PDA

View Full Version : Looking for host in Russia

WootSK
17-Mar-2014, 01:02
Hi all,

I will be making a trip down to Russia this Nov. I will be travelling down via train from Beijing to Moscow. I am wondering if there is anyone able to bring us around with meal and accommodation. We are definitely willing to pay.
Alternatively, we will be looking for places to stay for backpacker, but a guide to bring us around especially for photo-shooting spots will be great. :)

Regards,
SK Low

chuck461
17-Mar-2014, 04:30
I remember this thread. Maybe he is still willing. I don't know him past this forum.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?96161-I-invite-to-Russia&highlight=invite+russia

Steven Tribe
17-Mar-2014, 05:42
Everyone I know who has done this long, slow train trip has wished they hadn't commited to so many days in limbo! It is fun for a day or so, then gets very tedious - perhaps even more so in Winter. Internal flights used to be quite reasonably priced and the safety of Aeroflot and their competitors have improved a lot. There are some more interesting sections of this line which pass cities with onward flights.

This is not a political forum, but the scenario for 2014 in this part of the world is not the best seen from Europe!

WootSK
17-Mar-2014, 07:36
I remember this thread. Maybe he is still willing. I don't know him past this forum.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?96161-I-invite-to-Russia&highlight=invite+russia

Thanks, I tried contacting. But there is no response after sometime.

WootSK
17-Mar-2014, 07:37
Everyone I know who has done this long, slow train trip has wished they hadn't commited to so many days in limbo! It is fun for a day or so, then gets very tedious - perhaps even more so in Winter. Internal flights used to be quite reasonably priced and the safety of Aeroflot and their competitors have improved a lot. There are some more interesting sections of this line which pass cities with onward flights.

This is not a political forum, but the scenario for 2014 in this part of the world is not the best seen from Europe!

It is actually more for the experience of travelling. Hoping to get a similar interesting host here rather than engaging a guide.

StoneNYC
17-Mar-2014, 07:40
Thanks, I tried contacting. But there is no response after sometime.

He's very nice, we emailed for a while, and then I got busy, I'm sure eventually he will reply and then you won't be able to get rid of him, he loves to chat :) nice guy.

SergeiR
17-Mar-2014, 13:55
Everyone I know who has done this long, slow train trip has wished they hadn't commited to so many days in limbo! !

Yes. It… well.. sucks. Even on fast one it takes a while and .. its not worth it at all. And oddly cost nearly as much as just doing plane.

WootSK
21-Mar-2014, 02:06
He's very nice, we emailed for a while, and then I got busy, I'm sure eventually he will reply and then you won't be able to get rid of him, he loves to chat :) nice guy.

Haha, it will be good if he doesn't mind you PM me his email contact?

StoneNYC
21-Mar-2014, 06:05
Haha, it will be good if he doesn't mind you PM me his email contact?

I won't give it out, not to be rude it's just a philosophy I have but I know his email is the same for the forum so IF he is checking it he would be getting the messages.

I hope he's ok, I don't recall what it was and it's been a long time so, not sure I could even find it at this point.

DrTang
21-Mar-2014, 08:13
I heard the Crimea is nice

Jim Andrada
21-Mar-2014, 08:22
Particularly the Russian cruise (missile) ships operating out of Sevastopol.

(Totally OT, but my wife once took a Russian cruise to the Philippines from Japan. Very "interesting". When she got seasick they "fixed" it by pouring vodka down her throat.)