PDA

View Full Version : Ektar 100 8x10 Discontinued?

Robert Jonathan
4-Apr-2014, 09:31
So, at B&H, it says 8x10 Ektar is discontinued... really?

I have a fridge full of chromes, but I'd like to have negative film available when I want it. What's next to go, 8x10 Portra? Sheesh.

Has Kodak stopped manufacturing 8x10?

Nicolasllasera
4-Apr-2014, 09:40
I had heard they dont cut 8x10 on a regular basis. Maybe its just a stock going gone and they need to order more (bh).

Brian C. Miller
4-Apr-2014, 09:44
Canham Cameras, general Kodak special order information (http://www.canhamcameras.com/kodakfilm.html). Kodak is cutting based on demand, and that may mean a group order has to be fulfilled due to low general demand.

Robert Jonathan
4-Apr-2014, 09:44
It would probably say temporarily out of stock instead of discontinued, but I'm just guessing...

dave_whatever
4-Apr-2014, 10:03
If we've learned anything from the last few years of fortnightly announcements by US retailers hailing the discontinuation of some emulsion or other (usually Velvia, almost always wrongly) its that we shouldn't believe anything they say. We also shouldn't mistake a retailer not stocking something, or a regional/national distributor not importing something, with an actual discontinuation.

Drew Wiley
4-Apr-2014, 10:19
Here we go again. Ektar is one of the best selling film products. Like anything else there are intermittent shortages. Just buy an extra box or whatever to get you
through the temporary intermissions. 8X10 Ektar seems to get cut rather frequently, and I certainly haven't had any trouble getting it.

koh303
4-Apr-2014, 15:11
So, at B&H, it says 8x10 Ektar is discontinued... really?

I have a fridge full of chromes, but I'd like to have negative film available when I want it. What's next to go, 8x10 Portra? Sheesh.

BH often mark out of stock products as discontinued. Its a way to make a potential buyer buy something else instead of waiting for it to come back and petentially buying somewhere else... this is old news, and no changes have been made, or you would have known about them, and not from the BH listing.

Oren Grad
4-Apr-2014, 15:45

8x10 Ektar is special order only, and has been for a long time.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/2013_filmCatalogSpecOrder.jhtml

B&H will show it in-stock again if and when they choose to place another special order.

Shootar401
7-Apr-2014, 21:28
Slightly OT, but am I the only one that wants to see Kodak-Alaris package Ektar in something bigger than a 10 sheet box?

Oren Grad
7-Apr-2014, 22:35
Slightly OT, but am I the only one that wants to see Kodak-Alaris package Ektar in something bigger than a 10 sheet box?

This has been standard for all Kodak 8x10 films for a while now. If you search the archives here, you can probably find some discussion of the change when it happened.

Robert Jonathan
9-Apr-2014, 18:00
Well, it's back in stock. I was wrong. Ha!

gmfotografie
27-Aug-2014, 12:38
but in europe its still hard to find the film....

gmfotografie
28-Aug-2014, 13:53
when i want to order form b&h, it tells me to order at minimum 30 packages.

that will be about 5300$
oO

no chance to get only 5 ?

Drew Wiley
29-Aug-2014, 11:47
Just ask for a BH supervisor and badger him. If enough people do that, they'll actually stock it again. Or maybe they'll just do that again automatically. It's actually
a popular product for anything 8x10 color. I don't know if Keith Canham is involved in group orders of this or not, like other 8x10 cuts from Kodak. I'd get involved except that I still have a decent reserve of it in my own freezer.

Daniel Stone
29-Aug-2014, 13:09
Adorama is showing it as in-stock, FYI

Drew Wiley
29-Aug-2014, 13:12
Cool.