PDA

View Full Version : agitation and developer

Raven Garrow
17-Oct-1999, 16:49
I mixed the entire content of developer, so I have a stock solution. When I proc ess my film, I have to run warm/hot water over the container to bring the temp u p. Agitation asures that the solution is mixed to an even temp. Does the agitati on weaken the developer? Thanks, Raven

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
17-Oct-1999, 17:02
How are you agitating? Aeration should be avoided if possible, as it promotes oxidation. Eschew the James Bond cliche' and use a paint stirrer attached to your slow speed electric drill, or a runcible spoon or the Kodak stirring rod, or a glass stirring rod available from chemistry catalogs.

Alan Gibson
17-Oct-1999, 19:10
Assuming your stock solution needs further dilution to make the working solution, just add water of the appropriate temperature.

If all the stock solution is going to be used, I wouldn't worry about aeration increasing the oxidation rate. Maybe I'm not picky enough, but I don't think it will oxidise much in 20 minutes or whatever.

If you won't use all the stock solution, you could just pour out whatever amount you will use.

Raven Garrow
17-Oct-1999, 22:12
I use the accordian containers, Air-Evac? So, the container is always filled with liquid, no air. When bringing the temp up, I run warm/hot water over the container, I shake it, check temp., and I do this till temp is where I want it. Raven

Raven Garrow
17-Oct-1999, 22:17
The stock solution does not have to be diluted anymore than is. I took the whole bottle of developer and mixed with apropriate amount of water, which made one gallon. I don't know how long this will take to use, depending on how much I will be shooting, but I can look to the Kodak darkroom book to know how long this solution will last. I did this because it was just easier for me, than to mix 1:4. Thanks, Raven