PDA

View Full Version : Death Valley workshop with Kirk Gittings and Jan Pietrzak

Kirk Gittings
22-Mar-2014, 11:02
A new workshop in November that I am extremely proud to be associated with-put on by the fine folks at the Eastern Sierra Center for Photography. Come join us!

Join us in California's most feared desert, home to badlands, salt beds, mysteriously traveling rocks, and awe-inspiring views; visited by photographers and intrepid tourists year-round; successfully crossed only by the brave and air-conditioned!
http://esc4p.org/workshop_esc4p.pdf

The cost is reasonable, the instructors are knowledgeable and fun people. It should be a blast.

Dave Wooten
22-Mar-2014, 12:03
Itinerary? "Headquarters" , " base camp location?,
Sounds like something I could attend.

Kirk Gittings
22-Mar-2014, 12:10
Cool. I am a hired gun on this (as is Jan P. but he and I are doing this for our expenses-the rest goes as a fund raiser for ESC4P). So please contact Laura Campbell at:

eyelovefilm at gmail dot com

for details.

Jan Pietrzak
24-Mar-2014, 10:33
This whole project started with a friend of mine talking to a very nice lady in the Alabama Hill in the Owens Valley last year. Laura and ESC4P wanted to do some workshops in photography and needed some help in getting started. So the rest is history as they say.

I am so looking forward to the workshop. We have a good group of instructors and a great location to work with. This group brings a background in color and black/white, film and digital, big cameras to small ones and from traditional to non-traditional photography So it should be a great time for all. Plan on spending time out in the field making photographs. And time sitting around talk about photographs and your work in photography.

As Kirk said this is a fund raiser for ESC4P. So come and sign up for the workshop and support them.

Jan

ROL
24-Mar-2014, 11:15
Itinerary? "Headquarters" , " base camp location?,
Sounds like something I could attend.

If you knew where its was :rolleyes:. What subterfuge – the desert which shall not be named – good grief.

Apparently, given the professionally finished nature of the promotional banner, the unadvertised super secret location, "California's most feared desert", which could easily include a quarter of the state, is an attempt to avoid fees in a very specific federally managed area. How unfortunate, for all of us really, that workshop leaders choose to pursue such an un-forthright path, for many reasons.

Kirk Gittings
24-Mar-2014, 11:54
Absolutely totally wrong ROL. That is rather insulting. Why not ask us first before posting such nonsense? The workshop will be fully permitted and insured-as "official" as it can be.

Dave Wooten
24-Mar-2014, 13:14
Lol:)
That was the point of my above question.
Location, base camp etc. if Death Valley , and one wishes to stay in furnace creek area, those rooms do fill up!
Stove Pipe Wells etc same. Just a suggestion, I've spent a bit of time in DV and the Az Ca deserts, alone and in workshops.
Personally if the itinerary requires a lot up before crack of dawn and driving , I would be hesitant.
What would be nice is being able to shoot and have a good darkroom lab facilities in close proximity.
So a bit more info posted on the forum would be helpful.

P.S. Jan's platinum prints are among the most exquisite I have seen:)

AmandaTom
24-Mar-2014, 15:17
The announcement is somewhat cryptic, I have to agree. But there is a reason. National Parks prohibit direct advertising of specific locations before all paperwork is signed, sealed, and delivered. We would NEVER hold a workshop in a Park or on any other land without first following all the rules, and we would NEVER ask someone with the reputation of Kirk and Jan to participate in such a shady endeavor. While things proceed behind the scenes, we are hoping to generate interest in this unique opportunity. Itineraries have been formulated, and goals set. We will be sharing that information as well. I can tell you that there will be at least one dawn shoot, one dusk shoot, and an opportunity to learn night photography as well. We will also look at individual work.

Kirk Gittings
24-Mar-2014, 15:33
Thanks for that clarification Amanda. I knew that was the reason for the encription, but wasn't sure what we could say publicly.

Laura_Campbell
24-Mar-2014, 15:48
Dave, if you have questions feel free to contact me at my email address (shown above) or PM me. I anticipate there will be early morning photography, but that doesn't mean you have to attend the early morning sessions during the workshop.

Kirk Gittings
16-Jul-2014, 12:42
Well three months later and a lot of red tape conquered by the erstwhile Amanda Tomlin, but we finally got the permits for the Death Valley Workshop. Hope to see some of you there!

bob carnie
16-Jul-2014, 12:51
just fire Dave up with Vindaloo and he is good to go.

Dave, if you have questions feel free to contact me at my email address (shown above) or PM me. I anticipate there will be early morning photography, but that doesn't mean you have to attend the early morning sessions during the workshop.

djdister
16-Jul-2014, 14:22
A great effort and an even greater workshop location! Best of luck.

Laura_Campbell
16-Jul-2014, 19:50
Join us in Death Valley National Park for a photography workshop benefitting the Eastern Sierra Center for Photography. The workshop is open to all photographers working with film or digital cameras.

Info: http://esc4p.org/DV_WS_100dpi.pdf

Instructors: Kirk Gittings, Jan Pietrzak, Laura Campbell, Amanda Tomlin, Bill Waldron

http://esc4p.org/DV_WS_2014_web.png

Kirk Gittings
16-Jul-2014, 19:53
Yeeeee Haaaaawwww! Should be fun.

Dave Wooten
17-Jul-2014, 15:26

Thanks Laura,
I missed your post.
My point was , I was hoping not to have to spend many very early pre dawn hours on the road. Early morning is just the best in DV , as is late evening. Was just hoping all would be in close proximity to camping or lodging area:)

Laura_Campbell
17-Jul-2014, 16:05
Hi Dave,

Base camp will be centrally located at Furnace Creek. Some participants are lodging at the Ranch, some are camping. To answer your question, no, there will not be a lot of pre-dawn hours spent on the road. The locations we're visiting are within the central area of the park. I know Death Valley quite well (as well as its backcountry) having lived and photographed in DV for 18 months. I've led a few meet-ups in the park over the past few years. Being based in Lone Pine, Death Valley continues to be part of my home turf. Hope that helps.

pdmoylan
17-Jul-2014, 16:44
May I suggest that as good business practice you include on the website a short application, waiver form, weather and unforseeable limitations , car rental accommodations, possible air connections, directions to meeting place from different airports, sponsors (f any), services provided, confirmation/posting of licenses, permits and certificates as may be required, etc.

It would also lend more credence to the Easter Sierra Center and its organizing skills.

I don't think this can be something in between an organized, pay-for trip and an informal gathering.

PDM

Laura_Campbell
17-Jul-2014, 16:56
Waiver forms are not permitted by Death Valley National Park. We would put our permit in jeopardy in asking participants to sign waivers. This is certainly not an event that falls in between an organized fee-based workshop, and an informal gathering. I'll put your suggestions out to the group, and perhaps Jan and Kirk will chime in with their thoughts. Thank you!

richardman
17-Jul-2014, 18:53
I am seriously considering joining the fun and games. While I live in the Silicon Valley Bay Area and have been to Lone Pine and Joshua Tree etc., the rest of PDM's post re: info sounds really good to me. I have not been in DV and all I know is that un-careful people die in DV :-/ so as much info is good!

For example, even things like "best practices on film handling in hot desert Sun" would be a good piece of info.

Thanks.

Laura_Campbell
17-Jul-2014, 20:32
The link to our full PDF posted on page 2 of this thread will probably answer many of your questions. In case that link was missed, I'm posting the information below as image files. The full PDF is re-linked at the bottom of this post as well.

According to last year's weather report, temperatures in Death Valley were in the mid 70's to low 80's during the day, and at night mid to low 50's. Weather can vary, so it's challenging to predict weather conditions during the week of our workshop this November.

An application to our workshop isn't necessary. (Our workshop is inclusive, not exclusive) ESC4P is a charitable organization and we welcome all regardless of their skill-level. Participants will receive several handouts prior to the workshop such as our schedule, and what to bring to the workshop. Desert photography poses its own unique challenges. Among the handouts, is one I've used for a few years which addresses film handling, and provides other tips.

We are fully permitted and insured. (One cannot obtain a permit without insurance) Prospective participants may call Death Valley National Park to verify our permit status. The phone number is 760/786-3241. I will not post our permit online for privacy reasons, and to protect our permit number from being misused. A waiver will not be requested, since waivers are against park policy, and conflict with my own personal ethics.

We're grateful to have two highly skilled photographers who are donating their skills, time, and knowledge for this fundraising event. In addition, ESC4P board directors will be attending the workshop. Our goal is to share and learn in a relaxed, meaningful environment. We aim to help our participants take home keepers, and have a lot of fun in the process. The workshop is open to photographers working with film and digital cameras.

If there are any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

The closest airport is Las Vegas.

The link to our PDF: http://esc4p.org/DV_WS_100dpi.pdf

http://esc4p.org/DV_WS_page_1000.png

http://esc4p.org/DV_WS_2014_web.png

bob carnie
18-Jul-2014, 11:55
I would love to attend this Laura(my wife) and I have met Kirk and his work is impeccable , he will be a great leader as well being a teacher of photography I think adds huge credentials > your workshop really looks great.

Our move is in the fall and my lab takes priority as the new location will need to be sorted out.

Good luck with this and I hope it opens up again, when my life is less stressed.

Kirk Gittings
18-Jul-2014, 12:58
Thanks, Bob that means a lot coming from you. I can say the same for Jan, a great teacher with a life time of experience with LF and PT/PL. I'm looking forward to this immensely.

Jan Pietrzak
18-Jul-2014, 17:21
Robert,

Some times you just need to take care of what needs to be taken care of, and your new space is very important. We will miss you, but we will look forward to meeting some place, some time. Both Kirk and I wish you the best on the new space. And I hope to get north of the boarder some day to see it.
All the best Jp

bob carnie
19-Jul-2014, 05:36
Thanks Jan

need your passport , You and Kirk are welcome any time.

Robert,

Some times you just need to take care of what needs to be taken care of, and your new space is very important. We will miss you, but we will look forward to meeting some place, some time. Both Kirk and I wish you the best on the new space. And I hope to get north of the boarder some day to see it.
All the best Jp

rich815
19-Jul-2014, 07:41
This has my interest piqued. While I have a LF set up I might prefer using my Hasselblad or a couple of Rolleiflex TLRs if I came. Is it more a LF group or workshop?

Jim Fitzgerald
19-Jul-2014, 07:54
This is a workshop as I see it.

Jan Pietrzak
19-Jul-2014, 07:55
Rich,

The Workshop is not restricted to LF, we will be dealing with a number of formats from small to large. From color to b/w and digital too. Our goal is to get people working, solving problems, introduce participants to new formats, and most of all is to get some great photographs and have fun. I am not sure what I will be working with/in. I do know that I will be bringing a big camera and some small 6x6/6x12/6x17 to work with.

Jan

Kirk Gittings
19-Jul-2014, 09:59
I will be bringing full 4x5 LF film and FF DSLR kits. I tend to use the former for all my personal work and the later for my commercial work but will go with both this trip as there are very different workflows and benefits of each which may have some instructional value for some.

Laura_Campbell
19-Jul-2014, 15:53
Rich,

The workshop is open to all photographers working with film or digital cameras. I'm bringing an 8x10, a 4x5, and a tiny Canon that I use to make videos. Hope you decide to join us.

gary892
19-Jul-2014, 21:42
I wish I could attend but other commitments prevent me from doing so.

If anyone is on the fence about the quality of the instructors, let me say that Jan Pietrzak is a top notch photographer and teacher.

He is on Freestyle's advisory board, as is Kirk Gittings.

I first met Jan at Freestyle as a mutual friend of David Drake's.

I also met him many times at Per Volquartz Joshua Tree get together.

His work is first class.

You will learn a lot from him no matter what level you are at or what kind of camera you are using.

Gary

Jan Pietrzak
20-Jul-2014, 09:30
Gary,

I really don't know what to say, with an introduction and complements like that. I hope I can live up to them. Kirk, Amanda, Laura, Bill and I are planning for a great trip. We are picking field sessions that will work for the group. We also will have a 'Big Bag' of discussion material along for those down times. Somebody asked about 6x17, I am planning on bringing it along.

Gary,thank you very much
Jan

AmandaTom
21-Jul-2014, 21:18
In my experience, and as Laura will confirm, if you are planning to shoot LF in Death Valley, it behooves you to also bring a smaller camera. There is wind year round and sometimes it is strong enough to preclude work with bigger formats. A smaller camera will keep you working. I will be bringing 8x10, 4x10, and MF. I will also be doing some night shooting for myself and anyone else who is interested.

richardman
21-Jul-2014, 22:19
Hmmm... May be I will also bring the Gaoersi 4x5 then, it's all metal, including the lenscones.

(if I go, that is. Only $$ or lack thereof stands in the way)

Kodachrome25
21-Jul-2014, 23:26
Well...since the ski lifts will not be running yet and there will be no leaves left on the trees....see the attached...:-)

Laura_Campbell
22-Jul-2014, 10:38
Well...since the ski lifts will not be running yet and there will be no leaves left on the trees....see the attached...:-)

Aw! Thank you! Your pic was sweet to wake up to! See you there!

Laura_Campbell
22-Jul-2014, 10:55
Amanda's right about bringing along a smaller camera.

A few other essentials:

1. An umbrella to protect your bellows from wind (also doubles as shade)
2. Payday candy bars (if you aren't allergic to nuts)
3. Powerade, or Emergen-C packets (electrolytes)
4. Compendium shade (If you don't have one, it's easy enough to make one, or browse the bargain bin at KEH. I got mine for $7.)
5. Treat your film holders to Brillianize or another anti-static solution
6. Double bag your holders (zip lock and black film bags) you'll be glad that you did

Eric Biggerstaff
22-Jul-2014, 10:56
Looks great Jan and Kirk, wish I could be there! Have fun.

djdister
22-Jul-2014, 11:25
I would really love to attend this workshop, but I left all my money in Scotland (literally). Hopefully next time around...

Kodachrome25
22-Jul-2014, 12:10
Will definitely be doing preventative dust measures, I already deal with it way more than I would like where I live. My small cam will be a Mamiya 6 w/ the 50, 75 & 150 lenses.

Here is to hoping for interesting weather / clouds!

Laura_Campbell
22-Jul-2014, 12:16
Oh! I forgot to mention: Sharpie the shit out of your holders

Laura_Campbell
22-Jul-2014, 12:17
Will definitely be doing preventative dust measures, I already deal with it way more than I would like where I live. My small cam will be a Mamiya 6 w/ the 50, 75 & 150 lenses.

Here is to hoping for interesting weather / clouds!

Sounds like a plan!

I second that!

Kodachrome25
22-Jul-2014, 12:54
Oh! I forgot to mention: Sharpie the shit out of your holders

?? Tag them like a "Gangsta" or black them out??

Kirk Gittings
22-Jul-2014, 14:33
Looks great Jan and Kirk, wish I could be there! Have fun.

Wish you could come Eric!!!

Laura_Campbell
22-Jul-2014, 16:37
?? Tag them like a "Gangsta" or black them out??

Haha! Either way, jess be thorough.

Hans Berkhout
22-Jul-2014, 17:45
I'll bring my vacuum cleaner.

Erik Larsen
22-Jul-2014, 18:18
Ahh, wish I could attend this! Looks to be a great time and great location and great camaraderie. I know I would enjoy the experience! Have fun folks

Laura_Campbell
22-Jul-2014, 21:47
I'll bring my vacuum cleaner.

Perfect! I'll bring the Absorber magic cloth!

The Absorber cloth is great for applying anti-static, and wiping down holders before sucking the dust out of them. Lint free, and available at your local automotive store. Vacuum exterior, Absorber, anti-static, Sharpie, vacuum interior, bag...!

http://www.garage16.ca/v/vspfiles/photos/42149-2.jpg

Laura_Campbell
22-Jul-2014, 21:48
Ahh, wish I could attend this! Looks to be a great time and great location and great camaraderie. I know I would enjoy the experience! Have fun folks

Thanks Erik! I wish you could join us!

Kodachrome25
22-Jul-2014, 22:46
Perfect! I'll bring the Absorber magic cloth!

The Absorber cloth is great for applying anti-static, and wiping down holders before sucking the dust out of them. Lint free, and available at your local automotive store. Vacuum exterior, Absorber, anti-static, Sharpie, vacuum interior, bag...!

http://www.garage16.ca/v/vspfiles/photos/42149-2.jpg

Damn, I need to get with the program with dust control, that is a lot of layers but better than outsourcing neg for retouching...

Laura_Campbell
23-Jul-2014, 13:35
It's a good system, and once holders are super clean, cleaning 'em the next time is quick and easy. (As long as they are stored in bags)

Brian C. Miller
23-Jul-2014, 14:29
From the PDF:

Spend 3 days with us and we will give some of the basics, spend 6 days with us and we can give more personalized guidance.

There's been a couple of questions that's bugging me. What is the optimum level of participant vs. the instruction?

Beings that I come from a background of creativity, inventiveness, and troubleshooting, and I've been doing LF for a while, I've never felt a personal need for a workshop. I go out, I shoot, I screw up, I figure out the problem.

So what kind of value is there for participants who aren't beginners, and who have a bit of a handle on things?

Kodachrome25
23-Jul-2014, 15:15
Those are always good questions Brian. Specific to this workshop, my main reasons for taking it are:

1. To support the Eastern Sierra Center for Photography as this will be in part, a fund raiser. Also to meet Laura & Amanda, I missed out on that this past May when I was based out of Lone Pine for a week.

2. To engage in tactile dialogue about photography, something I much prefer to experience in person than online. I always learn something new, even as a pro with over 35 years experience. Guys like Kirk and Jan have a lot more experience in using LF than I do, so a great resource for sure.

3. It’s a great place to photograph, the longer you can hang out, the better your chances are in getting interesting light and weather. If this were not a field workshop, I would likely have passed.

4. It’s a perfect time for me to do a road trip, the timing could not be better as I have my biggest block of down time from early October to around Thanksgiving.

I’m self taught, have taught workshops my self and if there is one thing I have learned, it is to get out of town and go hang out with like minded folks once and awhile. Photo camaraderie is kind of rare in person these days so it becomes special when it happens…

Kirk Gittings
23-Jul-2014, 15:18
Yes, I've been at this (LF) since 1978 and Jan has been at it since 1840 (:)) yet when we get together there is much to learn from each other because we took different paths to get where we are today. Even though we are both experienced in LF we use similar materials to to get to different outputs-for Jan that is PT/PL and for me it is traditional silver, inkjet and silver from digital negs.

anglophone1
24-Jul-2014, 12:50
"I’m self taught, have taught workshops my self and if there is one thing I have learned, it is to get out of town and go hang out with like minded folks once and awhile. Photo camaraderie is kind of rare in person these days so it becomes special when it happens…"

You have summed me and my feelings up too- wish I could find time or this event a little closer!

bob carnie
24-Jul-2014, 12:57
Totally agree, I have met some very fine people on workshops or events related to the forums.

Kirk is one, and our time together well lets say what happens in Conneticut stays in Conneticut.

but I treasure all the interesting people I have met here and on APUG.

"I’m self taught, have taught workshops my self and if there is one thing I have learned, it is to get out of town and go hang out with like minded folks once and awhile. Photo camaraderie is kind of rare in person these days so it becomes special when it happens…"

You have summed me and my feelings up too- wish I could find time or this event a little closer!

Kirk Gittings
24-Jul-2014, 14:47
Bob, my lips are sealed.

JimBarbour
26-Jul-2014, 08:04
I'm interested in attending but I'm not yet sure I can clear my calendar. How many spots are left?

Thanks!

Laura_Campbell
26-Jul-2014, 11:02
Hi Jim,

Space is currently available. When you've checked your calendar, touch base with us again. The workshop is going to be a lot fun.

JimBarbour
26-Jul-2014, 11:44
Thanks Laura!

Laura_Campbell
26-Jul-2014, 12:01
You're welcome, Jim! Hope to see you there!

jp
26-Jul-2014, 12:31
How's the temperatures that time of year?

Laura_Campbell
26-Jul-2014, 13:17
How's the temperatures that time of year?

Your question about temperature was answered earlier in the thread. Here's the link to my post: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?112200-Death-Valley-workshop-with-Kirk-Gittings-and-Jan-Pietrzak/page3

Laura_Campbell
3-Aug-2014, 19:50
Just a reminder that deposits are required to reserve a spot for the Death Valley workshop. Seats are limited, so sign up soon!

Kodachrome25
3-Aug-2014, 23:08
Thanks Laura, l'll take care of it tomorrow morning when I get home.

Laura_Campbell
4-Aug-2014, 09:43
Sounds good! I look forward to meeting you in November!

Kirk Gittings
4-Aug-2014, 10:04
Sounds good! I look forward to meeting you in November!

ditto!

Kodachrome25
7-Aug-2014, 20:11
Be a photo-nomad, not a photo-gonad and come on out to DV and expose....things....

) that was a plug (

Kirk Gittings
7-Aug-2014, 20:43
You are a poet!

polyglot
8-Aug-2014, 00:47
Why is it that you must be on the other side of the world?

Kirk Gittings
8-Aug-2014, 07:47
AAMOF, I think we have one person coming from Australia already!

Drew Wiley
8-Aug-2014, 08:34
Nov is a wonderful month in that area. Things will have significantly cooled down, and you don't get the dusty winds like in Spring. Plus some of the side roads above
Hwy 395 in the nearby Sierra are still open. The light gets angular and low. Have a great time!

Kirk Gittings
26-Aug-2014, 12:16
Good responce so far. This is shaping up to be great trip with some fascinating people signed up, including some amazing photographers. We do have some slots left.

bob carnie
26-Aug-2014, 12:19
Once again I hope you do this again next year, up to my ears with this move but this sounds like a great one.

Kirk Gittings
26-Aug-2014, 12:22
Don't know about next year Bob. I think it will have some legs but who knows. We would love to have you.

Vaughn
26-Aug-2014, 12:31
Why is it that you must be on the other side of the world?

Though why an Aussie would be impressed with Death Valley is beyond me. Oz is Death Country! ;)

November would be great, but I'll have to wait until February more than likely. I still have 11x14 and 8x10 negs (and some 120) to develop from my last Death Valley trip

bob carnie
26-Aug-2014, 12:41
I would come for the fun, my wife is the rocks , trees, nature freak in our family, I just would love to see the countryside and kick back while she works with you folks.
Give me an excuse for a road trip and the dogs would love it.

see you next year.

Don't know about next year Bob. I think it will have some legs but who knows. We would love to have you.

Kodachrome25
27-Aug-2014, 16:27
Good responce so far. This is shaping up to be great trip with some fascinating people signed up, including some amazing photographers. We do have some slots left.

Indeed, a good group coming together, been following the emails as I wrap up a busy season.

I just want to remind folks too that this is also a form of fund raiser for the Eastern Sierra Center for Photography, a group of folks that are really trying to raise the bar in an incredible crossroads of Earth, sky and geologic time.

A great photography workshop is a dynamic creative consensus of instructors and participants, I have no doubt this will be a memorable one...

Kirk Gittings
1-Sep-2014, 14:20
Looks like we have just 1 3-day slot left.

Jan Pietrzak
1-Sep-2014, 15:36
This makes me feel really good, for a number of reasons. 1. it helps esc4p, 2. It helps Laura a very, very hard working Lady (yes with a capital 'L') Amanda with the red pencil, and Bill W who works very hard at keeping a good balance. I speak for my self, (but Kirk will chime in, I am sure) this has been a labor of love to get this workshop going. We all look forward to a great time in Death Valley. And I look forward to esc4p to do lots more events in the future.

Jp

Kirk Gittings
1-Sep-2014, 15:42
big dittos. :)

Laura_Campbell
1-Sep-2014, 16:36
ESC4P will likely renew its permit in Death Valley National Park next season. There's discussion about holding workshops in 2015 in the Eastern Sierra as well, and I imagine we will offer a workshop in Lone Pine, California.

Here's where we stand this November:

There's one slot left in our November workshop in Death Valley National Park. The open slot is during Workshop #2 Nov 14-16 ($375). We're nearing a full boat, and this last slot will fill quickly so sign up soon! Instructors: Kirk Gittings, Jan Pietrzak, Laura Campbell, Amanda Tomlin, Bill Waldron
Please see our PDF for more information: http://esc4p.org/DV_WS_100dpi.pdf
A huge thank you to Jan and Kirk for donating their time and skills, and helping us organize the event.

Christopher Barrett
1-Sep-2014, 17:08
What are your favorite emulsions for the area? I'm thinking about FP4+ for my soon to be acquired 4x10 and Rollei 25 for the 'Blad.

Jan Pietrzak
1-Sep-2014, 17:23
Christopher,

My film of choice for more than I want to remember is Tri-X all-a-round. Yes I have used some other films but I keep going back to Tri-X. We can talk about this out in Death Valley. I am so looking forward to meeting the participants coming to the workshop. To quote some one from 'Animal House' this is going to be so much fun.

Jp

Kirk Gittings
1-Sep-2014, 17:31
I used Tri-x in HC-110 for a zillion years but ultimately wanted finer grain. I now use FP4+ and Pyrocat HD in Glycol for 98% of my work.

Christopher Barrett
1-Sep-2014, 17:34
I do love Tri-X, it has such an organic grain, so much nicer than the T-Max films. For some reason lately, I'm kinda stuck on fine grain emulsions...

Vaughn
1-Sep-2014, 18:02
For enlarging I loved using TMax100 in 4x5 (see first image, 20 Muleteam Canyon, DV, 1989) -- but with its UV blocking layer, it is not a film for most alt. processes. With the 4x10 or larger, grain becomes less of an issue...definitely not an issue with most contact printing...so FP4+ (second image, Palm, DV, 2011, platinum) is my usual go-to film. If you do not need to expand the contrast much in development, then HP5+ is handy -- sometimes the extra stop or so is nice if the wind is playing with your bellows. But I like to expand the contrast range beyond HP5+'s capability, so tend to not use it.

20 mule Team canyon -- f22 at 1/30 w/ yellow filter.
The palm image was exposed at f16 at 1/125 sec''...I left off the yellow filter for an extra stop down in speed (and don't miss it at all). Still had to time it between gusts of wind. Tri-X would have given me f22 at 1/250, which would have been nice, but actually that hint of movement in the upper leaves helps to keep the image from being too static.

I do have some 8x10 Tri-X that I save for those special occasions. Good for just about anything that ails you.

Have a ton of fun!
PS...just noticed that the two images, taken over 20 years apart, basically have the same exposure. Why take a meter -- the sunny 16 rule seems to work well in Death Valley! (the shadows under the palm were down to 3 stops darker than the open shadows of the 20 Mule Team, but that fit right in with the differences in negative needs and processes used to make the prints). Both negatives received extra development.

Laura_Campbell
1-Sep-2014, 18:44
We all have our favorites. I use FP4+ and PyrocatHD-Glycol.

Here's an example (FP4+ in PyrocatHD). Wehman 8x10, Goerz 480. This is on a ridge in Twenty Mule Team Canyon, Death Valley.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8343/8246973093_82fd14f754_o.jpg

Vaughn
1-Sep-2014, 18:54
Wonderful image, Laura. Love the higher contrast in the front and the soft light of looking north

Jim Fitzgerald
1-Sep-2014, 19:09
For me it was always Efke 25 in 810, 1114 and 820. In Pyrocat HD minimal agitation for the 810 and trays for the rest. No grain and great sharpness. My freezer has some stock. For the 1417 it has been Bergger 200 and J&C 200. Old stock but still good! I think FP-4+ is a great film and the one I'll go to when I run out of my stock. Have fun everyone!

Laura_Campbell
1-Sep-2014, 19:44
Wonderful image, Laura. Love the higher contrast in the front and the soft light of looking north

Thanks Vaughn. That was the cloudy, windy week (cameras down) a couple of years ago. Great lighting all week, but I'm used to the weather coming and going there, and it just didn't leave that week. I waited four hours for that shot. Nice views up there.

Me: Does it look like it's getting brighter?
Amanda: The sun ain't never comin' out.
Me: Crappers.
Amanda: Maybe it's getting a little brighter now.
Me: What are you doing?
Amanda: Drawing on my pants.

Laura_Campbell
1-Sep-2014, 19:47
For me it was always Efke 25 in 810, 1114 and 820. In Pyrocat HD minimal agitation for the 810 and trays for the rest. No grain and great sharpness. My freezer has some stock. For the 1417 it has been Bergger 200 and J&C 200. Old stock but still good! I think FP-4+ is a great film and the one I'll go to when I run out of my stock. Have fun everyone!

Thanks Jim! :-)

StoneNYC
1-Sep-2014, 19:58
Thanks Vaughn. That was the cloudy, windy week (cameras down) a couple of years ago. Great lighting all week, but I'm used to the weather coming and going there, and it just didn't leave that week. I waited four hours for that shot. Nice views up there.

So this is what Dan was telling me about? Maybe I SHOULD skip school and fly out there for this... Lol

Vaughn
1-Sep-2014, 20:23

Climate is what you got,
Weather is what you get.
Waiting is.

I like photoing solo. Such conversations will remain unrecorded...I know I am nuts, but I am not crazy.

Jim Fitzgerald
1-Sep-2014, 20:39
So this is what Dan was telling me about? Maybe I SHOULD skip school and fly out there for this... Lol

Yes a good idea! Especially fun around the campfire heh Laura! :-) We're all a bit nuts.

Christopher Barrett
2-Sep-2014, 10:52
We're all a bit nuts.

Thank God.

ps. Backpack recommendations for a 4x10 plus accessories?

Vaughn
2-Sep-2014, 11:32
Thank God.

ps. Backpack recommendations for a 4x10 plus accessories?

I prefer travel packs w/ front opening rather than top-loading:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?115342-Hybrid-Canoe-Pack-for-8x10&p=1157923&viewfull=1#post1157923

Kirk Gittings
2-Sep-2014, 11:35
Get ahold of Photobackpacker before the inventory is gone!!!!!! The owner is retiring AND SHUTTING DOWN!!!!!

https://www.photobackpacker.com/home.php

Jim Fitzgerald
2-Sep-2014, 13:19
Or find a big MEI backpack. No padding and you can customize it. Check out the -bay for one. I love them.

Jan Pietrzak
2-Sep-2014, 14:20
Christopher,

My first BP for big cameras was a top load Kelty (and it was Red) it worked for my Cambo. The rest of my BPs have been JanSports (go figure). My last packs are Eddie Bauer for the plastic cameras and a Kelty for the 6x17. The Big thing is to take your gear into the shop and see how it fits. That has always worked for me. When you get DV you will see what I mean.

Jp

Kirk Gittings
2-Sep-2014, 14:45
Chris here is my current kit with the older Kelty pack PBP sold (newer is a better BP and maybe larger?). PBP Camera case divided up with 4x5 Phillips, and two lenses+3 lenses in Gnass lens case (PBP has equivalent), Gnass cascade film holder case (PBP has equivalent), light meter, loupe, Readyloads and holder, filters etc. On outer flap a Camelback water bladder fits. For my DSLR kit I have another full insert by PBP that fits right in-takes seconds to change out.

StoneNYC
2-Sep-2014, 21:25
Chris here is my current kit with the older Kelty pack PBP sold (newer is a better BP and maybe larger?). PBP Camera case divided up with 4x5 Phillips, and two lenses+3 lenses in Gnass lens case (PBP has equivalent), Gnass cascade film holder case (PBP has equivalent), light meter, loupe, Readyloads and holder, filters etc. On outer flap a Camelback water bladder fits. For my DSLR kit I have another full insert by PBP that fits right in-takes seconds to change out.

I count 7 lenses and 3 film holders... What??? Lol!!!

It must be the tiny phone screen.

anglophone1
3-Sep-2014, 13:50
Need Something like this in Europe...................
Anybody?
C

Kirk Gittings
13-Sep-2014, 21:44
I count 7 lenses and 3 film holders... What??? Lol!!!

It must be the tiny phone screen.

5 lenses, plus film holders plus readyloads and holder.

anglophone1
22-Sep-2014, 15:21
Need Something like this in Europe...................
Anybody?
C
Anybody?
I 'm not the only European in the market for this sort of event...................... am I ??
C

Vaughn
22-Sep-2014, 19:35
Europe may have a "Valley of Death" but certainly no Death Valley!

You should check out photo workshops in Iceland...that would be cool!

Pricey, but worth it: http://www.northlightworkshops.com/ They have a winter trip planned.