PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Tripod.

Fredrick
10-Apr-2014, 08:00
I have come to the realization that I am in the need of a new tripod. I currently have an Induro CT214, it is a good tripod - just not for 8x10. I find it to be way too flimsy at full extension. I also have a Manfrotto studio tripod, made of Aluminium - it is ok for 10 minute walks, but I'm sure it weighs around 10kg. I am young, and my knees are healthy, I would like to keep it that way. What I looking for is a tripod, which will give me the stability the Manfrotto has and the lighter weight of the Induro, around 4-5kg. I would like to keep it at the $500-600 mark. I don't think that I'll need a new head, I have the Induro PHQ-3. Ah, I nearly forgot, I use a 8x10 Wista field and a Rodenstock 300mm f/5.6. It's not super heavy, but I'm guessing it weighs in at 5-7kg.

-Fredrick

Alan Gales
10-Apr-2014, 09:00
Take a look at Feisol carbon fiber tripods.

vinny
10-Apr-2014, 09:02
here's some reading on the subject, not all current but still info
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?6498-Best-tripod-for-8x10
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?108838-Tripod-for-8x10-Deardorff&highlight=tripod+8x10
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?96928-Lightest-possible-tripod-for-8x10&highlight=tripod+8x10
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?83795-Looking-for-tripod-etc-for-4x5-and-8x10-in-the-future&highlight=tripod+8x10

I use a gitzo 1325 as my only tripod for everything up to 8x10

Fredrick
10-Apr-2014, 12:22
here's some reading on the subject, not all current but still info
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?6498-Best-tripod-for-8x10
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?108838-Tripod-for-8x10-Deardorff&highlight=tripod+8x10
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?96928-Lightest-possible-tripod-for-8x10&highlight=tripod+8x10
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?83795-Looking-for-tripod-etc-for-4x5-and-8x10-in-the-future&highlight=tripod+8x10

Thank you for the links. It seems the Gitzo G1325 have been replaced with the GT3532LS, which costs $1000 - that is unfortunately out of my price range.

karl french
10-Apr-2014, 12:36
I have an older Gitzo Cremaillere 3 aluminum leg set, (in addition to a G1325 I bought 12 years ago) with the big magnesium low profile pan tilt head. It works very well for 8x10.

djdister
10-Apr-2014, 13:05
In your price range I would recommend looking for a used Ries or a Gitzo Systematic tripod.

Alan Gales
10-Apr-2014, 13:33
If you don't mind used, you can do as Dan suggests and buy a used Ries or Gitzo. Both are fine tripods.

I use a Ries J100 (that I purchased lightly used) with my Wehman 8x10 and I love it.

Ari
10-Apr-2014, 13:49
If you're not hiking long distances, I'd opt for Aluminum over CF for a used tripod.

Induro makes a decent LF tripod, the AT413; it is aluminum, but not overly heavy, and it can easily support any 8x10.
A new one will set you back less than $250.

A used Gitzo in good working condition, with a proven track record, is another good choice.

Otherwise, I think that a CF tripod that could support 8x10 would, by necessity, be of very high quality, and thus break your budget.

dave_whatever
10-Apr-2014, 14:48

I use a 1325 bought second-hand for 5x4" for which it's overkill really. Should be great for a light-to-middling 10x8" setup.

lfpf
10-Apr-2014, 14:51
Aluminum surveyor's tripods are very sturdy and certainly economical at $60-100 new. Weight is 8 pounds. 5/8-11 to 1/4-20 adapters are also readily available. Just a though and I use one.

Drew Wiley
10-Apr-2014, 15:59
Cheap survey tripods tend to be useless. The legs slip, things break. It generally takes about double that amt to get a decent one you can convert for view camera use; yet they can do a nice job on a budget if you know how to convert them. I do most of my 8x10 work with a Ries - the real deal, but have a backup Feisol CF that is perfectly functional in terms of bearing the camera and staying steady. Don't use a center column and order spike feet. I doubt it would survive the kind of torture I've given the Ries, but is half the wt and quite well made for the price.

dodphotography
10-Apr-2014, 18:09
Can I offer some advice from a relatively LF newb... I think it's best to "pay once, cry once".

I think a lot of people try and get into a format on the cheap and they attempt to justify a purchase in their head. Ie... Oh, I know CF is light but I'll just pick up this alum tripod for 400 bucks and deal with the weight. Then after a while you're away from the car/truck and you start to think ... Oh man, CF would be nice now! Then all of a sudden you're buying a CF system anyway and you could have used that initial 4-500 from the get go.

Fredrick
10-Apr-2014, 22:24
Thank you all for the replies. I have been looking at some Berlebach tripods, but they seem to have mixed reviews. Are they any good? They certainly stable according to Berlebach.

John Kasaian
11-Apr-2014, 06:24
Ries, man. Ries:cool:

lfpf
11-Apr-2014, 09:00
Drew and forum participants, I suppose opportunities, obligations, options, resources and preferences all drive choices. For example, LF field opportunity/obligation, need field tripod, pawnshop had sturdy lightweight aluminum surveyor's tripod (~$50), drill/tap tripod-head 5/8-11 to adapt or "convert" and truck-to-site walk is only a mile, or so. Done. Another example, LF field opportunity/obligation, need field tripod, truck to multiple sites was ~50+ miles plus day-trips over many days. Surveyor's tripod is awkward on horseback, so CF tripod rides in rifle scabbard and LF gear in panniers. Done and no torture in any case.

Surveyor's tripod served purpose, still does, not useless as "cheap survey tripods tend to be", legs have yet to slip or break.

All, I'm glad to offer what has worked and will work.
Drew, Have fun with your Ries and backup.

Drew Wiley
11-Apr-2014, 09:20
Thanks. The angle I was coming from is that I sell survey tripods, and the market is being flooded with cheap Chinese knockoff tripods which have a relatively high
statistical rate of things to complain about, per quality control and materials. You might have gotten lucky, but many people are disappointed with the cheap ones.
A decently made US tripod from someone like Berger is still extremely affordable compared to camera store gear, but relatively well made and long-term dependable. My favorites are the fiberglass clad wooden ones - a bit heavy, but that's an advantage with 8x10. What you won't get is nonferrous hardware like on a Ries, so rust prevention has to be part of routine maintenance.

lfpf
11-Apr-2014, 10:41
Buyer beware, eh? All "cheap" or economical ____ are not the same. Chinese knock-off vs a new or used aluminum CST/Berger with cam-lock legs is an easy choice and both are cheap.

A solution to aluminum or ferrous metal corrosion in salt or rust-belt environments is a "biodegradeable, non-petroleum based solvent/lubricant" like PrOlix. PrOlix has kept my Linhof operating very well. The rails and gears needed a cleaning after previous owner used it for 30 years since new. The solvent/dry-lube cleaned-up the rails and gears and it works very much like new. Perfect? I doubt it. Better than not? Yes.

Endless hardware options are available to support each circumstance; a perfect camera doesn't exist, nor does a perfect tripod, lens, developer or paper. Let's continue to toss-around experiences and offer readers options to get them off the occasional fence and out doing what they enjoy. Live it up; each result has a story and it's own character, just ask the salted paper, fuming mercury daguerreotype types, explosive wet-plate tent types, albumen and ink-jet types.

Alan Gales
11-Apr-2014, 10:49
Thank you all for the replies. I have been looking at some Berlebach tripods, but they seem to have mixed reviews. Are they any good? They certainly stable according to Berlebach.

The Berlebachs are great. I used one with a Tachihara 4x5 for a while. I just prefer the Ries tripods. The leg locks on the Ries are fantastic. You can lock any leg in any position and the tripod is rock solid. I also like the Ries double tilt heads.

Drew Wiley
11-Apr-2014, 11:04
Yeah... peace, dude.... jes so yer not one of those mercury-fume, blow-up-the-house wetplate types living next door to me!

lfpf
11-Apr-2014, 15:29
Agreed, fuming mercury and ether; not in my backyard. Tripods, cams, formats and back or horses. Plenty options; pick your poison and git 'er done. Have a good weekend.

Alan Gales
11-Apr-2014, 21:42
Yeah... peace, dude.... jes so yer not one of those mercury-fume, blow-up-the-house wetplate types living next door to me!

Sounds similar to a crack house.

Noah B
12-Apr-2014, 12:26
For my Deardorff I had an Induro C413 and it was great. A little heavy, but it did the job. I now have an Induro AT313 for my 4x5 and I think 8x10 would work well on that too.

Fredrick
12-Apr-2014, 13:44
For my Deardorff I had an Induro C413 and it was great. A little heavy, but it did the job. I now have an Induro AT313 for my 4x5 and I think 8x10 would work well on that too.

I'm going to go have a look at the Induro AT413 next week. At $217, with a max load of 20kg and weight of 3,2kg, it's the best deal I can get.

Jac@stafford.net
16-Apr-2014, 13:23
Years ago I had the ultimate tripod built from an early wooden surveyor unit. My machinist friend made the appropriate head unit. It is stone solid, everything a photographer could dream of.

Unfortunately, only a young athlete or a donkey can schlep the monster to location. I was once so strong. No more. Funny how our pre-vision improved as our muscles decline. :)

Jim Andrada
16-Apr-2014, 19:39
Plus 11111 for Ries. Light and sturdy.

Another angle would be to look into a video tripod like the Libec. Very stiff, not too heavy. Drawback for some is lack of center column but advantage is a leveling ball arrangement with a 75 or 100 mm cup in the tripod and a clamping half ball with a 3/8 stud on top that fits into it. I use mine with my 8 x 10 Linhof and it never complains. I got it for my video setup but use it for both video and still.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/459156-REG/Libec_T98_T98_100mm_2_Stage_Aluminum.html

This one might be a bit on the heavy side, but they make a bunch of lighter models and they're quite good.