PDA

View Full Version : My amazing Craigslist Speed Graphic find (sorry, pic heavy)

Trevor Whitaker
10-Apr-2014, 10:19
I've been looking for a Speed Graphic off and on for a few months, taking my time looking for a good one at a good price while reading and learning more about them. I've only checked Craigslist once or twice and there were never any local, just ads up in Los Angeles for them but I was poking around on eBay and a few other sites and figured I'd check CL too. I'm so glad I did, two hours before I checked someone posted an ad for one local to me listed as being nearly new in box. I contacted him immediately and we made an appointment to meet so he could show me the camera.

I went over to his studio this morning to take a look and there was no way I wasn't walking out with this. The Speed was in it's original box with all of the original paperwork and (for some odd reason) what looks like a brand new baby Speed film holder (this is a 4x5 SG) and came with a box of three brand new 4x5 holders, a brand new Graflite Reflector, a flash (not new) and a some bulbs (both blue and clear).

The focal plane shutter works smoothly at all speeds and looks/sounds accurate but I'll test it later. The lens is a Kodak 127mm f4.7 in a Syncro-Compur shutter, it's going to need a CLA because it's sticky in all of the slow speeds.

He said he's owned it for about 12-13 years and got it from a friend who worked at a small college. The college was cleaning out old storerooms and throwing everything away when they found a couple of boxes of photo equipment. His friend knew he was a photographer and called him and asked if he wanted any of it. He said he went over and took a look but most of it was junk except for the Speed. He only took it and the accessories here and has owned it since. It appeared to be brand new when he got it and he's never actually used it other than to unpack it and fire the shutter on the lens to see if it worked.

Sorry, not the greatest photos but I was excitedly opening and taking quick shots when I got home. I can't wait to get this out and give it a go!

Trevor Whitaker
10-Apr-2014, 10:20
More pictures...

Trevor Whitaker
10-Apr-2014, 10:20
And the last pics..

toolbox
10-Apr-2014, 10:41
Nice! That's probably the cleanest top mount Speed I've seen in a while. I have three of them, but none are as nice as that. With the Graphic rangefinder, it was made in 1955 or later (IIRC production of that camera stopped in 1963). That's an excellent lens and shutter as well. While not the rarest Graflex camera, the top mount Speed isn't nearly as common the Crown. Great score!

Jim C.
10-Apr-2014, 11:52
Nice score !

dsphotog
10-Apr-2014, 11:58
Nice find!
Are the batteries still inside the rangefinder?

Trevor Whitaker
10-Apr-2014, 12:20
Nice find!
Are the batteries still inside the rangefinder?

No, there's a little block of black wood in the battery compartment.

Trevor Whitaker
10-Apr-2014, 12:22
I thought the flash was used because it has scratches on it but I just opened the battery compartment and found the original manual still rolled up inside. I took the film holders out of the box and found the original manual for those as well.

Alan Gales
10-Apr-2014, 13:22
No, there's a little block of black wood in the battery compartment.

I think that is the way they came from the factory.

Nice camera!

toolbox
10-Apr-2014, 13:29

Nice camera!

Correct...they left the factory with the block of wood as a filler to keep the battery door in place. You don't see them very often though, as they got tossed when people put batteries in them. I've got one sitting around on my bench somewhere...

Trevor Whitaker
10-Apr-2014, 14:13

Nice camera!

Mine has a drawing of the battery with polarity indicated done in pencil. Do you know if that's that how they came or did someone do that later?

Peter Collins
10-Apr-2014, 17:15
Wow, what a find! Really, what a gift!!!

Corran
11-Apr-2014, 17:55
Nice! Mind sharing what you paid?

Trevor Whitaker
11-Apr-2014, 21:09
Nice! Mind sharing what you paid?

$450

Alan Gales
11-Apr-2014, 21:39
Mine has a drawing of the battery with polarity indicated done in pencil. Do you know if that's that how they came or did someone do that later?

Sorry, but I don't know the answer to that one. The wooden block is long gone in my used Crown and there is no pencil drawing inside, just a battery.

EdSawyer
12-Apr-2014, 10:07
Nice score, fair price.

Noah B
12-Apr-2014, 12:19
I love older cameras, that looks terrific! Great find!

Drew Bedo
13-Apr-2014, 05:42
We are just stewards of these old cameras, using and careing for them until we pass them on to someone else.

Trevor Whitaker
13-Apr-2014, 18:53
I guess the rangefinder and rangelite don't work correctly. Inside there's a small round spring that's supposed to hold the lever up against the installed cam but it came loose and is just sort of hanging there. I see the spring in the repair manual but it doesn't indicate how it's supposed to be installed, does anyone have any pointers on that?

Michael Cienfuegos
13-Apr-2014, 20:59
I guess the rangefinder and rangelite don't work correctly. Inside there's a small round spring that's supposed to hold the lever up against the installed cam but it came loose and is just sort of hanging there. I see the spring in the repair manual but it doesn't indicate how it's supposed to be installed, does anyone have any pointers on that?

Check this website for Graflex manuals: http://www.southbristolviews.com/. There is a Top Rangefinder manual which you can download. You might want to check with PSS45 on graflex.org, aka Shutterfinger on APUG. He is a great resource.

m

Jonathan Barlow
16-Apr-2014, 10:42
We are just stewards of these old cameras, using and careing for them until we pass them on to someone else.

Or in this case, NOT using them for fifty years and then passing them on to someone else. I always find vintage box designs especially interesting.

Farside
22-Apr-2014, 08:47
Nice bit of kit, indeed.
I've come across ex-college /government cameras where one was put aside and simply never used. Kept as a spare or for dept head's use and then forgotten about, more than likely.
Your tax dollars/pounds/euros at work.