PDA

View Full Version : Bag for an 11"x14" Chamonix?

Craig Tuffin
28-Mar-2014, 21:20
I've been looking for a bag for this camera for a while now, but just can't find anything that will fit it. I've got the largest Kelty…doesn't fit, lower…too small. I've looked and searched forums but can't find any answers.

I would prefer something soft so I can be at least a little discreet in the middle of Sydney (I know that sounds odd but it might be better than rolling a big aluminium travel case and watching the heads turn). I've looked in camping stores and tried to find something to modify but alas still no answer.

The dimensions are 460mm (a little over 18") x 490mm (just over 19") x 150mm (6")

Any suggestions are extremely welcome…something you have available even better :)

evan clarke
29-Mar-2014, 04:45
Hi Craig, I went through the same hassle for mine..Here are pics of my final solution, after buying some different bags which didn't work.

evan clarke
29-Mar-2014, 04:51
Second round.. I got this frame from http://www.bullpacs.com/

I bought some little point and shoot camera bags for the lenses which are attached to the frame with wire ties, I have three on there now. Three lenses, camera, one filmholder, darkcloth and pack frame are lighter than my 4x5 kit..Cheers, Evan Clarke

Drew Bedo
29-Mar-2014, 06:23
What about luggage? aAroll-around suitcase of the right size might work for urban photography. I have found luggage to be quite inexpensive at re-sale shops and charity thrift stores.

If a piece doesn't work out, you are only in it for a few dollars.

Am I way off-base here?

William Whitaker
29-Mar-2014, 07:39
I use a Tenba Car Case CC-22 for my 14x17. It's very basic; top-loading with a single handle. I'm not going to strap that thing to my back, so this works for me. As usual, YMMV.

Drew Bedo
29-Mar-2014, 10:11
YMMV? Is this a ULF in-word. . .or what?

William Whitaker
29-Mar-2014, 10:17
Shorthand for "Your Mileage May Vary", as in "my results won't necessarily be your results". A nod to ubiquitous optimistic TV car advertisements and a general disclaimer. And yes, it is frequently appropriate for ULF.

Erik Larsen
29-Mar-2014, 10:31
Check out the MEI backpacks. I have one and it can hold an 11x14 and a 4 lens photobackpacker case. They are soft sided so they can expand further than the stated dimensions suggest. Very comfortable straps for hiking. I bought mine in the 1980's and it is still going strong. I don't know how the current models compare to the old stuff. The stars can be hidden away and it can double as a suitcase for airline use.
http://www.meipacks.com

Drew Bedo
29-Mar-2014, 11:48
Will: thanks for the tutorial.

evan clarke
29-Mar-2014, 11:58
With my pack frame setup, it's easily carried and opened, can hike with it.

Thom Bennett
29-Mar-2014, 13:48
Ah, thanks for that info! Just what I need (maybe the smaller version) for my 11x14.

I use a Tenba Car Case CC-22 for my 14x17. It's very basic; top-loading with a single handle. I'm not going to strap that thing to my back, so this works for me. As usual, YMMV.

Craig Tuffin
29-Mar-2014, 18:55
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I might go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003H940J8/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

It'll hold the camera with room at the top for a few lenses and dark cloth.

StoneNYC
29-Mar-2014, 19:26
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I might go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003H940J8/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

It'll hold the camera with room at the top for a few lenses and dark cloth.

With no wheels? Just get a rolling pelican case and be done with it...

I do agree getting an old external frame pack to go with it...

Craig Tuffin
30-Mar-2014, 00:42
Ive got a hard case but don't want to stand out too much when I'm setting up illegally in the middle of Sydney's CBD. This I can carry if only a little more subtly with the strap over the shoulder (the Chamonix is light enough for that).

Lachlan 717
30-Mar-2014, 01:40
Craig,

Have you considered something like a Kelty frame with a custom bag? i have spoken to wetsuit makers in Melbourne about this for my 7x17" camera, as well as for film holders, and they can do this pretty easily. They can use 7mm neoprene which offers a heap of protection, as well as being bespoke to your needs.

Craig Tuffin
30-Mar-2014, 01:50
I have considered a lot of different options Lachlan and yours makes sense but the Gator looks to be the best and cheapest option. They do have one pretty much exactly the right size for the 11x14 but I am getting the slightly larger one to make room for the couple of extras. Not bad for just over $100 IMO…with a shoulder strap and thick EPS foam. Shipping looks to be about $40

Lachlan 717
30-Mar-2014, 02:57
No worries, Craig. $140 landed is a cracker price!

I'll be having a chat to the wetsuit guys about the film holder sleeves soon. Want me to ask about 11x14 ones for you? I'm figuring something like the iPad sleeves with the lift up flap.

Craig Tuffin
30-Mar-2014, 02:59
Sounds great Lachlan! Let me know how you go.

loukilouko
30-Mar-2014, 04:25
Hello,
The right bag for my 11x14" Chamonix is Gator Cases G-MIX-B 1818 (B&H).

Drew Bedo
30-Mar-2014, 05:13
A few years ago I bought an inexpensive (under $30) Golf-Bag pull along cart. Took off nost of the Golf related parts and put on an old Kelty external pack frame with U-Bolts. Onto the pack frame went my LowePro Trekker backpack (one of the big ones) with an 8x10 kit in it.Couldn't figure oout how to strap on a hardshell Pelican case though.

Towed along nicely and the wheels were big enough for ground somewhat rougher than sidewalk. I am working on a modified version for a different bag . . .have to see how that works out.

StoneNYC
30-Mar-2014, 08:02
Ive got a hard case but don't want to stand out too much when I'm setting up illegally in the middle of Sydney's CBD. This I can carry if only a little more subtly with the strap over the shoulder (the Chamonix is light enough for that).

Because an 11x14 camera with foam in a black case and a handle is less suspicious than a pelican case... Lol, that bag looks like something that would contain a bomb...

And because setting up an 11x14 in general won't get you any attention ;)

Have fun, sounds like an adventure.

Drew Bedo
31-Mar-2014, 08:18

Try hiding in plane sight:

Get a high visability vest like a cconstruction worker or street worker wears, also get a white hard hat and a few orange cones.

When you set up your gear, set out the cones and put on the hat with the vest. you will at LOOK like you are supposed to be there. If you want to go over the top, run some yellow tape from cone to cone. Here in the USA these items are available at Lowes oe Home Depot. Don't know about Australia.

StoneNYC
31-Mar-2014, 08:27

Get a high visability vest like a cconstruction worker or street worker wears, also get a white hard hat and a few orange cones.

When you set up your gear, set out the cones and put on the hat with the vest. you will at LOOK like you are supposed to be there. If you want to go over the top, run some yellow tape from cone to cone. Here in the USA these items are available at Lowes oe Home Depot. Don't know about Australia.

Haha I should try that in time square :)

djhopscotch
31-Mar-2014, 09:50

Working as a surveyor I was always surprised that we could park and set up pretty much anywhere. No one questions you in safety gear driving white pick up truck and cones .

Regular Rod
31-Mar-2014, 10:24
I've been looking for a bag for this camera for a while now, but just can't find anything that will fit it. I've got the largest Kelty…doesn't fit, lower…too small. I've looked and searched forums but can't find any answers.

I would prefer something soft so I can be at least a little discreet in the middle of Sydney (I know that sounds odd but it might be better than rolling a big aluminium travel case and watching the heads turn). I've looked in camping stores and tried to find something to modify but alas still no answer.

The dimensions are 460mm (a little over 18") x 490mm (just over 19") x 150mm (6")

Any suggestions are extremely welcome…something you have available even better :)

Do you have keen carp anglers in Australia and do they buy luggage to carry their gear? Here in the UK we can get their waterproof bottomed luggage for little money. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=fox+royale+rucksack You will need to wrap and protect as per Evan's solution but would have the added protection of the bag around it. You'd be working top access with a fishing bag.

The best solution IF IT CAN FIT would be one of Bruce Laughton's creations. I use his latest offering for my 8x10 Shen Hao along with lenses, film holders, meter, filters and sundry accessories. Contact him on http://www.photobackpacker.com/adm/ContactUs.php and explain what you want. He is a photographer in his own right, understands our needs very well and is a very pleasant man to do business with.

RR

koh303
2-Apr-2014, 16:29

This could not be more true.
A high visibility vest and a name badge (no matter what it actually says or where it was issued from, a student ID works best...) is access to do pretty much anything, especially if you are carrying around some "delicate scientific gear". Always wear a hat.

evan clarke
4-Apr-2014, 12:21
Actually, you can't hurt the camera in my setup. I use quilted material as a giant lens wrap of sorts with an inch of foam between it and the frame. There is a lower shelf,the foam wraps around thereand the camera sits on it. On the GG goes the folded dark cloth and on top of that one or two filmholders in bubble mailers. The quilting wraps around with the corners to the center. The package is secured with two web straps with snap lock buckles which hold everythin well within the confines of the frame. I can get my rig going faster than many people can set up their 4x5. I get a lot of practice, I carry it with me at all times.

AlexGard
29-Jun-2014, 00:31
+1 for the surveyor gear. Wear a hi-vis vest, hard hat and have a witches hat or something handy. People will keep well out of your way :)