PDA

View Full Version : Wich filter size to use on Centerfilter with 75mm SA

sdzsdz
25-Mar-2014, 09:53
Hi, I´m very new to this forum and am searching for advice, perhaps somebody can help me!

I have a question concerning Filters on a 75mm SA 5,6 with 4x5 and 6x17 and Centerfilter III. The centerfilter has a front thread of 86mm. Does it make sense to use bigger filters -e.g. 95mm or even 105mm to prevent for vignetting? I would use a 1000x Stopper or a orange filter for B+W work. I would also use the Cokin Z System for graduated filters.

Thank you guys,
Sebastian (Germany)

Jim Noel
25-Mar-2014, 10:46
The center filter needs to fit the threads of the lens, not be larger. The diameter of the diffuser portion is important. If it is too large or too small it will not produce the desired effect. I prefer to use the filter sold by the lens manufacturer for the chosen lens. If you use the Cokin system on the 6x17 it would not surprise me if vignetting occurred.

sdzsdz
25-Mar-2014, 10:59
Hi and thank you, but it seems I did not make it clear enough. I want to use OTHER filters IN FRONT of the centerfilter, for example a yellow filter or a ND Filter. My question is, if it makes sense to use a step-up solution to 95 or even 105mm to prevent from vignetting.

Best regards, Sebastian

Jim Noel
25-Mar-2014, 14:06
I use very thing rimmed filters of the same size as the lens. A step-up may be a good answer.

Leigh
25-Mar-2014, 14:15
if it makes sense to use a step-up solution to 95 or even 105mm to prevent from vignetting.
Hi Sebastian, and welcome aboard.

Definitely yes. Using larger filters in front of the center filter is highly desirable to prevent vignetting.

Get a thin step-up ring if available, and use thin filters if available. B+W makes such, and probably other companies.

- Leigh

hiend61
26-Mar-2014, 04:16
Sometimes I use filters in front of the center filters of my wide angle lenses. I use 105mm ones with steeping rings. 105 mm is big enough to prevent any vignetting. Other reason to use 105mm filters is that a Lee foundation kit can hold 105mm filters in front of it via an adapter. This way I can combine a polarizer or BW filter with a ND graduated filter.

sdzsdz
28-Mar-2014, 10:37
Thank you all very much! That was exactly what I was thinking. So I will go to 105mm Filters.

Sebastian

hiend61
29-Mar-2014, 03:21
[QUOTE=sdzsdz;1124701]Thank you all very much! That was exactly what I was thinking. So I will go to 105mm Filters.

Sebastian[/QUOTE

Heliopan makes a full range of 105 mm filter adapters of the best quality, and also two very convenient 105 mm metal lens hoods for standard and tele lenses. For a wide angle B+W 105 wide angle lens hood is the best solution.
Heliopan and B+W have the best 105mm filters. They have excellent glass and thin mounts.

https://www.foto-huppert.de/default2.asp
heliopan.de/wp-content/uploads/Preisliste.pdf

hoffner
29-Mar-2014, 05:34
Heliopan makes a full range of 105 mm filter adapters of the best quality, and also two very convenient 105 mm metal lens hoods for standard and tele lenses. For a wide angle B+W 105 wide angle lens hood is the best solution.
Heliopan and B+W have the best 105mm filters. They have excellent glass and thin mounts.

heliopan.de/wp-content/uploads/Preisliste.pdf[/QUOTE]

You probably misunderstand something. There are not metal lens hoods for LF lenses that would be produced for a specific filter size of "standard and tele lenses". Without seeing your heliopan link - you probably speak about smaller format lenses.

hiend61
29-Mar-2014, 06:57

heliopan.de/wp-content/uploads/Preisliste.pdf

You probably misunderstand something. There are not metal lens hoods for LF lenses that would be produced for a specific filter size of "standard and tele lenses". Without seeing your heliopan link - you probably speak about smaller format lenses.[/QUOTE]

I use a 105mm B+W metal wide angle lens hood (B+W code 970) with my wides, (65,75,90,110). An Heliopan 105mm metal short hood (Heliopan code 9803) for my 150-210 lenses and an Heliopan 105mm long metal lens hood (Heliopan code 9802) for lenses from 240 and finally combine both Heliopan metal hoods for my 600 and longer lenses. I adapt them to each filter/lens size with Heliopan filter adapters, except for exotic sizes like 85x0,75, that were ordered to the local CNC wokshop.
I do not know if B+W or Heliopan made their metal lens hoods for large format in mind, the fact is that I use them and they work.

hoffner
29-Mar-2014, 10:02
[/I]
[/I][/I][/I]

I do not know if B+W or Heliopan made their metal lens hoods for large format in mind, the fact is that I use them and they work.

No, they are not meant for LF lenses at all and cannot act as a lens hood for a LF lens even if you can attach them to such a lens. However, thank you for your explanation.