PDA

View Full Version : Will any of the Hasselblad lenses cover 4x5?

Drew Bedo
16-Mar-2014, 08:32
Will any of the Hasselblad lenses cover 4x5 at infinity? I mean without movement of course.

I have heard it said that some of the older Hektors can. I have heard it said that some of the medium format lenses will too.

Anybody?

Leigh
16-Mar-2014, 08:39
The MTF curves that I've seen drop to zero just beyond the diagonal of 6x6 (maybe 6x7) film.

Those can be downloaded, and should be considered definitive as regards coverage.

- Leigh

David Lobato
16-Mar-2014, 08:57
With the leaf shutter and baffles inside the barrel to prevent flare, it's not likely coverage beyond 6X6 is available.

Oren Grad
16-Mar-2014, 09:35
There is coverage beyond 6x6, or the FlexBody would have made no sense. But the V-series lenses up to 120mm run out of steam, even stopped down to f/16, within the +/- 15mm range of the FlexBody, so nothing close to 4x5. It's hard to tell for sure about some of the longer ones when looking at the published MTFs. The 180 CFE, for example...

http://www.zeissimages.com/mtf/cfi/CFE180.pdf

...looks well-behaved across the 6x6 field and well beyond at f/8, and there's no way to know from that data sheet how much more those curves would flatten out and how much further they'd extend if you stopped down further, nor where mechanical vignetting would kick in.

Jac@stafford.net
16-Mar-2014, 09:47
The MTF curves that I've seen drop to zero just beyond the diagonal of 6x6 (maybe 6x7) film.

The Biogon has a sharp mechanical cut-off, so that makes sense.

The OP might be happier with a 47mm Super Angulon (even the earlier F5.6 version will cover nominal 4x5) or if taking the extreme, a 35mm Grandagon (covers ~3"x4"). I recommend a centre filter for each, and shoot at F/22. Each of these lenses can mount on the Sinar Handy which is little more than two standards, a focusing helix and tripod mount, with appropriate board.

Here is a 4x5 with the Super Angulon mentioned above.

Bernice Loui
16-Mar-2014, 09:56
No, been there done this. The 135mm f5.6 Macro Planar will cover 4x5 at Macro-near 1:1 image ratios and it does make a pretty fine macro lens... but no better than a macro lens specifically designed for sheet film or a reverse mounted enlarging lens.

Question would be why use a Hasselblad lens on 4x5?

Been a Hasselblad owner/user for many, many years and have owned or used most every lens they offered except the 250mm Super Acromat and 105mm UV Sonar. Their optics are good, but only a few are exceptional (100mm Planar, 38mm Biogon, maybe the 50mm f2.8 distagon). There are LF offerings that are equal or better than the Hasselblad Zeiss offerings for 2x3_6x9 and larger sheet film.

Bernice

Will any of the Hasselblad lenses cover 4x5 at infinity? I mean without movement of course.

I have heard it said that some of the older Hektors can. I have heard it said that some of the medium format lenses will too.

Anybody?

Drew Bedo
16-Mar-2014, 10:33
Thanks to everyone who jumped in with hard information.

Please see my last post on this subject in the DIY forum.