PDA

View Full Version : Antique lens for 11 x 14

norm the storm
13-Mar-2014, 07:45
Hi

I want to know where I can get data for antique lens like Petzval, Berthiot etc: image circle, optic construction etc.
I'm looking for a portrait lens around 600 mm.

Thank you

Norm

Wayne Aho
13-Mar-2014, 09:50
This is a great starting link:

http://antiquecameras.net/home.html

or, purchase the lens guide from the same site.

http://antiquecameras.net/lensvademecum.html

Wayne

Jim Galli
13-Mar-2014, 10:42
First, do the math. An f3.8 lens of 600mm focus. 3.8 into 600 = over 6" of glass. Wrap a bunch of heavy brass around that and you've got a 9 inch flange and a lens that weighs 38 pounds. Not many were made! A few, and they are some of the most expensive things for cameras ever made.

evan clarke
13-Mar-2014, 12:24
I have a 24" Emil Busch Rapid Aplanat, it's f8 and a chore just to carry around.

Tin Can
13-Mar-2014, 13:04
But a handy trivet in the kitchen.

Nice lens!

I have a 24" Emil Busch Rapid Aplanat, it's f8 and a chore just to carry around.

evan clarke
13-Mar-2014, 14:44
But a handy trivet in the kitchen.

Nice lens!

It's a whopper..Should actually cover 20x24, stopped down. I need to make or have made a larger front standard for my 11x14. The flange is quite a bit bigger than a Sinar board. Randy, you should join us for a MWLFA outing..It's quite pleasing. We have one this weekend, we will meet at the Denny's on rt 31 off 88 at 7:00 and go west on rt 30 and Chicago road. It'd be nice to meet you..Cheers, Evan Clarke

Tin Can
13-Mar-2014, 15:00
I would love to meet up, but I no longer own a car. I don't really need one. I rent one once a month for 24 hours, but that was Monday...

Perhaps I will be able to coordinate your meetups with my car renting schedule, this summer.

If you can, let me know the schedule.

Thanks!

It's a whopper..Should actually cover 20x24, stopped down. I need to make or have made a larger front standard for my 11x14. The flange is quite a bit bigger than a Sinar board. Randy, you should join us for a MWLFA outing..It's quite pleasing. We have one this weekend, we will meet at the Denny's on rt 31 off 88 at 7:00 and go west on rt 30 and Chicago road. It'd be nice to meet you..Cheers, Evan Clarke

8x10 user
13-Mar-2014, 15:15
Hi Evan,

I will like to check out one of those MWLFA outings at somepoint... Do I need to bring a camera? I still need to do some mounting and get film for my new 5x7 field kit. It's going to be a fun little set up and I know you will appreciate the glass... We seem to have similar tastes.

The 24" RR would be a nice lens for portraiture with a smooth but pleasing bokeh that is free of field curvature and related bokeh distortions... So it is more like an Cooke Anastigmat then a petzval lens. F/8 is right where many prefer for portraiture. A more rapid lens would be much larger, heavier, and possibly extremely expensive.

evan clarke
13-Mar-2014, 15:23
Just show up don't need to bring a cam..we just hang and make pictures if they're there..A little breakfast..a little lunch..roam around and look at things..be great if you would join us.