers Armin

Mark MacKenzie
11-Apr-2014, 20:10
His studio space is 15 foot max. You gonna get a big studio camera in there to take portraits? Seems too tight for me....

Luddite Frank
11-Apr-2014, 21:48
One word about ANSCO bellows cameras: check the bellows ! Sometime after WW II ( maybe before), Ansco started using a plastic-coated bellows that does NOT age well. The plastic becomes VERY brittle, and starts to crack at the corners, then split at the folds.

I recently purchased a "nice" Ansco Universal 5x7 View camera, and found the bellows as described above.

So far I have a quote of $250 to have a new bellows made from Gor-tite.

Just something to keep in mind.

BradS
12-Apr-2014, 07:01
There's a very nice 5x7 portrait camera offered for sale in the classified section here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?112281). http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?112281

fairmn
12-Apr-2014, 09:40
Thank you for your thoughtful responses. Like Mark Mackenzie, I am concerned about the small space available. So no lens larger than the 14.5” Verito, and I can remove a bookcase against a wall and expand to 16.5’ x 13’. Working with an RB67 with 180mm and 150mm lens, I have plenty of space. The lights are close in because of the rapid light drop-off from the fresnels and slower 125 film.

Long ago I borrowed on interlibrary loan the long out of print Professional Portrait Lightings, Charles Abel, 1947, and photocopied the lighting diagrams. Lots of conventional sample portraits from commercial photographers in Milwaukee, St. Louis, West Virginia and downstate Illinois, and a surprisingly common use of fluorescent light. About 2/3 of the cameras used are Centurys (with film backs ranging from 4x5 to 11x14). Studio cameras of all brands have c. 80-85 percent share. Most frequent is a 5x7 back on a Century for head and shoulders and 11-12 feet working space from the front of the lens to the backdrop: 7 feet from camera to subject, 4-5 feet from subject to backdrop. For a photographer in Kaukauna, WI, total studio space is listed at 16’ x 18.’ Full-length bridal gown photos need 20-plus feet.

Fred Archer on Portraiture, 2nd ed. , 1954, is more of an educational text. Semi-centennial stands are nowhere to be found, no soft focus allowed. 5x7 cameras are perched on almost spindly wooden tripods. No listed dimensions, but everything is close in because of the shortage of light.

If can squeeze in the 8x10 Century on a stand, I would do it. Pickup sounds like a perfect excuse for a 3-4 day roadtrip within 1500 miles of Portland OR. But will it really fit?

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
12-Apr-2014, 09:44
Considering the size of your space, and desire for a "solid, smooth-functioning dependable camera", I would look for a monorail. Not as cool or period as the other suggestions, but so much more practical and usable. Lensboards are easy to get and cheap and movements are plentiful. If you get a Sinar you can also eventually buy a Sinar shutter. I have gone through lots of flatbeds and dedicated studio cameras. Aside from appearance and lensboard size, they just don't stand up to a good monorail, especially in a small space.

If you don't mind the weight, Bluemoon has a Linhof 5x7 Kardan-Color right now that might be worth looking at.