PDA

View Full Version : Easier way to load the Mod54

drgoose
9-Apr-2014, 16:38
I had been struggling to load the Mod54 easily but I figured out that if you stick it in a paper towel holder it is MUCH easier to load. I hope this helps someone else.

jbenedict
9-Apr-2014, 20:06
The loader for Jobo 4x5 reels looks very similar.

vdonovan
10-Apr-2014, 14:42
Wow what a GREAT TIP! I love my Mod54, but I love it less when I am actually loading it. I can see how this will really help, can't wait to try it.

LuisR
10-Apr-2014, 20:05
I am a MOD54 user and after seeing the photo, I seem to be missing something. How does that make it any easier? You still have to fiddle to place the sheets between the fingers.

jbenedict
10-Apr-2014, 20:41
You still have to put the sheets into the reel but this post holds the reel upright so you can use both hands to load the reel and not worry about keeping the reel upright.

LuisR
11-Apr-2014, 05:00
You still have to put the sheets into the reel but this post holds the reel upright so you can use both hands to load the reel and not worry about keeping the reel upright.
Both hands? Not quite. You need one hand to prevent the reel from rotating in the spindle, and the other hand to load the sheets. I can see the possibilities of easily fabricating a similar jig out of wood that would slightly simplify the process. Now if someone could figure out a way of making it easier to place the sheets between the fingers, that would be a major improvement for the MOD54.

jbenedict
11-Apr-2014, 08:54
Both hands? Not quite. You need one hand to prevent the reel from rotating in the spindle, and the other hand to load the sheets.

Both operations are needed to load the reel. One plus one equals two.

drgoose
11-Apr-2014, 22:09
Since I started doing this, I have not really needed to stop the reel from rotating. You can pretty much make sure that the openings are pointing to the left and the right side of you and while loading the reel you don't really apply any significant rotation. I am right handed so I load just on the Right hand side. Do one side first then rotate the reel 180 degrees and load the Right side again.

StoneNYC
12-Apr-2014, 20:18
Oh! I never had trouble with the MOD54 but using the JOBO 2509n is a huge pain, I love this idea for the JOBO and I'm going to try it!! Hah!

Thanks!