PDA

View Full Version : Old Lunapro & other light meters + new batteries

stansfieldphoto
22-Mar-2014, 12:15
Hi all,

I recently had some 4x5 and medium format film cameras donated to the high school that I teach at. Which is, obviously, awesome. However, I don't have any light meters. Looking on KEH, there are several older Lunapro and other ambient light meters available quite cheap, but I'm not sure which, if any, will give me accurate meter readings with newer batteries. Any ideas?

BrianShaw
22-Mar-2014, 12:28
WRT Luna Pro and battery adapters/alternatives, read through this: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?110391-Gossen-Luna-Pro-Thoughts/page3&highlight=luna+pro

With adapter I have excellent exposures. I also get good exposures from Weston III; they are inexpensive too.

Renato Tonelli
22-Mar-2014, 19:20
A Sekonic L-398 does not require a battery and is very reliable.

HtheD
20-Apr-2014, 18:59
I bought the replacement adapter with batteries from B&H, I think manufactured, or at least marketed by Luna Pro. Was more expensive than expected---maybe $40? The meter works fine without recalibration. This replacement has some properties different from the PX13, but as I remember, it provides the exact same voltage. Better check that, though.

Harry

Ian Gordon Bilson
20-Apr-2014, 20:49
A cheaper battery alternative would be the 675 size 1.4v hearing aid zinc-airs

MikeH
20-Apr-2014, 21:11

I agree. I've been using them in my LunaPro: I'm only shooting maybe once a month, but they are lasting about a year.

Ian Gordon Bilson
21-Apr-2014, 03:47
I agree. I've been using them in my LunaPro: I'm only shooting maybe once a month, but they are lasting about a year.

And,if you cover most of the airvents,the useful life extends. My reasoning is : the early Lunapros are excellent meters,but acquiring them off Evilbay is a crapshoot anyway.
The cheap,nasty zinc-airs give you the option of, at least, checking the meter before you commit to purchase.
When you find one you can trust,your options open up.
For a similar price,the Lunasix/Lunapro later options are a great alternative,with the improved SBC sensor , and use a 9v cell obtainable anywhere, without the memory defect of the Cds cell used in the earlier grey/blue Lunasixes..

Jerry Bodine
21-Apr-2014, 16:59

I bought a Lunasix new about '70. When it finally needed batteries the PX13 was no longer available, so I took it to my local repair guy and he replaced the batteries (no adapter) with two PX625A silver oxides and recalibrated it while I waited. It's been fine ever since. Now that you've suggested the use of 675 zinc-air batteries, I took a look at the 675 zinc-air used in my cochlear implant and have found it is quite smaller than PX625A (which is the same size as the original PX13), so I don't see how the 625 could be used in the meter without some sort of modification.

Ian Gordon Bilson
21-Apr-2014, 20:51
You are correct Jerry, but O-rings from the hardware store solve that problem.

Jerry Bodine
21-Apr-2014, 22:10
I don't see how the 625 could be used in the meter without some sort of modification.

Sorry, Ian. Obviously, I meant to say 675. Yes, O-rings would get it done.

Noah B
22-Apr-2014, 05:43
The PX625/13 batteries are still available online thru b&h. Since you're an educator I'm sure you can get some sort of discount. What school do you teach at? Nice to know people are still shooting view cameras!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/96457-REG/Wein_W9901201_MRB625_Cell_1_35v_Zinc_Air.html

HMG
22-Apr-2014, 09:20
You are correct Jerry, but O-rings from the hardware store solve that problem.

A #9 o-ring will match to the 675 zinc air to the O.D. of the px625. However, some devices require contact to the edge of the battery, so a rubber o-ring doesn't work. So: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-111.html

Ian Gordon Bilson
22-Apr-2014, 21:30
Also true, but you can always cut a segment out of the o-ring. Its only function is to prevent the cell/s rattling about. And a pellet of tinfoil can be tucked into the gap to make electrical contact.