PDA

View Full Version : Film Photography Retreat

WayneStevenson
10-Apr-2014, 20:49
I have had this thought in the back of my mind since Ilford was asking those of us who had darkrooms, if we would make them available for the public awhile back. And any time I go on vacation with my family and my urge to constantly peer through a ground glass of any type has to take a back seat to quality family time.

Have you ever wanted to go on a photographic retreat to some sort of resort with full access to on-site professional darkroom, on-site supplies, studio, workshops, scenic photo tours, etc? And maybe something for the wife and kids to do? Heh.

DrTang
11-Apr-2014, 10:32
studio maybe

toyotadesigner
11-Apr-2014, 11:49
Have you ever wanted to go on a photographic retreat to some sort of resort with full access to on-site professional darkroom,

No. I just mail my exposed slides back to a lab in my country to have them developed and mailed to my mailbox at home. Very convenient.

on-site supplies,

I've got everything with me if I travel, no need for a shopping spree.

studio

No, I never need a studio.

workshops

Hm, why a workshop during my vacation or travel?

scenic photo tours, etc?

I plan the tours myself prior to the travel.

And maybe something for the wife and kids to do?

I'm not married and without kids, pets, etc. (Unfortunately). But if I would be married, I wouldn't want to bother my family with my stuff.

lenser
11-Apr-2014, 15:44
Toyo,

Just marry another photographer, especially one who shares your joy in travel.

Tin Can
11-Apr-2014, 16:11
Today I got an order from Photography Formulary, with the order was a workshop flier sponsored by Freestyle. Look this up http://www.workshopsinmt.com/

That's all I know, but it sounds great.

I cannot attend.

I have had this thought in the back of my mind since Ilford was asking those of us who had darkrooms, if we would make them available for the public awhile back. And any time I go on vacation with my family and my urge to constantly peer through a ground glass of any type has to take a back seat to quality family time.

Have you ever wanted to go on a photographic retreat to some sort of resort with full access to on-site professional darkroom, on-site supplies, studio, workshops, scenic photo tours, etc? And maybe something for the wife and kids to do? Heh.

WayneStevenson
11-Apr-2014, 17:25
"I've got everything with me if I travel, no need for a shopping spree."

Heh. So do I. I always hate being so over-loaded. And I always over-pack.

"why a workshop during my vacation or travel?"

Different strokes for different folks. ;)

WayneStevenson
11-Apr-2014, 17:26
Thanks Randy. That's awesome. :D

Tin Can
11-Apr-2014, 17:29
For true blue Northerners, there is http://www.photostockfest.com/

Alas, I will not be going to this either. I almost made it last year...

StoneNYC
11-Apr-2014, 19:13
I was going to say ^^^^ you're talking about photostock ....

Winger
11-Apr-2014, 19:22
For true blue Northerners, there is http://www.photostockfest.com/

Alas, I will not be going to this either. I almost made it last year...

This is a great time if you can go.

And I would love to be able to find the time to go to a LF-specific workshop. It just isn't always easy to carve out the right time on our schedule.

I did take a class at the Rocky Mountain School of Photography in Montana in 2006. It was small format, but it was a lot of fun.

Now if someone would run a photo workshop with side stuff for husbands and kids, that might sell here. Or at least kids.

WayneStevenson
11-Apr-2014, 19:32
That does sound like a great time. I would love to make that trip some day. :D

JMB
12-Apr-2014, 03:40
[Have you ever wanted to go on a photographic retreat to some sort of resort with full access to on-site professional darkroom, on-site supplies, studio, workshops, scenic photo tours, etc? And maybe something for the wife and kids to do? [/QUOTE]

This is a good idea. In fact, I am working on this loosely and informally from various angles. I have a darkroom set up in Vienna and one almost completed in Berlin. In a few weeks I will visit Sicily to inspect several sites that might work most closely for what you have in mind.

And I am also actively looking for space in San Francisco (which would become the center of my own activities) that would function in a much more bohemian way. In other communications I have described the San Francisco location as a the space that would house a darkroom for sure, but mostly maintain a Viennese café-like atmosphere (or some eclectic home made version that builds up around an espresso machine, a small bar, and a wall of good books). The space would be a “studio” in the broadest sense of the word –a place to study and practice art, but also a place for artists and thinkers of a certain sort to gather. I am hoping that a place something like Ken Kesey, Rodin, and Kiki de Martpanasse would have prized might spring up. The San Francisco area seems right for this sort of experiment.

In any case, a good supply of black and white chemicals, film, and paper would be available at each site.

bob carnie
12-Apr-2014, 05:44
I can give a big thumbs up for Photostock.

WayneStevenson
13-Apr-2014, 09:02
Photostock looks like a great personal retreat. :D I am going to have to go there next time I'm down that way. :)