PDA

View Full Version : f-stop kenti for 4x5" [toyo vx125] ??

andemening
28-Mar-2014, 06:50
Does anybody have this backpack? What's your impression?

Will it work as a daypack for toyo vx125?

NancyP
28-Mar-2014, 08:19
I have the largest pack, the Satori 52L , and I consider it a well made and well designed pack. It is not "Ultra-light". I bought it to serve as a weekend hybrid pack for camera plus full set of solo camping gear and food/water. There are many sizes of camera insert available. Camera gear is accessed by putting the bag on its front surface, unzipping a full back panel to expose the separate camera insert inside, then unzipping the insert. The insert is attached to internal tie-downs so it doesn't shift around while you carry it. Opening via the panel facing your back means that any mud/dirt is on the outside, not on the back panel. I have not yet hiked with LF kit (I just got the LF kit, and am waiting for better weather), but the inserts are configurable. The f-stop people are very helpful and will answer any questions. The website has very complete documentation.

I have one major reservation about the f-stop system that has required some aftermarket modification on my part - all bags are one-size-fits-all, "all" being a medium to large torso man. I am a medium height short torso woman, and the suspension is suboptimal for me even after tightening the load lifter straps. It is fine for short distances, but definitely uncomfortable on a 10 mile day with 35# pack. To fix this, I have made after-market shoulder pads out of dense foam, to be attached to the existing shoulder straps. I will see how well the pack carries on a long hike soon.

You will be very happy with one of the f-stop packs if you have the "average" build that the pack is sized for. If you are significantly smaller than average, another solution might be the photobackpacker pack/insert set. The photobackpacker pack system allows one to select torso size and shoulder strap style. The insert attaches to an internal frame sheet via velcro. You tell them the size of your camera, they identify the appropriate camera insert. Lens inserts can be separate. There is an interesting accessory, a film holder bag which unfolds and hangs on your tripod.