PDA

View Full Version : Harrison & Harrison Filters – Diffusion filter set

ScottPhotoCo
18-Mar-2014, 16:04
I picked up a full set of Harrison & Harrison diffusion filters (D1-D5) on ebay for less than $50 to experiment with. They came with a Lindahl Specialties shade/holder and measure approximately 2 5/8 x 2 5/8 of usable filter surface. I believe that these were most often used in motion picture work. Since I picked them up so cheap I figured I had nothing to lose to try them out. There are times when I want to try a little more pictorial ideas or just to soften the sharpness of a lens every once in a while without breaking out the huge 16" Kodak Portrait lens so I thought that this might be interesting. The holder actually fits perfectly in front of my 12" Dagor.

Have any of you shot with these? What was your experience with them?

Mark Woods
18-Mar-2014, 16:38
What type of diffusion are they? Are they foggy, textured glass, some other configuration?

ScottPhotoCo
21-Mar-2014, 00:19
Hi Mark! I'm honestly not 100% sure. I believe (guessing) that it's some kind of textured diffusion of varying levels. Number one is quite subtle and number 5 is like London on a foggy night. I'll need to experiment a bit to see. Have you ever shot with anything like this?

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Steven Tribe
21-Mar-2014, 02:05
I have seen these on offer a few times and did some research. They seemed like a well thought out professional set.

By the way, reference to "London" fog is a bit passé these days! Perhaps China or Paris instead. Now, the 1950's London Smog was unbelievable - caused by domestic open coal fires - you could get lost 10 yards from the front door.

brucetaylor
21-Mar-2014, 09:06
I picked up a set of these a few years ago, 138mm round. I bought them more for the beautiful box they came in to use with other filters. Mine look like they're from the 60's. I've never used them as even the lightest of them looks like pretty heavy diffusion by today's standards. Maybe I'll pull them out this weekend and experiment!

Mark Woods
21-Mar-2014, 09:55
I own a set. They were very popular in the '60s in commercials. They lift the black level and depending on the filters, they may have a bit of texture on the glass. What you see is laminated between 2 pieces of glass. If they delaminate, you can put them in hot water and the coating will become gel & will become one again. They don't give you the same effect as a portrait lens. What the cameramen did in early films was to put a net over the front of the lens (in the matte box) and burn a hold through it (with their cigarette) where the actors face was located. I used to have a set of those, but donated them to the American Society of Cinematographers.

brucetaylor
21-Mar-2014, 17:43
What the cameramen did in early films was to put a net over the front of the lens (in the matte box) and burn a hold through it (with their cigarette) where the actors face was located.

I love those old DP "secrets." A stocking net over the rear of the lens was another one I have yet to try. I think the overall diffusion/fog thing went over the top in the '70s and thankfully went out of style!

Mark Woods
21-Mar-2014, 18:16
I used Fogal stockings on all the commercials I shot for about 2 years. You have to be careful and know the limitations. Wide lenses can see the net in front of the lens, long lenses can see the net BTL (with a deep stop). Pretty cool. I've done both and am familiar with the results.

ScottPhotoCo
30-Mar-2014, 23:05
Mark,

Any suggestions as to the best way to use the H&H filters with LF?

Tim

Mark Woods
31-Mar-2014, 08:19
Hello Tim, I'd put them on the lens and shoot some shots. They probably will be most noticeable when there is a source in the shot, or a bright highlight. They tend to flare the bright highlights and slightly degrade the blacks. If you want to keep your blacks, increase your EI by 1/3 stop.

I hope this helps.

ScottPhotoCo
31-Mar-2014, 08:25
Thanks Mark! This is a helpful starting point for sure.

Tim

Mark Woods
31-Mar-2014, 09:37
You're welcome. Keep up posted & enjoy your shooting!

Hank Harrison
22-Jun-2014, 12:02
Hello! I am Hartley Harrison, and believe it or not, I am alive and well, and living in Mesa Az. I am 81 years old, and still can answer most questions you might have about ANY of our filters, manufactured from 1929-2008.

ScottPhotoCo
23-Jun-2014, 09:16
Hello! I am Hartley Harrison, and believe it or not, I am alive and well, and living in Mesa Az. I am 81 years old, and still can answer most questions you might have about ANY of our filters, manufactured from 1929-2008.

Hello Mr. Harrison! Welcome to the LFPF!

I am really just beginning my experimentation with these filters on large format film. I would love to know more about the development of these filters and their original intended use. It's great to have such knowledge available here!

Thanks in advance for sharing your time and knowledge.

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Hank Harrison
24-Jun-2014, 00:44
Hi Tim!
First, let's establish what you have. Are they the set of D-1 through D-5? If so, what size are they, and are they a "frosted"look, or more smoky with black dots?
What specific info are you looking for
on these? Their history?How they originated? What they are used for?
I am happy to answer your questions, and if you are truly interested, I believe I have the original ads that go with a set of Diffusion filters.
Please let me know specifically what you would like to know, and I will provide all the information you are looking for.
Best wishes,
Hank

Jon Shiu
24-Jun-2014, 07:29
Interesting, I picked up a set in Porterville, CA years ago. Good for portraits.

Jon

Hank Harrison
24-Jun-2014, 08:55
Hi Jon,
You are correct in that you bought a set in Porterville. After my father and the founder of Harrison & Harrison passed away, I moved the buisness out of Hollywood and to Porterville in the early eighties.

ScottPhotoCo
24-Jun-2014, 13:36
Mr. Harrison,

Thank you again for taking the time to share your knowledge and expertise!

The filters that I have are labeled "LS Lindahl Specialities, Inc." With the individual filters being labeled D1-D5. They came in a wood box with a shade/holder and also by Lindahl.

I was told when I was researching these that they were originally created for motion picture work but I am re-appropriating them for large format film work. They are not that large so I can use them on few of my LF lenses but I have been experimenting a bit with them in front of my 1920's 300mm Dagor with interesting results.

I would love to know what these were originally created for and if you have recommendations for ways to best show their strengths based on your knowledge and expertise.

Thanks again, it's great to have you here!

Tim Scott
www.ScottPhoto.co

Hank Harrison
25-Jun-2014, 07:40
Hi Tim,
Diffusion filters originated in the 1930's. Originally, they were created to take the harshness that film and lense created out of the picture and soften it back to what the naked eye sees.
The camera picks up everything, and
especially when filming close ups in the movies, it would pick up flaws on
the faces of the actors. The industry
needed a way to "hide" the flaws, and
out of that need, diffusion filters were
created. Interesting fact: you have a
basic set D-1 to D-5, Katherine
Hepburn demanded to be shot with D-
10!
These filters have been used from portraits to landscape to dream sequences. It all depends on the creativity of the photographer.
Your particular set, was made for Lindahl Specialties, probably in the eighties. If I remember correctly, they are a 3-1/2 inch square. We at the time did not make a filter in that size,so all of the lindahl filters were made specifically for that company.
I would like to also address the issue of the glare that was a problem for years concerning these filters. We fought with how to correct this problem for years. The solution was a new Diffusion filter. The Black Dot Diffusion Filter. We finally solved the problem. And, if I may pound my own chest for a minute, Harrison &Harrison received a Scientific Technical Acheivement Acadamy Award for this diffusion filter.
I hope I have answered some of your questions, and as I remember other facts, I will post them for you. I apologize but my memory is a little fuzzy, so I take longer to remember than most people.

Regards,
Hank

Jac@stafford.net
25-Jun-2014, 08:21
It is wonderful that you are here, Hank.

I gather that the Black Dot Diffusion Filter is more than just glass with (apparently) random dots. Any tips to using them, such as how far from the lens they should be with a normal focal length lens?

Interesting fact: you have a basic set D-1 to D-5, Katherine Hepburn demanded to be shot with D-10!

Can the filters be stacked?

Hank Harrison
25-Jun-2014, 11:42
The filter should be within the nodal point of the lense, anything outside of that, and the camera will focus on the dots on the filter, and not the subject. And as for stacking the filters, I would not recommend it.

Jac@stafford.net
25-Jun-2014, 13:48
The filter should be within the nodal point of the lense, anything outside of that, and the camera will focus on the dots on the filter, and not the subject. And as for stacking the filters, I would not recommend it.

It seems that using a telephoto lens would be ideal for use with a Black-Dot filter because the nodal point is in front of the lens. Well, one more filter set to get!

Thanks for the information.

Peterfconn
8-Mar-2015, 09:43
What type of diffusion are they? Are they foggy, textured glass, some other configuration?

Mark,
My 14 yr old son who btw w all his saved gifts is buying a nikon d810 w/ 70-200 f4 and 17-35 f2.8. Hmm not bad. Anyway he was asking me about filters and I said I used to like my Harrison diffusion filters. A quick search and your name came up. Hope you are doing good. Been many lifetimes since Homer days. I live in NYC.
Peter Conn

Mark Woods
8-Mar-2015, 14:49
Hello Peter,

How are you doing? Good to hear from you. Your Homer was quite an achievement. I still remember the Jeff Beck soundtrack you used with the slides & the images. I'm sure you've moved way beyond that. In the early 80's I'd occasionally see your name associated with VFX. I hope all is well. I'm pretty much out of the business now and shooting LF and doing some mentoring of students.

All the best,

Mark

Badbroccoli
5-Jan-2019, 07:40

How cool is it to hear from one of the owners of Harrison and Harrison on here. I hope you still get on the forum here. I have a D-1 and an Rf-1 filter myself and loved using them until it looks like the D-1 separated and got a little bit of delamination to it. I am going to try the heating it up trick and see if it fixes itself.