PDA

View Full Version : Graflok conversion on Anniversary Speed Graphic possible? And recommended?

silverph
4-Apr-2014, 18:19
Newbie here about to shoot my first large format.

I acquired an Anniversary Speed Graphic years ago intended as a decoration until I caught the film bug. Since I already have a lot of FP-3000B pack film for my old polaroid camera, I bought a PA-145 adapter so I can also use it on the LF as well.

Of course I discovered too late it won't work since I do not have a Graflok back. Being I already have the expensive adapter, I might as well spend a few more, right?

With that said, can I buy one of those Graflok backs being sold on eBay and replace my spring back with the existing screws?

I'm contemplating on doing that or sell the camera I have and replace it with one that already has the Graflok. The back alone is about $125 on eBay.

Thank you.

John

jp
4-Apr-2014, 18:45
I've got such a camera. It's a good combination. I like the anniversary's shutter better better than the pacemaker's. I didn't do the work, but it looks like the previous owner just swapped backs

silverph
4-Apr-2014, 22:05
Thank you. I'll probably convert it.

Jim Jones
5-Apr-2014, 07:31
Also shop for a beat-up Crown or Pacemaker Speed Graphic with the Graflok back: it may be as cheap as the back alone. The later front standard will interchange with the Anniversary standard, giving an option for front tilts. However, the later standard won't tilt far enough to take full advantage of the drop bed. The sliding part of the front bed is also interchangeable with the Anniversary, giving us the option of fold-down infinity stops.

jp
5-Apr-2014, 07:51
The front standard option is good. To me it depends on whether you want minimal movements (other than rise or tilt the camera on it side and shift) with the old standard AND a bigger wooden DIY lensboard option, or the pacemaker movements (tilts) and more compact metal (or CF) lens boards. I've got some big portrait lenses that would not fit the pacemaker boards but work well on the older wooden lensboards used on anniverary/preanniversary. My solution is to have a camera for each. GAS.

BrianShaw
5-Apr-2014, 09:03
I've got such a camera. It's a good combination. I like the anniversary's shutter better better than the pacemaker's. I didn't do the work, but it looks like the previous owner just swapped backs

Me too. It is a great combination!

silverph
5-Apr-2014, 15:33
I do not know what to expect yet because I haven't even shot with it but that is going to change in the next few days. Thanks for the tips!

silverph
5-Apr-2014, 15:34

What shutter are you talking about? The back focal plane shutter? I don't think mine is accurate anymore even though it does still work.

Oren Grad
5-Apr-2014, 16:14
The back focal plane shutter? I don't think mine is accurate anymore even though it does still work.

Doesn't matter, so long as the shutter behaves reasonably consistently. A few test sheets will give you a sense of how yours behaves, and you can go from there.

silverph
5-Apr-2014, 16:24
Doesn't matter, so long as the shutter behaves reasonably consistently. A few test sheets will give you a sense of how yours behaves, and you can go from there.

I'm already excited now that the weather has improved! So many things to test and improve on.

jp
5-Apr-2014, 16:31
What shutter are you talking about? The back focal plane shutter? I don't think mine is accurate anymore even though it does still work.

The pacemaker has a shutter speed window that shows the speed, but there aren't many speeds and they only go from 1/30 to 1/1000. The older cameras have a gazillion speeds from 1/10 to 1/1000 if you can deal with using the chart to set the tension and slit width for the speed you want.

mdarnton
5-Apr-2014, 17:59
I suspect all the speeds between 1/30 and 1/1000 are still there if you want to figure them out--they took off the tension numbers from 2 to 5 in the newer cameras, making just two, L (low) and H (high), but the actual number of clicks between L and H are about the same as between 1 and 6, I think. The way the thing shakes when you fire it, I'm not sure the missing 1/10 is a bad thing.

Shootar401
5-Apr-2014, 18:15
I swapped backs on one of my speeds last month. The only issue was recalibrating the rangefinder if you use it. Otherwise it's just 5 screws, make sure to get the tiny one on the right hand side near the curtain. It's hidden.

Michael Cienfuegos
5-Apr-2014, 18:58
I put a Graflok back on my Pre-Anny Speed, only because it makes it a bit easier to use a Polaroid back. Before I got the graflok, I put washers under the springs and a bit longer screw, which allowed me to insert the back without stressing the springs. The DS film holders still worked with no light leaks. I never have bothered to calibrate the rangefinder, too much of a bother, I just use the GG for focusing.

m

silverph
6-Apr-2014, 14:48
Great guys, hopefully the weather will be better than predicted. I already field tested it without film using the lens' shutter and not the focal plane shutter just yet. 113400