PDA

View Full Version : B&L Protar series VII combination with series V?

Maynaard
12-Mar-2014, 16:45
I note in the Vade that in 1937 the "F"-set was available with " 4 series v11components and also a Series V lens to extend it to real wide ange work, all fitting the same flange".

The catalogues available via Cameraeccentric.com do not include 1937.

As I would like to put together an F set with extreme wide angle capability, can anyone advise if the Series V 27.5" E.F. Lenses on page 14 of the 1960, and the 1941 Catalogue, are available, and if so are they the same as any of the Series V f: 18 lenses?

Jim Galli
12-Mar-2014, 18:47
I note in the Vade that in 1937 the "F"-set was available with " 4 series v11components and also a Series V lens to extend it to real wide ange work, all fitting the same flange".

The catalogues available via Cameraeccentric.com do not include 1937.

As I would like to put together an F set with extreme wide angle capability, can anyone advise if the Series V 27.5" E.F. Lenses on page 14 of the 1960, and the 1941 Catalogue, are available, and if so are they the same as any of the Series V f: 18 lenses?

Most f18 Series V lenses are pretty tiny. One large enough to use the same barrel as the larger F sets would for one thing be spaced too far apart and another, probably cover 30X40 and be worth a gazillion dollars in China. Perhaps there was an 'F' set that included a logical Series V lens complete in it's barrel?

Obviously I don't have the answer you're looking for but fear you've got apples and oranges confused. Maybe some of the scholars will set us aright.

Geoffrey_5995
12-Mar-2014, 20:11
I could not find your reference in the Vade. Perhaps you can quote it here. From what you indicate the Vade says, it sounds like the series V lens fits into the same flange as the series VII set so that you would have a series VIIa set with 4 components and then a series V that would fit into the same flange for wide angle work. All these components were probably provided with it's own casket case but the series V is a stand alone lens that would not be fitted into the series VII barrel. This is my guess. In the 1941 catalog the "F" Set is described as a series VII with a additional series V that is probably 181mm in focal length and there is a picture of the lens as part of the kit. It looks like it comes with a reducing flange so it can fit into the flange provided for the series VIIa set. I don't see where the series V is referred to as having a focal length of 27.5". As the "F" set is described as for 8x10, it would not be provided with a series V lens of 27.5" as that lens would cover 16x18 and more when stopped down. Hope this helps.

Maynaard
12-Mar-2014, 20:33
Thanks Jim and Geoffrey

The Vade quote comes from the B&L entry under the heading Double Protar VII and a sub heading "F" set which I included in quotations in my original.

Re the 27.5", I was wondering if that was the same as the Series V. From Geoffrey's comment about the F set illustration showing probably a 181mm Series V, and his noticing that it seems to have a reducing flange, that point seems clarified.

That may suggest that the Habote, No 5, 8x10, 7 3/16ths, Series 5 lens may be the one I seek.

Thanks again gentlemen
John

Geoffrey_5995
12-Mar-2014, 21:25
Glad I could help.

Maynaard
13-Mar-2014, 03:29
I don't think that this is the end for me!
Has anyone an idea about where the 181mm series V might fit in the setup?
I am guessing hat the photo of the F set, in the catalogues, has the little lens in the bottom row, as the series 5, and the adapter ring nearby is the way to include the lens, but where?
Can it be used only with individual components, or with the Series VII sets?
Thanks in anticipation

John