PDA

View Full Version : Tripod leveling base

Ginette
30-Mar-2014, 10:57
I look for a tripod leveling base maybe a Manfrotto 438 or an Acratech 1117.
My intention is to use it under a regular head (Manfrotto 405 and 410) but also, to be lighweight, use it without standard head, only with a Manfrotto 394 Low Profile Quick Release Adapter.
Both leveling bases do a 10 degres tilt but I will like to know if I can turn these bases when unlocked or if only the tilt is available. I don't wish to make panoramic but only small ajustements in horizontal framing without moving the tripod legs.
Thanks for your comments if you have thoses leveling bases or maybe another suggestions.
For 8x10 and 5x7 cameras.

Dan Fromm
30-Mar-2014, 12:35
I can't address the Acratech. But I have and use Manfrotto 138 and 438. The ball will move in all directions in the clamp when the clamp is released.

I wouldn't use either without a head on top of it. I hate ball heads, when unlocked they're loose on all axes. I find 3 axis heads much easier to use. Also, using a leveler like a ball head completely defeats the purpose of using one at all: to make the pan axis vertical.

Jim Andrada
30-Mar-2014, 13:12
I've used a Manfrotto 338 with a DSLR and a panorama head to do 360 degree HDRI panoramas for CGI. Not the most convenient gadget I've ever used. It's precise, but the leveling knobs can be hard to turn and it has a three point adjustment so it won't be too useful for what you're thinking.

I also use a video tripod with a leveling ball - these work very, very well, but generally you would level everything first before mounting a camera rather than use it to adjust the cam after setting it up.

As Dan said, they exist to make the pan axis vertical - important when doing panoramas, absolutely essential when doing video. Otherwise I find a tripod without a spreader to be really simple to adjust by just spreading a leg or two a bit before mounting the camera.

Jac@stafford.net
30-Mar-2014, 13:24
I don't wish to make panoramic but only small ajustements in horizontal framing without moving the tripod legs.

That is an important distinction.

Look at the Ries heads, in particular their J250 and J250-2.

You would not need to add a head on top.

Ginette
30-Mar-2014, 14:17
That is an important distinction.

Look at the Ries heads, in particular their J250 and J250-2.

You would not need to add a head on top.

Yes I sold some tripod heads recently. Maybe I should sell all and go for a Ries :) Thanks for the suggestion, I will look at the Ries models and also be ready if one is offered in the Classified.

I like the geared Manfrotto in digital. Tripods are Gitzo G2220 for DSLR (with the 410 head), the rapid column turn wherever you want! For LF I have the Gitzo G1410 (with the 405 head) the main pod don't turn on this one.
I have also a Majestic, the pneumatic with the big 6x7" plate head but it is heavy for the field! And another heavy Manfrotto for studio work.

So for the leveling base, it is not a good idea for what I wish to do with! Never use ball heads, unless with DSLR. So this leveling base will act like regular ball head, moving in all directions when clamp will be released, it will be "all or nothing", no middle position where ball will be harder to move and for example be able to pan some degrees without loosing the vertical axis.
As I understand, good without the camera on and pretty hazardous to try adjustements with an 8x10 on.

Jac@stafford.net
30-Mar-2014, 14:31
I have a the better panoramic leveling bases from the period when QTVR was a big deal. The jobs paid for the sad hardware now languishing in storage. 😌

It is good to revert to film and darkroom prints in old-age. 😁

Dan Fromm
30-Mar-2014, 14:36
Ginette, my heaviest camera weighs over 25 pounds. It levels easily with a Manfrotto 138, also with the 438. You want one, with a three axis head on top of it. I use Manfrotto 229s, and there are many other good ones. Incidentally, the 438 is on a Ries.

There are many ways of dividing large format photographers into two groups. One of the ways is "uses a leveler/hasn't used one yet." People ask about levelers here from time to time. I don't recall any users saying that they regretted getting a leveler or advising against. They make initial set up very easy. After initial set up, use the three axis head (or a simpler pan/tilt head) to point the camera in the direction desired and to tilt it as needed.

Some one mentioned the Manfrotto 338. I have one, got it as part of a bundle, really should sell it. It is for VR work with a DSLR. I don't find it pleasant to use.

Greg Miller
30-Mar-2014, 15:35
I would advise against the Acratech. It is very lightweight, but a LF camera would be too heavy for it. It is impossible to lock down tight. Even with just a dSLR on it, it isn't hard to bump it enough to move the positioning.

Jim Andrada
30-Mar-2014, 15:45
Hi Dan

I think there's a third category - "uses levelers but doesn't think they're silver bullets". I do use them - doing video without one with a 20+ pound camera would be insanity IMHO. I also use a Ries tripod/head set and find it really easy to level it by adjusting the legs because the leg spread locking gear is right up at the top. Wouldn't spend the money for a leverler with the Ries. The Linhof tripod on the other hand might benefit from one and the 338 works OK as a leveler on it. But as we both seem to have said, it isn't a pleasant gadget to use. I'd probably like the 438 better but not better enough to prompt me to get one since I already have the 338

Greg Miller
30-Mar-2014, 15:56
I've gone through several 438's. They last me about one year before the locking lever assembly breaks.

Roger Hesketh
30-Mar-2014, 16:34
I use a Manfrotto 029 3 way head on top of a Miller wooden legged Cine tripod. The tripod has a levelling head built into it. The level is adjusted by releasing a large knob beneath the head. It is possible to partially release the levelling head by just unscrewing the knob a tidge. You can then move the head but their is still some resistance to movement. I have no problems levelling the tripod with a camera on top of it. If I was to encounter a problem doing so it would be simple matter to take the camera off the tripod and replace it using the quick release plate. For me this set up ticks all the boxes except it is a little heavy. Transportable rather than portable.
Off the beaten track I do not use tripod. I use a Manfrotto monopod with a Graflex camera. Either an SLR or a Speed Graphic fitted with a bubble level. The monopod doubles as a walking stick and is good for helping to ascertain how soft ground is.

Dan Fromm
30-Mar-2014, 19:21
"uses levelers but doesn't think they're silver bullets" <snip> I also use a Ries tripod/head set and find it really easy to level it by adjusting the legs because the leg spread locking gear is right up at the top. Wouldn't spend the money for a leverler with the Ries.

Jim, I haven't yet found a magic bullet, doubt they exist, but levelers are handy.

My ancient Ries doesn't have the nice easily adjusted leg spread adjusters, alas.

Cheers,

Dan

Jim Andrada
31-Mar-2014, 13:31
Hi Greg

Good point re the locking lever. I'll stick with the 338 for now - the knurled adjusting gizmos can be hard to turn and you sometimes run out of adjustment range and have to back everything off and start over, but in the end it does level the head and it's secure. I mostly use the Ries these days.

Are you going to NAB next week? I'll be there one day on behalf of my clients in Tokyo. One day in Raleigh, one day in Las Vegas, one day in LA - no wonder I never get time to shoot much these days.

Ginette
31-Mar-2014, 19:10
Thanks all for the comments. Best way is probably to try it! Maybe with the handle of the old 138, I will feel more in control of the camera weight than the 438 lever that you have to twist. Also maybe Ari FLM with knob.
Original idea is to save weight, look like one item will be added! I will also compare my actual material weight with wood tripod, never had one. The Ries look great and controls well designed.

Greg Miller
31-Mar-2014, 19:45
Hi Greg

Good point re the locking lever. I'll stick with the 338 for now - the knurled adjusting gizmos can be hard to turn and you sometimes run out of adjustment range and have to back everything off and start over, but in the end it does level the head and it's secure. I mostly use the Ries these days.

Are you going to NAB next week? I'll be there one day on behalf of my clients in Tokyo. One day in Raleigh, one day in Las Vegas, one day in LA - no wonder I never get time to shoot much these days.

No NAB for me. I have a book commission I am working on plus 2 projects for important commercial clients. So no time for travel. But happy to have a lot of photographs to make.

Jim Andrada
31-Mar-2014, 19:50
@ginette

The Ries I have has a set of locking clamps near the top of the legs that can lock the spread very well and conveniently. And it's fairly light. I really like mine a lot. With the leg extensions I can get the camera 10 to 12 feet high so I need a ladder to use it.

Ginette
31-Mar-2014, 21:14
@ginette

The Ries I have has a set of locking clamps near the top of the legs that can lock the spread very well and conveniently. And it's fairly light. I really like mine a lot. With the leg extensions I can get the camera 10 to 12 feet high so I need a ladder to use it.

@ Jim - I will need to add a ladder now :D More seriously what model do you have and paired with what head.
Actually my Gitzo is heavy but solid, an old model Pro Tele Studex G1410. But I will look serioustly to the Ries.

For the leveling base, i will give a try to Ari FLM, the LB-25, a 25 degres, I will try it alone as my first idea was.

AtlantaTerry
31-Mar-2014, 22:35
I have been using my Manfrotto video tripod with fluid head under my Cambo cameras.

The fluid head sits in a 75mm bowl. With one hand I can move the camera up/down/left/right then lock it into position. This is far easier than trying to adjust tripod legs with fine changes.

There is a picture of me with this configuration at the top of my Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Terry.Thomas.Photos

In years past I had a Gitzo three axis head under my RB-67. One day at a wedding, I forgot to tighten the tilt lever and the RB fell forward with so much energy that the focusing chimney snapped the small mounting screws off of the camera body. Not good. :mad: So the last thing I want to have under any of my LF cameras is a three way head. Lesson learned!

I do have a Manfrotto 410 geared head that I use for my commercial and architectural work with my DSLR, 35mm and medium format cameras. Frankly, I have not tried it with any of my 4x5 cameras but may try it with my Crown Graphic just to see how it works.

Sean Chilibeck
1-Apr-2014, 06:02
I have a simple EZ Leveler (http://shop.nodalninja.com/ez-levelers/). If you`re looking for an alternative to the Manfroto 338. It is easier to use the levelling nuts, and I have it on a Gitzo with the Manfrotto 410 on top for 4x5.

Just thought I would give you another option.

Ari
1-Apr-2014, 06:48
I have a simple EZ Leveler (http://shop.nodalninja.com/ez-levelers/). If you`re looking for an alternative to the Manfroto 338. It is easier to use the levelling nuts, and I have it on a Gitzo with the Manfrotto 410 on top for 4x5.

Just thought I would give you another option.

I like the look of that thing; is there a bubble level anywhere? Can't see one.

Jim Andrada
3-Apr-2014, 08:55
I have some of the Nodal Ninja stuff for the digital spherical HDRI panoramas I do - very nice products. But I think pretty focused on the DSLR market so not sure how they'd hold up with large cameras. It isn't just the weight they support, the way the weight is distributed can have a big effect as well.

Sean Chilibeck
4-Apr-2014, 06:55
Ari, it doesn't have a bubble level unfortunately. I just use a torpedo level or the levels on my camera.

I have some of the Nodal Ninja stuff for the digital spherical HDRI panoramas I do - very nice products. But I think pretty focused on the DSLR market so not sure how they'd hold up with large cameras. It isn't just the weight they support, the way the weight is distributed can have a big effect as well.

This it true, and will have an affect, but I find that large format monorail cameras have more balanced weight distribution which is beneficial for levelling bases (assuming that the camera is a monorail). I haven't used it with a camera larger than my Arca Swiss 4x5 but it was plenty sturdy. I assume the camera isn't a massive beast as Ginette is looking at using a Manfrotto 410.

Greg Miller
4-Apr-2014, 13:09
These days I prefer a leveling base like these: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/sc.26/category.563/it.C/.f

These bases really don't elevate the camera much more than a regular head on a tripod. Whereas the leveling bases that go between the tripod and the head raise the camera. The higher the camera gets, the more any errors in leveling get magnified.

Ari
6-Apr-2014, 08:53
Ari, it doesn't have a bubble level unfortunately. I just use a torpedo level or the levels on my camera.

Thanks, Sean; still, a nice-looking piece of kit.

Jeff Keller
10-Apr-2014, 18:15
For just horizontal motion you could attach a panning base to your camera, then clamp the panning base in your tripod head. There are quite a few vendors, with Really Right Stuff being one of the most well known http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3603/.f?sc=26&category=598

Potentially you could also attach the panning base directly to your tripod, then level using your legs.

-jeff