PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Arkay contact printer

mike rosenlof
31-Mar-2014, 07:07
user Pawlowski6132 has posted a for sale ad in that section that includes an 8x10 arkay contact printer.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?112410-FS-Dark-Room-Stuff-Pick-Up-in-Detroit

I would love to hear more about that Arkay contact printer. I'm guessing that's one of the "too big to ship" items, but seeing it has me thinking of a DIY project.

I'm guessing the multiple switches are for multiple light sources, and maybe an overall dimmer on that knob at the left, timer on the top. The dodge/burn controls are turning lights on/off. How am I doing?

I guess I'm interested in how it is to use the device. Have you found it to be a useful tool? What sort of process do you use to go from first exposure to final print?

It looks to me that this is primarily a volume printing tool but does not really have the fine control possible with a print frame and classical dodge/burn tools. Is that close?

NancyP
3-Apr-2014, 13:38
I too am curious. If I had a large darkroom space ready, I would drive to Detroit (11 hours) to pick up several items, but as it is, I will do fine with a print frame. You see similar light box - contact printers on eBay, but not in good shape and not this large. Most are for 4x5.

Tin Can
3-Apr-2014, 14:16
I use a different 8x10 contact printer all the time.

Great things once you are dialled in.

Time-O-Liter Printer

I also use a smaller 5x7, but only if I have 2 people in darkroom.

The big one does it all easier.