PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 Negatives digitized with a 10MP DSLR and a Bowens Illumitran

pramaglia
8-Apr-2014, 11:57
I dug out some of my 4x5 negatives and digitized them on my Bowens Illumitran. This is a lot cheaper and faster then buying a film scanner if you want to digitize old slides and negatives for uploading to the net or for emailing to someone.
I have a 4x5 attachment for the Illumitran that will hold any format film up to 4x5. I mount my camera on a tripod over the 4x5 attachment unit. Since the flash voltage of the Illumitran would fry my DSLR, I use a 1 second exposure at F:22 with an adjustable polarizer on my camera lens and manually trigger the flash during the 1 second exposure. Sounds archaic, but it works. Eventually I will buy a Wein Safe Sync and then I'll be able to plug the flash into my DSLR. Here are some samples done with a Sony 10MP A100.

113509 113510 113511

vinny
8-Apr-2014, 12:13
there are a couple threads dedicated to this type of thing, maybe add this there?

pramaglia
8-Apr-2014, 12:20
there are a couple threads dedicated to this type of thing, maybe add this there?

Hi Vinny, I didn't realize there was a thread already. I searched on Illumitran and nothing came up. Can you suggest where I should move this to? How do I delete this thread?