PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Satori EXP for 8x10

dodphotography
9-Apr-2014, 16:30
A Richard Ritter is on the way to my front door.

My B&J has never come close to folding so I have always just lugged it around by the strap.

Any opinions on this bag? I watched a video by Ben Horne regarding this bag but later noticed they soonest his work and channel on YT.

Looking for more of an honest, real user experience and opinion.

If you don't like this bag I'm open to more opinions on other brands.

davehyams
9-Apr-2014, 16:49
These f/stop bags are really nice, but not designed for LF. I am sure that you could rig it to work, but these bags are designed for hauling hand held gear along with expedition gear of various sorts like ski and avalanche gear or climbing gear. They are very well made and well designed for what they are intended for. For strictly day hiking with you LF your dollar might go further with another brand.

dodphotography
9-Apr-2014, 16:50
I'm struggling with finding brands. Seems everyone points to f/64 bags but they don't look very ergonomic. They just seem like a HUGE camera bag with a thousands dividers you need to rip out.

angusparker
9-Apr-2014, 16:50
The larger f64 backpack fits my Ritter 8x10 like a glove. I just wrap the camera with my dark cloth and slot it in the larger compartment.

dodphotography
9-Apr-2014, 16:54
The larger f64 backpack fits my Ritter 8x10 like a glove. I just wrap the camera with my dark cloth and slot it in the larger compartment.

Does it hold everything you need besides the Ritter?

Greg Miller
9-Apr-2014, 18:13
I have not used the Satori, but I own and use the Tilopa BC on a daily basis to haul 25 to 30 lbs. of camera gear. This is an awesome bag (and will soon buy an additional bag). You choose which ICU you want when you purchase the bag. And the ICU's are totally configurable, so do not favor one format over another. The XL Pro ICU is 19 x 11.5 x 7 so should easily accomodate an 8x10 plus plenty of other gear. These bags are designed (by adventure photographers) to #1) carry great in the backcountry, and #2 protect a wide variety of gear. So way better than better than any other bag I have owned (and I have a closet full of bags that I bought that were awful). But the best feature is the gear section opens from the back panel. So when you put the pack down in snow, dirt, or mud, the back panel stays clean (unlike virtually every other backpack out there). No more putting a wet/dirty pack back on your back...

angusparker
9-Apr-2014, 18:21
Does it hold everything you need besides the Ritter?

Top compartment handles 3-4 lenses since I use the Sinar to Horseman adapter and also my light meter and filters etc. Back compartment can house 1 film holder, possibly 2. So the real limitation is the film holders. Tripod can be strapped on or hand carried depending on which one I am using.

angusparker
9-Apr-2014, 18:30
Bear in mind that the Ritter is deeper and a little higher than some other 8x10 even though it weighs a lot less, so not all packs that handle 8x10s will handle a Ritter.

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Apr-2014, 18:36
I use an old MEI pack for my 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20. What pack can do that! Three different packs for three systems and they fit me great. Now the 14x17.... well it has its own portage pack. I love the MEI packs because you can get them cheap on the bay and they don't have all of the weight and padding. You add your own as needed.

tgtaylor
9-Apr-2014, 19:16
I don't know about the Satori as I have never owned (or heard of) it. This is the pack that I settled for in December to day-hike with a Toyo 810M-II:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7316/11184158884_ca322d4d9e_m.jpg

The lens on the right is a 360mm Schneider Symmar-S ( a gigantic lens weighing in at ~3lbs) and the one on the left is the 240mm version. You can pack the meter and cleaning kit in a pocket on the pack's top instead where shown and put another lens there. All lens are mounted on 158mm lens-boards. I place the focusing cloth and compendium hood on top of the camera and other incidentals such as cable release, lens wrench, hex key...etc., fit in inside pockets. As you can see, the camera, lens, and other contents are well protected.

I carry the film holders (5, each stored in 2.5 gallon zip lock bags) packed in the black MC padded case which slides in the packs outside pocket, as shown below, and the tripod (Gitzo G1349) in one of the 3 available tripod slots:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2812/11184114275_2358632693_m.jpg

Here's the pack closed with all the above inside:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2869/11184119595_9df8757b98_m.jpg

The Pack is the Lowepro 600 AW Pro Trekker. The Toyo MII is a all metal field camera which weighs 15 lbs without a lens attached and the camera will fold with a lens installed on the front standard but not with the 360 Symmar-S lens. Depending on the dimensions of your camera, you may be able to get it into a Lowepro 400 AW Pro Trekker which I believe is carry-on but I have not yet flown with my 400 AW Trekker.

Thomas

Regular Rod
10-Apr-2014, 01:50
You might want to look at www.photobackpacker.com before parting with your hard earned...

I love mine for my 8x10 and all the bits.

http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/p3_01_600.jpg

RR

dodphotography
10-Apr-2014, 17:51
I think one of the difficulties is a lot of people will show their respective packs and they're older items that are no longer made. It seems like one of those products that just aren't common in 2014 so people tend to hold on to those precious bags that fit their system.

dodphotography
13-Apr-2014, 05:03
I have not used the Satori, but I own and use the Tilopa BC on a daily basis to haul 25 to 30 lbs. of camera gear. This is an awesome bag (and will soon buy an additional bag). You choose which ICU you want when you purchase the bag. And the ICU's are totally configurable, so do not favor one format over another. The XL Pro ICU is 19 x 11.5 x 7 so should easily accomodate an 8x10 plus plenty of other gear. These bags are designed (by adventure photographers) to #1) carry great in the backcountry, and #2 protect a wide variety of gear. So way better than better than any other bag I have owned (and I have a closet full of bags that I bought that were awful). But the best feature is the gear section opens from the back panel. So when you put the pack down in snow, dirt, or mud, the back panel stays clean (unlike virtually every other backpack out there). No more putting a wet/dirty pack back on your back...

I like the bags but I don't think an ICU will fit the camera.

Camera folded 14 x15 x 5 3/4 weight 6.4 pounds

Being able to use the bag as a carry on the bag would be pretty amazing.

Photobackpacker
14-Apr-2014, 20:51
Fitting frequently used Large format gear - not difficult. Protecting cherished camera equipment - not difficult. Fitting the photographer who is 5'2 to 6'3 with all shapes and sizes? - Difficult ................. and priceless.

Regular Rod
15-Apr-2014, 02:50
Fitting frequently used Large format gear - not difficult. Protecting cherished camera equipment - not difficult. Fitting the photographer who is 5'2 to 6'3 with all shapes and sizes? - Difficult ................. and priceless.

I couldn't agree more! Fatigue now takes many miles more before its onset, thanks to the correct torso fit and positioning of my P3. My previous (and expensive) Lowepro 600 made me quit sooner than I do now...

RR

Carl J
15-Apr-2014, 16:45
+1 on Photobackpacker. I don't have the backpack (but if I was looking I'd give them a good look). I do have the 8x10 camera case (for KMV), 3 lens holder case, and the superb 8x10 Cascade film holder case as well. All very nicely made and prompt support from Bruce.

Greg Miller
15-Apr-2014, 17:15
I like the bags but I don't think an ICU will fit the camera.

Being able to use the bag as a carry on the bag would be pretty amazing.

I guess your camera is much larger than Ben's.

Roger Thoms
15-Apr-2014, 19:15

I can highly recommend Bruce and Photobackpacker. He made a custom enclosure for my Eastman Kodak 2D 8x10 and it fits great. Very comfortable pack.

Roger

dodphotography
17-Apr-2014, 08:08
I'm going to give the photobackpacker a shot. Now just to figure out what size and fittings I'll need!

NancyP
17-Apr-2014, 12:25
+1, Photobackpacker. I have the Satori, bought it before I found out about your pack system. Satori and inserts are great, BUT..................The dang things have suspension suitable for men with 18" torso length. I am a 15" torso, thin, full breasted woman. No amount of tweaking of load lifters made a difference for hikes with 35 pound load - shoulders hurt, and I had to move the sternum strap (not use existing sternum strap, add strap higher up). This year I am trying a homemade set of supplementary shoulder pads to take up that excess space. If that doesn't do the trick, Photobackpacker, you may be getting an order from me this summer.

The biggest issue with large packs is the access issue. Access is brilliant with the Satori, front of pack is face down on ground, unzip back of pack to get at your camera gear, your camping gear doesn't get in the way, your back stays clean.

Greg Miller
17-Apr-2014, 12:29
The biggest issue with large packs is the access issue. Access is brilliant with the Satori, front of pack is face down on ground, unzip back of pack to get at your camera gear, your camping gear doesn't get in the way, your back stays clean.

Yep. That alone is enough for me to not consider any pack that has access any other way.

dodphotography
17-Apr-2014, 14:42
I don't know if I'd be able to access the ritter with the satori from the rear. It's got some large dimensions.

NancyP
17-Apr-2014, 17:11
How large is your camera, I can measure my Satori opening. The camera inserts can be modified to fit, I would think. Send me dimensions and I will measure and get back to you next week.

dodphotography
17-Apr-2014, 17:29
How large is your camera, I can measure my Satori opening. The camera inserts can be modified to fit, I would think. Send me dimensions and I will measure and get back to you next week.

NancyP
18-Apr-2014, 19:38
The camera will not fit the f stop internal camera unit (10.5" internal width), would not be all that easy to fit in the bag main compartment (14" wide in usual configuration), and would not be retrievable from the Satori back panel opening, which is ~12" wide. The Photobackpacker would seem to be the best bet for you among "photo backpacks", because it is more or less custom built for 8 x 10 accommodation. You also might consider going to an outdoors store, camera in hand, and trying on packs. Don't overlook the external frame packs (eg, Kelty) and military-style ("tactical") packs, which are less standardized than many alpine-design packs made to be narrow for easier carriage through tight spaces.