PDA

View Full Version : Forte going down the tubes as well?

tim atherton
1-Oct-2004, 08:40
This is a crossover from the Photokina thread

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/499700.html

So is this correct - anyone? Is Forte also going under as well as Ilford?

In the quest to set up a replacement for my favourite HP5+ it would be nice not to pick Forte film if that stuf (and presumably J&C Classic, Arista edu, Bergger etc) is also to thebig toilet int he sky?

If so, it looks like Tri-X it is until Kodak decides that's no good either.

anyone else have any info on it?

paulr
1-Oct-2004, 09:58
I'm trying to get an answer on this ... an email I sent to omegasat@erols.com (the distributor I found listed on the web) bounced. Is this the current distributor?

Jim Galli
1-Oct-2004, 10:04
Anybody got a good formula for some 19th century soup we can paint on glass? Looks like we're going to need it.

David A. Goldfarb
1-Oct-2004, 10:05
This would be troublesome, but I could imagine that between Bergger, Omega, Freestyle, Fotoimpex, J&C, and Freestyle, there ought to be a foreign investor or two in there.

A while ago I did a little research on Hungarian silver production, which I've often heard cited as the reason for there being a Hungarian photographic industry that held up through the Communist years after Kodak pulled out, and while the Hungarian silver deposits are of historical importance, my sense was that by today's commercial standards, they aren't really competitively viable. Which is to say, Forte's financial problems, if they exist, may be more on the supply side than the demand side.

David A. Goldfarb
1-Oct-2004, 10:06
Jim, I'm glad I managed to fix up that 5x7" plate mag for my Graflex.

tim atherton
1-Oct-2004, 10:08
That would probably be

info@omegasatter.com

www.omegasatter.com

My hope is (....) it's just a misinformed rumour. But if it came from Bergger - who certainly used to have their Bergger 2000 made by Forte...

tim atherton
1-Oct-2004, 10:13
and there is Forte themselves

http://www.forte-photo.net/e/polifb.htm

tim atherton
1-Oct-2004, 10:14
I'm starting to think tintype, wet collodian plate etc etc - maybe Sally Mann is just ahead of her time as usual... :-)

Better start hunting down those plate holders on ebay - maybe Ed Hill still makes them for Gandolfis !

Christopher Nisperos
1-Oct-2004, 10:26
Hi gang,

I'd say, don't panic yet. "Going into bankruptcy" doesn't always mean "going out of business", if the Polaroid experience is any indication. As well, don't forget good ol' Paterson, which has gone into bankruptcy more times than I can recall.

I'll repeat from my other thread, in answer to Tim's Photokina question, that I'm putting my support behind FotoImpex/J&C, based upon my long talk with the owners at Photokina a couple of days ago. They are really going all out to try to save many of the remaining products on the market ... even potentially thinking about new ones. They have good contacts at the remaining factories and they are, to my mind, "consumer conscious" (such as not taking advantage of the current crisis by raising prices, but in fact even lowering prices in certain cases).

Tim, as far as HP5 goes, as I mentioned in the other thread, try FotoImpex's Adox CHM 400. I have it on good authority that it's HP5 reload. I do not know if it's "HP5 plus", though. I can try to find out, if you want. My source tells me that there's about a two year supply, cold-stored.

I know it's unusual in the forum to name and promote a particular company, but from what I saw and felt from my Photokina visit, I think it's critical, at this point, to support FotoImpex ... 'cause they are, in effect, supporting us.

evan clarke
1-Oct-2004, 10:38
The film situation really stinks! The upshot is that even if there are people with money to invest, they are not going to put in B&W film. I just made an adapter to place my 1Ds Canon on the back standard of my 6x9 Arca Fmetric..Evan

David A. Goldfarb
1-Oct-2004, 11:51
From John at J&C:

"We spoke to them yesterday.

Forte has had some production difficulties and delayed delivery of products. They are still taking orders and hope to have production back in 4 to 6 weeks. This has nothing to do with banks stepping in. They have however approached banks for additional financing."

You can follow the thread at:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9233&page=1&pp=10

Pete Watkins
1-Oct-2004, 13:27
I was at the camera fair at Wolverhampton in the UK on Sunday and was told by a dealer that "Fuji won't let Ilford close because Ilford makes Fuji mono film". I have no idea if there is any truth in this and even if there is would Fuji care?

Terence McDonagh
1-Oct-2004, 13:57
Jim, look up the "Primitive Photography", which was published a year or two ago. It has full formulas, sources for chemicals, etc and goes through making several 19th century cameras and lenses, papers and plates. Mostly callotypes. Very intriguing even if you don't plan to do it.

tim atherton
1-Oct-2004, 14:52
"Tim, as far as HP5 goes, as I mentioned in the other thread, try FotoImpex's Adox CHM 400. I have it on good authority that it's HP5 reload. I do not know if it's "HP5 plus", though. I can try to find out, if you want. My source tells me that there's about a two year supply, cold-stored."

J&C doesn't list it (at least in 8x10)? Where can you find it? In fact I can't seem to find it on the FotoImpex site either?

Also wasn't HP5 320 and HP5+ is 400

Christopher Nisperos
1-Oct-2004, 17:40
Hi Tim,

As I mentioned in the other thread ("Photokina news"), FotoImpex's Adox CHM 400 (and CHM 100) are new products. They appear in the FotoImpex catalogue being handed out at Photokina at this moment, if not yet on their website. Also, to repeat, it is available in 35mm and 120 sizes. The 120 film comes in a re-sealable, plastic container.

HP5 was ISO 400, like HP5+. In any case, I would guess that Adox CHM, which -- if my information is correct --- was bought and repackaged only recently, is more likely to be HP5+ (HP5 having been discontinued many years ago!).

For more information, you might want to email John at J&C, the "horse's mouth". He should be able to fill you in about new sheet films too.

Best,

tim atherton
1-Oct-2004, 17:59
"HP5 was ISO 400, like HP5+ " Hmmm - not in sheets it wasn't. I've got the data sheet here - iso 320.

Okay - and it doesn't look like it's available in sheets right now/anyway?

thanks

tim

Christopher Nisperos
2-Oct-2004, 09:10
Hi Tim,

The book, "Ilford Monochrome Darkroom Practice" (Focal Press, 1988 edition, page 41) states that HP5 is ISO 400. Unfortunately, it doesn't specify rolls or sheet.

Once again, you might want to contact John at J&C, to find out about new sheet films.

tim atherton
2-Oct-2004, 10:12
Christopher,

Just checked my Data sheet from an old box of HP5 8x10 - as I recalled, definately rated by Ilford at nominal 320iso. That box was from within a couple of years before it changed over to HP5+

I've emailed you a jpeg of it.

Christopher Nisperos
3-Oct-2004, 08:24
Thanks, Tim.