PDA

View Full Version : Q about my Wisner

Peter Collins
27-Mar-2014, 09:49
I have a Wisner 4x5 Technical without a bail. Film holders--Fidelty/Regal all plastic--go in with difficulty. I want to 'grease' the pocket--the wooden 'rails' in the camera back to make insertion easier. I am looking for advice on material to apply to wood 'rails'. Thoughts?

mdarnton
27-Mar-2014, 10:05
I can think of a number of approaches, but I'd probably start with a wax of some sort--in my field it would be this: http://www.amazon.com/Picreator-Renaissance-Wax-200ml/dp/B0012S1XBO/

Kevin Crisp
27-Mar-2014, 10:33
Try wiping the edges of the holders with an anti-static sheet for the clothes dryer. Wax would work, but also flake off and fall down. Car wax on the wood surfaces will slick them up and not leave residue of you remove it after it dries.

Or have a bail installed by Mr. Ritter. I would NOT use grease of any kind.

John Koehrer
27-Mar-2014, 20:27
I use paraffin(canning wax) & just rub a little on.
Candle wax will work too.

Peter Collins
27-Mar-2014, 20:57
Thanks for the help, mdarton, Kevin and John!

Keith Pitman
28-Mar-2014, 03:13
I second Renaiisance wax. It's very hard and very slick.

Doremus Scudder
28-Mar-2014, 03:17
Chiming in late here:

I use beeswax or Carnauba. I have a couple of cameras with tight spring backs and usually just pry the back open an inch or so, insert the filmholder as far as it will go, then release the back and slide from there. That usually does the trick. There may also be a way to adjust the spring tension of your back if it continues to be a problem. I'd rather have a tight back than a loose one though...

Best,

Doremus

AJ Edmondson
28-Mar-2014, 09:32
IMHO Richard Ritter's bail-back is the best modification. Ron's springs are indeed strong and I was never able to "relax" them to any measurable extent. I agree with Doremus... better too tight than not tight enough but with Richard's bail you get easy insertion with no disturbance and retain a good, tight fit!

Joel

MIke Sherck
28-Mar-2014, 11:25
A third vote for Renaissance Wax. I use it to wax my Zone VI every year. I've never seen the slightest sign of it flaking off.

Mike

Francisco J. Fernández
28-Mar-2014, 11:42
Hi ... have you thought about painting with a pencil graphite "soft" (one staedler 3B or similar).

Graphite is used as greasing in many mechanical parts, including many shutters (first cameras Minolta XM and XM engine 1972 and Pentax 6x7).

why graphite? because that will not melt and does not harden with temperature changes, its ability to lubricate a machine serves under the ice and under the sun and can not handle sticking in the particles of sand or dust, not a sticky substance.

after passing the 3B pencil you can use a brush to remove dusty remains.
also you can pass the pencil 3B by the edges of the chassis.

then use a vacuum cleaner to remove any dust fall where it should not fall

I sincerely believe that this is a good solution (I use it more than 20 years ... I learned as a Geologist)

Peter Collins
15-Apr-2014, 17:40
Try wiping the edges of the holders with an anti-static sheet for the clothes dryer.

I took this route and it worked like a charm! I did the film holders and the back itself by removing the springs and thus the back, and then I wiped the six surfaces--all wood, of course--that the film holder slides along when inserted.

That stuff worked very well! I wondered what was in those anti-static sheets, but the manufacturer ("Gain" they call themselves) doesn't enlighten. Deliberately, I'm sure.

RichardRitter
16-Apr-2014, 04:18
You must have one of the camers that have the over harden leaf springs. The left hand side is the side that breaks first.
A bail is the best way to go. the replacement spring are not made any more and the camera would have to have a slight modification to take springs that are available.