PDA

View Full Version : Advice about Chamonix 4x5 F1 or 45n-2

nousavons
31-Mar-2014, 17:19
Hi there,
I'm new in LF and I would like to have your opinions about a possible purchase.
What do think is preferable: to buy a new Chamonix F1 and wait to buy a used lens, or, buy a 45n-2 used (mint) with a Nikkor-SW 75mm/4.5 in good shape. I don't really know if the difference between this two cameras are noticeable for a beginner like me...

Thanks for your advices!

Best,
Martín

https://www.flickr.com/photos/martingomezphotos/

angusparker
31-Mar-2014, 18:32
"045F1 most predominant feature is the added base and asymmetrical tilts of the rear standard which makes the use of the camera so much easier when applying Scheimpflug principle in landscape and architecture photography." It's not that you can't use the Scheimpflug principle on the earlier models it's just that it is easier on the f1. Otherwise they are the same with f1 weighing more. As a beginner I would go with a used 45n2 since the Scheimpflug principle and movement isn't that critical for most LF users. I have owned both models.

As for the lens, I would steer away from such a short focal length as 75mm for your first lens and go for a newer model normal 150mm 5.6 - perhaps a Nikkor or Fujinon. There is a Nikkor 150/5.6 going for sale on the forum for $135 which is a good price.

nousavons
31-Mar-2014, 19:10
Wow! Thanks Angus! a lot of information in your post! true $135 is a really good price. I would like to improve my portraiture skills, not only shot landscape an architecture... I appreciate your answer. In this days I will decide the purchase; thanks! Martin

Alan Gales
31-Mar-2014, 19:54
I agree with everything that Angus says but it may take a little time finding a used 45n2 out there.

To me a 75mm lens on 4x5 is like a 20mm on a 35mm camera or full frame digital. A 150mm is considered a "normal" focal length lens for 4x5 and I feel easier to learn with.

Welcome to the forum!

angusparker
31-Mar-2014, 19:54
Wow! Thanks Angus! a lot of information in your post! true $135 is a really good price. I would like to improve my portraiture skills, not only shot landscape an architecture... I appreciate your answer. In this days I will decide the purchase; thanks! Martin

Most welcome. For portraiture I think you would fine anything shorter than 125mm would look odd. If 85mm is a standard FF 35mm camera portrait lens that would be 195mm on a 4x5. That focal length doesn't really exist in LF but you can find 180mm and 210mm fairly easily. A fairly typical three lens set for 4x5 is 90/150/210 sort of wide, normal and long.

Darin Boville
31-Mar-2014, 20:17
"045F1 most predominant feature is the added base and asymmetrical tilts of the rear standard which makes the use of the camera so much easier when applying Scheimpflug principle in landscape and architecture photography." It's not that you can't use the Scheimpflug principle on the earlier models it's just that it is easier on the f1. Otherwise they are the same with f1 weighing more. As a beginner I would go with a used 45n2 since the Scheimpflug principle and movement isn't that critical for most LF users. I have owned both models.

As for the lens, I would steer away from such a short focal length as 75mm for your first lens and go for a newer model normal 150mm 5.6 - perhaps a Nikkor or Fujinon. There is a Nikkor 150/5.6 going for sale on the forum for $135 which is a good price.

I used a 150--and only a 150--for many years. There's a lot to be said for owning only a single lens (and which *has* been said on another thread!)...

--Darin

rdenney
3-Apr-2014, 13:44
Hi there,
I'm new in LF and I would like to have your opinions about a possible purchase.
What do think is preferable: to buy a new Chamonix F1 and wait to buy a used lens, or, buy a 45n-2 used (mint) with a Nikkor-SW 75mm/4.5 in good shape. I don't really know if the difference between this two cameras are noticeable for a beginner like me...

Thanks for your advices!

Best,
Martín

https://www.flickr.com/photos/martingomezphotos/

Welcome to the forum, Martin. You posted in a forum devoted to reports about buyer/seller transactions, and I moved the thread to the Cameras forum.

Please do not request to buy anything. After your first 30 days, you'll be granted access to the For-Sale forum, and you can post a wanted-to-buy there. While you wait, please join in the conversation, and also do us a favor and click on "Usage Guidelines" above and take a look.

Rick "enjoy" Denney

Winger
4-Apr-2014, 07:52
I started with a Cambo monorail that came with a 210mm and recently bought a new Chamonix F1. That 210mm is still my most used lens. I looked around some for a used Chamonix N2 and didn't find one. Of course, after buying the F1, there were a few around. I agree with Rick to look around and read up on them all first. If you have a chance to go out shooting with someone near you who shoots 4x5, that would help tremendously. Most cameras have more movements and features than you'll need most of the time. Trying it out is the best way to find out which ones you really need. If you start with a used camera, you can likely sell it for close to what you paid when/if you decided that another suits you better. But being patient is a good idea.