PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff V11 back?

RTucker
23-Mar-2014, 19:59
I just picked up a Deardorff V11, #202. It came with a 11x14-8x10 revolving back, and a 11x14 back, but when I went to attach the 11x14 back, the frame on it is too big, so it must be a reducing back from the next size up. Its only a couple of inches bigger so it cant be a 16x20 back, but whats in between? Also does anyone know what the first and last production numbers are, just interested at what timeline in production my #202 is.
Thanks

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
23-Mar-2014, 20:22
It could be an 11x14 back from a Deardorff studio 11x14, the S11. These are about 19 x 19".

RTucker
24-Mar-2014, 06:03
It is 18.5 x 18.5", so it probably does come from the studio camera. I wonder if I could take apart the frame to make it smaller, or just be on the lookout for the proper back.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
24-Mar-2014, 07:53
Yes, I double checked my back, and 18.5" is the correct size for a S11 back. To find the correct back you could check with Attrevida on ebay (caveat emptor, many have reported bad experiences with him), or call Richard Ritter. Perhaps Richard could mill down your back to the correct size?

Michael Kadillak
27-Mar-2014, 15:41
Yes, I double checked my back, and 18.5" is the correct size for a S11 back. To find the correct back you could check with Attrevida on ebay (caveat emptor, many have reported bad experiences with him), or call Richard Ritter. Perhaps Richard could mill down your back to the correct size?

Excellent recommendation as I am confident that Richard would be capable of getting your light traps and pins properly aligned. The best situation would be to send the camera to him in a double boxed package to let him do his magic with it. I would also work out what film holders you are going to work with because my wooden S&S holders are not set up at the same film orientation as my Fidelity Medical cassettes. As a result I have a Ritter back for S&S holders and an original Deardorff back for the medical holders. Send a sampling of your holders to Richard as well and you should be good to go. Fabulous camera and format. My only complaint is I wish I had longer arms to reach the f stop adjustment on the long lenses this format uses.