PDA

View Full Version : R.B Tele Graflex 4x5

jures
2-Apr-2014, 13:12
I've been looking for a 4x5 camera for portraiture (natural light and strobes alike) and found this on craigslist. The pawn shop doesn't know much about it and is tough to get in contact with. I'd love to know a little more about it before I drive a decent distance to look at it. Below is a picture and description.

They're asking $295, but in an email they told me they bought it to be used as decoration, so I might be able to get it for cheaper than asking price.

Thanks!

For Sale R.B Tele Graflex 4x5 Film Camera Bausch & Lomb 5.6 f/4.5

Camera Is In Good Physical Condition For Its Age, There Are A Couple Of Nicks Around The Unit But Nothing Major. Camera Is Fully Functional And Works Great.

Thank You For Looking At The Listing Below.

Film Size 4x5.

Serial #: 12782

NIC

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
2-Apr-2014, 14:10
There is no strobe sync on these.

Oren Grad
2-Apr-2014, 14:33
Also, Graflexes are complicated contraptions. If the seller doesn't know much about it, you need to take "Fully Functional And Works Great" with a boulder of salt. By the same token, if you don't know anything about Graflexes, you won't be equipped to judge for yourself whether it is working properly or otherwise has any issues.

Have you used a large format camera before?

jures
2-Apr-2014, 14:45
No, but I'm well aware of the challenges. I've taught myself most everything else related to photography including processing 120 C-41.

If it looks mostly structurally sound, I'll offer them $100 and take it somewhere to have someone look at it. If they sign off on it, I'll buy some film and test it out.

mdarnton
2-Apr-2014, 15:05
You won't need just film--you'll need film holders. And the ones it uses are different from normal 4x5 cameras', haven't been made in decades and can be hard to find, so you'd better hope it comes with some.

Oren Grad
2-Apr-2014, 15:11
LF isn't difficult, it's just a bunch of new details you'll need to pay attention to. If you've been comfortable picking up tools and methods on your own up until now, you'll be fine.

Re testing it with film, remember that you'll need some of the special Graflex slotted film holders - regular 4x5 holders won't fit unless the camera has been converted, which is often the case with Super D's, not so much with RB Tele's.

Good luck!

jures
2-Apr-2014, 15:16
You won't need just film--you'll need film holders. And the ones it uses are different from normal 4x5 cameras', haven't been made in decades and can be hard to find, so you'd better hope it comes with some.

I'm not doubting that 4X5 is more of a financial commitment and has a steeper learning curve than medium format. I'm also not trying to brush off your valued advice, but I just wanted to know if any of you could tell me based on the provided serial number and picture what kind of Graflex RB this is.

Oren Grad
2-Apr-2014, 15:29
...I just wanted to know if any of you could tell me based on the provided serial number and picture what kind of Graflex RB this is.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it's most likely an RB Tele Graflex, as stated clearly in the ad. The camera normally has a little metal plate with the curtain settings and the model name on it. Unless that plate has fallen off, the seller can read the model name right off the camera without knowing anything more about it.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
2-Apr-2014, 15:32
Google tells us that it is a little over 100 years old (http://graflex.coffsbiz.com/serials.html).

Also, make sure this is really a 4x5 and not a 3.25 x 4.25"

jures
2-Apr-2014, 16:27
Google tells us that it is a little over 100 years old (http://graflex.coffsbiz.com/serials.html).

Also, make sure this is really a 4x5 and not a 3.25 x 4.25"

Oh wow. I guess I'll keep looking then. Thanks.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it's most likely an RB Tele Graflex, as stated clearly in the ad. The camera normally has a little metal plate with the curtain settings and the model name on it. Unless that plate has fallen off, the seller can read the model name right off the camera without knowing anything more about it.

Yeah, I asked the pawn shop owner to grab a picture of it as well as the lens, but he never got back to me.

I guess I'll keep looking. A Graflex Super D would be ideal based on what I've seen.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
2-Apr-2014, 16:30
Be aware that even the Super-D has very limited strobe sync that runs at about 1/5 of a second.

toolbox
3-Apr-2014, 07:41
Graflex RBs of all different flavors are all over ebay...if you're patient you can find a deal on the model you want. Unless you can find one that's being sold by someone who knows what they're doing, be prepared to give it a CLA. Most of these are from estate sales and have been sitting for years. And as mentioned before, the stock Graflex camera uses slotted film holders that were different from every other 4x5 film holder ever made. There are a couple of other options though...a 12 shot "bag mag" will go right on the back of it. The trick is finding one with decent leather. The other option is finding one that's been converted to a Graphic or Graflok back (or having a conversion done) so you can use standard film holders. I have a Tele-Graflex in my collection that had the back swapped at some point in it's life (along with a bunch of other mods). They're fun cameras.

EdSawyer
4-Apr-2014, 05:27
Graflex.org is a good resource for all things graflex. the RB Tele will work with longer lenses than the Super-D. Generally the superD will probably be newer so it may be in better shape. Flash sync on any of the focal plane cameras is pretty compromised in general - basically it's bulb mode with flash triggered while the curtain is open. If you are into flash, use a lens in shutter with flash sync. The SuperD is nice, will work well with up to a 270mm Tele at least, maybe longer, and still reach infinity. I use a 3x4 RB SuperD converted to a 4x5 back. Converting any of these to a Graflok back is a good idea, and makes life a lot easier in general.

jnantz
4-Apr-2014, 05:45
i believe kurt camera repair i. san diego will do a shutter cla as well

i have a series d and a parts hog i pick through for bits and pieces i might need to replace.
...i've cla'd the shutters and worked on it since the 90s .. great camera for continuous light or available light
the dark/b/flash/close shutter thing gets old the first time you do it.
with slow emulsion, like paper, or a dry plate you could do it with the lights on at least

wisner made a modern slr with a modern shutter with a sync .. ( copal )
if you need a flash it might be something to look for ..
although it was nearly 10 years ago, and he probably only made a handful ....
( he advertised it in vc magazine in about 2004ish )
really nothing like the graflexes, no THWACK when you make the exposure

Sibben
4-Apr-2014, 07:47
I am by no means an expert as I'm quite new to the field but I have to ask. Are you just looking to get into large format, maybe the graphlex way, or is this the very camera you really want? It strikes me there must be so many easier and perhaps even cheaper cameras to start with. Just a thought.

EdSawyer
4-Apr-2014, 12:57
The RB Tele/SuperD/etc. make nice portrait cameras. that's a plus, also they work well with barrel lenses so if those are a consideration it's a good choice.

jnantz
4-Apr-2014, 13:18
they are an extremely simple camera ...
and the film holders / bag magazines
aren't much harder to find ( or more expensive ) than anything else ...

Shootar401
5-Apr-2014, 15:51
The slotted film holders that these need can be found on eBay for about $10-$20.

mdarnton
5-Apr-2014, 17:52
I just want to jump in and say that when I was a kid Modern Photography published an annual used camera guide. I saw the RB Auto Graflex, and it became my one burning object of desire. A few years later, a friend whose studio I worked in when I was in high school, landed me a 4x5 Super D. I have been through three or four total divestitures and abandonment of photography in the intervening 45 years, but that camera and a Leica IIIa are the only two photo items that I never wanted to sell.

They are great cameras, and everyone needs one. Where they really shined, unfortunately, was with 3000 speed Polaroid film, in available light, but the drop shutter isn't a difficult problem at all for flash in normal situations. It's real simple:

1/ pull down the mirror
2/ set shutter to H tension, and O for open
3/ load film and focus
4/ expose

What happens is that the mirror rises, revealing the film, since the shutter is already open; this triggers the flash, and simultaneously starts closing the shutter. It all takes about 1/5 second, which in normal situations where you'd use flash, is fine. Not a fuss at all--it's just like making a normal exposure with any camera at its sync speed, which in this case is 1/5, that's all.

Sibben
6-Apr-2014, 06:30
Please ignore my ignorant advice; people swear by this old camera model. I know what *that's* like! Get one and love it. :)

rjmeyer314
10-Apr-2014, 09:11
My first Graflex SLR was an RB Tele Graflex in 3 1/4 x 4 1/4. I brought it about 30 years ago, and it still works just fine. I shot my sister-in-law's wedding with it. It those days you could still get 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Plus-X Pan, and that's what I used. Since the demise of commercially available film I've been shooting 3 1/4 x 4 (not 4 1/4) Kodak Electron Image Film (I brought a mess of it on Ebay, enough to keep me going the rest of my life). I expose it at ASA 6 and develop it in Diafine. It's very fine grain. One of the best now that Tech Pan is gone. This is more like the film speed used when these cameras were new anyway. You can also find a 120 roll film back for them if you watch Ebay long enough. I have a bunch of other Graflex SLR's, in 3 1/4 x 4 1/4, 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, 4x5, and 5x7. With a little tinkering I've been able to make most of them work. My next project will be to combine parts from two non-working 5x7 Press Graflexes to try to get one working version.

EdSawyer
10-Apr-2014, 09:30
Mdarnton - good points re: flash sync. As long as you in a dark enough environment the 1/5 sec speed should be no real problem.

jbenedict
28-Apr-2014, 19:40
My first Graflex SLR was an RB Tele Graflex in 3 1/4 x 4 1/4. I brought it about 30 years ago, and it still works just fine. I shot my sister-in-law's wedding with it. It those days you could still get 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Plus-X Pan, and that's what I used. Since the demise of commercially available film

Ilford films are available in 3.25x4.25 on their special for ULF film. The order will be send in sometime in late May, middle June.

If that appeals to anyone, check at this URL:

http://www.ultrafineonline.com/il20ulfprhp4.html

25 sheets is $68 for HP5+ and $65 for FP4+ Kind of expensive but it is fresh and you would avoid having to trim it down from 4x5 in the dark
If people want some fresh film in old sizes, there is about every film size available.

(Limited numbers of odd size roll films.)

OrbitalGraflex
28-Feb-2024, 16:04
I've had good results at far less money than Ilford with Shanghai 100 b&w film in 3.25 x 4.25 size.

OrbitalGraflex
28-Feb-2024, 16:06
Among my Graflex SLR's are both a 4x5 and 3.25x4.25 Tele Graflex in excellent condition. Both still capable of making fine photographs once you get the routine down and take your time.