PDA

View Full Version : Kodak UK, France downsizing

tim atherton
5-Oct-2004, 11:17
Just heard on the radio that Kodak is cutting it's UK operation by 600 jobs and it's French one by 270 as part of it's rationalisation plan. That includes closing down both it's consumer film and colour paper production facilities in France and it's graphics film production in the UK - citing the lack of demand for consumer film and paper among other things as well as a massive jump in the sales of consumer digital cameras and an equally large decline in sales of film cameras.

Bob._3483
5-Oct-2004, 11:30
http://business.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3587370

Tom Westbrook
5-Oct-2004, 11:37
Does anyone know the location of the plant where Kodak produces the new sheet film emulsions for Tri-X and TMax? Don't think I ever heard it mentioned where they moved production to. I'd just like advance warning on when to panic.

Mark Sampson
5-Oct-2004, 12:10
Tom- Kodak built their new b&w coating facility in Rochester, NY, USA. The fact that they went to the large expense of a new plant suggests that they'll be staying in the film business for a while- but don't let that stop you from enjoying a good hearty panic...

Ralph Barker
5-Oct-2004, 13:04
Mark - while logic would certainly support your assumption, I'm not sure logic applies in Kodak's case. How many $millions, for example, did they invest in the development of the medium-format DCS Pro Back before dropping it like a hot Acme shutter? ;-)

Mark Sampson
5-Oct-2004, 13:19
Ralph, like I said, go ahead and enjoy a good panic. But Kodak is still selling b&w film, that is, people are buying it; and it's questionable how many DCS Pro backs were ever sold. Probably not enough to show a profit. Or more likely not *enough* profit, while film is still a high-margin item by comparison. 19 years inside the company made me realize that making a *little* profit on an item won't satisfy the bean-counters, especially when you add in the DCS Pro Back's need for knowledgeable tech support and service- both are anathema to short-sighted Kodak managers. Whereas film just keeps on going... slowly downhill but still generating lots of cash.

tim atherton
5-Oct-2004, 13:49
Didn't Kodak move production of a lot of it's B&W papers to the plant in Canada (and also some film I thought?) where they have also started cutting back. I know the last batch of Verichrome Pan I saw (just before it was dropped) was all made in Canada

Tom Westbrook
5-Oct-2004, 15:49
You're right, Tim, all the Polymax Fine Art I have says "made in Canada". Never noticed that before. The two rolls of Verichrome Pan 120 I have left in the freezer say "Made in the USA", though. They expired 08/2003.

Sal Santamaura
5-Oct-2004, 18:19
Is Polymax Fine Art still made in Canada, or did it get moved to Brazil with Azo?

Jacques Augustowski
5-Oct-2004, 18:53
I live in Brazil and Azo isn't for sale here for at least 4 years. Kodak has being making their products in Brazil since the 30's and Ilford since the 80's.

Jacques

Andre Noble
5-Oct-2004, 20:55
Kodak is not doing too bad: Yesterday they won the first round in a legal battle seeking 1 Billion dollars from Oracle in some kind of software rights infringement case.

Jorge Gasteazoro
5-Oct-2004, 21:56
Kodak is not doing too bad: Yesterday they won the first round in a legal battle seeking 1 Billion dollars from Oracle in some kind of software rights infringement case.

Seems Kodak is involved in all kinds of things but the promotion of the one product that makes them money. Go figure.....:-(

Michael A.Smith
6-Oct-2004, 15:49
Kodak has informed me and Paula that they are recommitting to black and white film and paper. I do not know what that means in a practical way, so am unable to answer specific questions, but I do know that it is not hot air.