PDA

View Full Version : Good bag/case for carrying LF 5x7 ?

durr3
9-Apr-2014, 04:51
Any suggestions for a good bag or case to carry a 5x7 LF field camera and a couple of lenses? I don't want to break the bank !!

Michael Graves
9-Apr-2014, 04:55
I have an Orvis bag that I use for my Eastman 2D 5x7. The camera and about six or eight film holders fit in comfortably and the two side pockets each hold a mounted lens. I love it.

No, it's not for sale. Go get your own! :)

Drew Bedo
9-Apr-2014, 05:59
I'm with Michael on this. Don't overlook the option of buying used gear or re-purposing something if it fits your needs.

Every bag in my closet was bought used. Often at a pawn shop as a "throw-in"with some item of gear. Several were bought at a thrift store for even less (under $10). I have, at times, bought a really torn-up or worn-out bag just for the dividers. Don't be afrade to re-purpose a bag for yourneeds . . .even luggage.

Some times surplus stores have closed cell foam sleeping pads for a few dollars. These can be cut into dividers . Another method is to cut and layer the sleeping pad foam to fit and fill a day packor carry-on bag, then cut windows in each layer to make custom fitted compartments. A hot glue gun will hold it all together.

My 8x10 film holders are carried around in a pic-nic cooler bag. I have 8x10 glass plates in what used to be a very expensive athletic trainer's bag from a re-sale shop.

This approach allows you to spend your money on high quality gear and FILM.

On the other hand . . .I have a friend who is a working wedding and portrait photographer. He packs his equipment only in brand named professional level bags and cases as a matter of on-site marketing.

There are plenty of purpose-built photo bags and cases that are great for what you need. Folks on this forum will give you specific brands and models.

It all depends on what your needs are and what you are doing. . . .and what you are willing to spend.

NancyP
15-Apr-2014, 10:18
I just visited my local Cabela's hunting/fishing store and found a number of interesting bags. One giant fanny pack fisherman's tackle bag might make a good case for a 4 x 5 field camera and a few holders and a lens. The tackle backpacks might be just the thing for 5 x 7. The reel cases can be used for lenses. Take your gear into one of the outdoors gear outfitters (especially during swap meets held at the hiking stores), and see what works.

gregmo
15-Apr-2014, 11:55
I use a backpack from www.PhotoBackPacker.com

I can fit either my 4x5 or 5x7 plus lenses inside. Both of my cameras are monorails, so a field camera shouldnt be an issue.

Alan Gales
15-Apr-2014, 12:16
And now for something completely different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9lsmAm-LRI&feature=player_detailpage

I have had a back fusion and can't carry a back pack. This is what I just bought from Amazon for my 8x10. This bag has larger wheels than my old bag and folds flat on top so I can carry another bag on top of it.

Nathan Smith
15-Apr-2014, 12:37
+1 for repurposing bags. A few years ago Bob Fowler found some great rolling bags in an art shop for something like $60/ea. I believe they were meant for carrying artist supplies, but they were a perfect fit for our Eastman 2D's.

William Whitaker
15-Apr-2014, 13:42
...One giant fanny pack...

This is why I love the English language.

austin granger
15-Apr-2014, 14:09
I've been using a Kelty Redwing 2650 for carrying my Deardorff Special for years, and it almost seems like it was made for that purpose. They've since replaced the 2650 with the 44L, but it looks very similar. They go for a little over $100. Anyway, my two cents, as other mentioned above, is to not be afraid to venture outside the camera shop to look for solutions.

NancyP
15-Apr-2014, 15:01
OK, my fanny ain't THAT big..... The ..er.. Lumbar Pack (polite term for "fanny pack") does hold a 4x5 field camera, lenses, meter, loupe, 3 holders, and the dark cloth can be lashed to the outside. The included plastic tackle boxes get used for something else.

William Whitaker
15-Apr-2014, 17:46
Now, now. I'm not calling anybody an ULF-butt here. It just struck me funny.

Carsten Wolff
16-Apr-2014, 07:14
I think my set-up would be too small for your camera; not sure how much it folds down; I just have an older Lowepro Onmitrekker soft case (which also fits into a Pelicase, if needed).
Its hand luggage/ even under seat size and fits my old 5x7 Arca B-type, extension bellows and rails, 4-6 lenses, spotmeter, filters etc; There are outside straps for the tripod, too. It also converts to a backpack. Film holders/6x17 back goes into a separate soft lunchbox. IF you need bigger (and backpack style): I don't know if people still use the Kelty-pack which has a great reputation.

ROL
16-Apr-2014, 09:32
...One giant fanny pack...

This is why I love the English language.

You ever been on a cruise? I can testify that those terms generally, almost certainly, endemically go together.

Drew Bedo
17-Apr-2014, 05:37
PhotoBackpacker makes really nice protective storage boxes for lenses and field cameras in sizes up to 8x10. These boxes can link together and can be putinto about any bag or pack. One can quickly turn a thrift store carry-on into a Think-Tank Airport. They also make hook and loop boards to fit into a bag or pack that allows the boxes to be mounted securely.

I am transitioning my 4x5 outfit into this system piece by piece.