PDA

View Full Version : Best time to visit Page, AZ/slot canyons

dave4242
10-Apr-2014, 21:37
Hey everyone

Planning this years vacation and I want to do the slot canyons.

So what time of year is best?

What tour/guide to hire for Antelope Canyon?

Any suggestions/ideas are welcome.

Thanks all!

Drew Wiley
11-Apr-2014, 08:29
Antelope Can is readily accessible. In fact it's a bit of a tourist zoo at times. I really like the canyons in Nov. They can be rather cold down in the shade; but you
don't have the flies like in the late Spring. You want to avoid the flash flood season at all costs, which usually extends from midsummer until late Oct. In all such canyons, a storm far away upstream, that you are not even aware of, can move very very quickly through those kinds of canyons. But it is vital, in every single
visit, regardless of time of year, to check the immediate local forecast, meaning up in the hills too. Late summer is the highest statistical risk, but you only need to
be wrong once. If you feel you need a guide, check around Page, Az. for a referral.

goamules
11-Apr-2014, 14:57
Definitely not from May - Sep, too hot. Winter or Fall is best. Spring....well, you just missed it, is about 3 weeks long. We're hitting almost 100 the past few days.

dave4242
11-Apr-2014, 16:15
Thanks
I want to do Lower Antelope canyon, waterhole, and peaches, any other ideas?
Do I ned to hire a guide for any/all of these?
Thanks again

goamules
11-Apr-2014, 16:59
I don't know those. My slot canyons are in lower AZ and NM. And aren't in many guides. I would buy a book or look for some websites specifically on slot canyons. They're out there. But some here may have been to some you mention, to give advice.

Mark Barendt
12-Apr-2014, 00:34
Thanks
I want to do Lower Antelope canyon, waterhole, and peaches, any other ideas?
Do I ned to hire a guide for any/all of these?
Thanks again

Last time I was at Lower Antelope there was just an extra fee, no guide, been a while though. Don't know at the others.

dave4242
14-Apr-2014, 20:44
Thanks