PDA

View Full Version : Process lens slots

brucep
1-Apr-2014, 02:52
What do people do when they have a lens like an artar with a slot and no cover for it?

Bruce

Carsten Wolff
1-Apr-2014, 03:38
What do people do when they have a lens like an artar with a slot and no cover for it?

Bruce

a) Nothing
b) Use e.g. card and/or black sticky tape to cover
c) Make fun Waterhouse stops
d) Sell lens because they're too daft to keep it clean
e) Spend money to get SK Grimes/others to make a somewhat pointless gimmicajing for it
f) Spend money to get SK Grimes/others to replace barrel with shutter
g) Ask people on forums
h) Decide to only use it with a compendium shade "to be safe"
i) Look at it lovingly every evening, with a pang of indecisiveness as to whether "they did the right thing" buying it, as they hadn't really noticed the slot...:"it was such a good deal on e8ay"; probably realizing that they won't get their sh*t together and actually use it. (-Note: Californian residents may at this stage contemplate mentioning their lack of decisiveness to their shrink, others may just sell it on).

- What did you come up with? ;)

brucep
1-Apr-2014, 03:57
a) Nothing - upto asking here
b) Use e.g. card and/or black sticky tape to cover- That is what I was thinking

c) Make fun Waterhouse stops - No

d) Sell lens because they're too daft to keep it clean - Not yet, but it isn't dirty yet

e) Spend money to get SK Grimes/others to make a somewhat pointless gimmicajing for it - Now who do I know that can make gimmicajings?

f) Spend money to get SK Grimes/others to replace barrel with shutter-- postage to US is too expensive from UK

g) Ask people on forums - This is the stage I'm at

h) Decide to only use it with a compendium shade "to be safe" - prefer sticky tape idea

i) Look at it lovingly every evening, with a pang of indecisiveness as to whether "they did the right thing" buying it, as they hadn't really noticed the slot...:"it was such a good deal on e8ay"; probably realizing that they won't get their sh*t together and actually use it. (-Note: Californian residents may at this stage contemplate mentioning their lack of decisiveness to their shrink, others may just sell it on). - I look at all my Large Format kit like this!

Carsten Wolff
1-Apr-2014, 05:47
a) Nothing - upto asking here
b) Use e.g. card and/or black sticky tape to cover- That is what I was thinking

c) Make fun Waterhouse stops - No

d) Sell lens because they're too daft to keep it clean - Not yet, but it isn't dirty yet

e) Spend money to get SK Grimes/others to make a somewhat pointless gimmicajing for it - Now who do I know that can make gimmicajings?

f) Spend money to get SK Grimes/others to replace barrel with shutter-- postage to US is too expensive from UK

g) Ask people on forums - This is the stage I'm at

h) Decide to only use it with a compendium shade "to be safe" - prefer sticky tape idea

i) Look at it lovingly every evening, with a pang of indecisiveness as to whether "they did the right thing" buying it, as they hadn't really noticed the slot...:"it was such a good deal on e8ay"; probably realizing that they won't get their sh*t together and actually use it. (-Note: Californian residents may at this stage contemplate mentioning their lack of decisiveness to their shrink, others may just sell it on). - I look at all my Large Format kit like this!
:) I'm sure there are options in the UK for shutters. Meanwhile, sticky tape has my firm thumbs up for you :) What size lens is it, anyway? My old 19" sat in front of an Alphax 4 (on a Technika type board).

Drew Wiley
1-Apr-2014, 08:33
Hmmm ... all my process lenses have sliding covers over the slots. I'd put a bit of black electrical tape over it, to keep dust out.

Pete Watkins
1-Apr-2014, 08:39
Yeah Drew all mine have the sliding covers as well.

jumanji
1-Apr-2014, 08:44
I found all of my process lenses has waterhouse slot, even the one already had iris diaphragm. Apo Collinear, Apo Tessar, Apo Planar. Sometimes I wonder why?

Dan Fromm
1-Apr-2014, 10:32
I found all of my process lenses has waterhouse slot, even the one already had iris diaphragm. Apo Collinear, Apo Tessar, Apo Planar. Sometimes I wonder why?

Old question, asked and answered many times. A Waterhouse stop that isn't round gives half tone dots that aren't round. A stop that can be rotated -- all of my process lenses allow 90 degrees -- gives control of the dots' orientation. All very useful for printers.

Drew Wiley
1-Apr-2014, 10:39
There were even process lenses made - specifically Apo Nikkors - that not only contained a round multibladed aperture, but a four-leafed adjustable square aperture,
to produce square dots, in addition to the slot as a third option. But in such cases the slot was probably not used for a waterhouse stop, but for sliding in a gel filter
insert.

Jim Andrada
4-Apr-2014, 22:52
Ha - elliptical dots, 'e?- this was a blast from the past so to speak - I used to think the Kodak Litho film with elliptical dots built in was the greatest thing since sliced bread. For those who might wonder why, with a regular screen/square or round dot you get to a point where around 50% density where the dots would suddenly touch at four points and there would be an apparent "jump" in perceived densities. The elliptical dots would first touch on only two points so smoother gradation.