PDA

View Full Version : Finding B&W Chems at Camera Stores

Jeff Morfit
24-Mar-2014, 07:14
Does anyone know if there are any camera stores left in Northern Virginia that still sell B&W chemicals? Calumet/Penn is gone, most likely for good, and Richmond Camera no longer sells them. Guess for all future purchases I will have to order from Adorama or B&H. Things are getting really tight out there in brick and mortar land, folks. Does not look too good.

Bob Salomon
24-Mar-2014, 08:34
Did you check with Ace? Dominion? Pro Photo?

StoneNYC
24-Mar-2014, 08:46
Does anyone know if there are any camera stores left in Northern Virginia that still sell B&W chemicals? Calumet/Penn is gone, most likely for good, and Richmond Camera no longer sells them. Guess for all future purchases I will have to order from Adorama or B&H. Things are getting really tight out there in brick and mortar land, folks. Does not look too good.

Don't forget freestyle, there's a few chems that B&H sells but won't ship that freestyle will ship.

And, even the shop I got 120 PanF+ (what local store carries that in stock?) from in 2011 now has no 120 film at all ... They told me they wish they didn't have to sell any at all and can't wait till the demand is low enough to get rid of the in house lab altogether...

Sad day...

koh303
24-Mar-2014, 10:21
http://www.yelp.com/biz/photocraft-burke
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ace-photo-ashburn

Have no idea if those are close to you. But google knows.

Jeff Morfit
24-Mar-2014, 11:29
Looks as if Ace is strictly digital now, and Dominion only sells film, but no chemistry.

Pawlowski6132
24-Mar-2014, 12:17

B&H and Adorama ARE brick and mortar.

;^)

jp
24-Mar-2014, 12:29

I haven't had brick and mortar options for about 15 years. Nothing wrong with B&H/Adorama/Freestyle

David Karp
24-Mar-2014, 13:00
I am so lucky to be able to drive to Freestyle - Travel time is usually 15-20 minutes!

StoneNYC
24-Mar-2014, 13:41
I am so lucky to be able to drive to Freestyle - Travel time is usually 15-20 minutes!

Do they actually know anything there when you go in person? Whenever I call they sound like college kids that only used Tri-x once in a mandatory art/intro photo class...

Pawlowski6132
24-Mar-2014, 13:56
Do they actually know anything there when you go in person? Whenever I call they sound like college kids that only used Tri-x once in a mandatory art/intro photo class...

Prolly just the customer service or order takers. Anyone that really knows what they're talking about is not going to be sitting around taking phone orders.

Drew Wiley
24-Mar-2014, 15:07
Maybe you should ask for a job application, Stone!

David Karp
24-Mar-2014, 15:46
Many of them, if not all are well versed. They use the products they sell.

Howard Tanger
27-Mar-2014, 12:54
And "Pinks" for a couple of chili dogs is not too far away! Howard

David Karp
27-Mar-2014, 15:49
:-) Not as good for me as photography!