PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand / Otago area

lumi
11-Mar-2014, 07:34
Hi all and a special hi to New Zealand large format photographers.

I'm going to spend some time in Otago between 11th of April and 1st of May. I'm bringing an 8x10 and b/w film and I'm researching interesting landscape scenery both by the ocean and inland. Shore landscapes are of interest and also rain forests and mountains and rivers. It would also be nice to meet other photographers. We are going to be based in Dunedin where my daughter is an exchange student this semester.

I would be very grateful for all advice from members of this forum.

Sverre Aurstad
Oslo, Norway

mdm
11-Mar-2014, 13:34
Magic time of year, enjoy. I live about 3 hours drive away on the way to Milford Sound if you happen to be going there. Coast north and south of dunedin are all good, just go for a drive. Inland is good too. try and get down some rural gravel roads far from the main tourist traps.

ecoleica
11-Mar-2014, 14:28
Hi Sverre, I am based in Dunedin and it would be great to meet you!

DavidFisk
11-Mar-2014, 20:11
I would definitely take the long way through the Catlins and do the waterfalls, especially Purukaunui.

Hi all and a special hi to New Zealand large format photographers.

I'm going to spend some time in Otago between 11th of April and 1st of May. I'm bringing an 8x10 and b/w film and I'm researching interesting landscape scenery both by the ocean and inland. Shore landscapes are of interest and also rain forests and mountains and rivers. It would also be nice to meet other photographers. We are going to be based in Dunedin where my daughter is an exchange student this semester.

I would be very grateful for all advice from members of this forum.

Sverre Aurstad
Oslo, Norway

lumi
12-Mar-2014, 20:00
Thanks a lot, David, I rally look forward to the trip. Guess I must bring more film than usually, New Zealand landscape is really special.

Sverre

lumi
12-Mar-2014, 20:07
Hi Sverre, I am based in Dunedin and it would be great to meet you!

Great! I'll get back to you with details when we have booked a place to live. Thanks for your kindness, it will be nice to meet a real NZ photographer!
All best, Sverre

lumi
12-Mar-2014, 20:16
I would definitely take the long way through the Catlins and do the waterfalls, especially Purukaunui.

Thanks, David Fisk! Will do, the Catlins are on the list and thanks for the Purukaunui tip! I'll get a travel guide tomorrow and good road maps when I get to Dunedin.

Sverre

DavidFisk
13-Mar-2014, 17:49
Fortunately, the highway through the Catlins is paved ("sealed" to the Kiwis), so the drive is very pleasant. Catch Matai Falls and McLean Falls as well. McLean is about a 20 minute walk with the others just a few minutes from your car. When I go, I drive from Queenstown or Te Anau, leaving at 6:00 a.m. and get to Dunedin at dinner time. That will give you an idea of timing. Even then, there's not quite enough time in a day to do it all, but you won't be disappointed.

Vaughn
13-Mar-2014, 19:55
Shag Point -- about 60km north of Dunedin...interesting rocks on the coast if you happen to be driving by.

lumi
13-Mar-2014, 22:12
Thanks, I guess may main problem will be time, New Zealand must be some of the worlds best locations for landscape photographers. I plan on bringing 40 sheets of 8x10 and may have to pack more ...

Fortunately, the highway through the Catlins is paved ("sealed" to the Kiwis), so the drive is very pleasant. Catch Matai Falls and McLean Falls as well. McLean is about a 20 minute walk with the others just a few minutes from your car. When I go, I drive from Queenstown or Te Anau, leaving at 6:00 a.m. and get to Dunedin at dinner time. That will give you an idea of timing. Even then, there's not quite enough time in a day to do it all, but you won't be disappointed.

lumi
13-Mar-2014, 22:13
Shag Point -- about 60km north of Dunedin...interesting rocks on the coast if you happen to be driving by.

Thanks, I'll put Shag Point on the list!

Vaughn
14-Mar-2014, 02:48
Thanks, I'll put Shag Point on the list!

The was an old house there that served as a Youth Hostel. Nice place to stop when I hitch-hiked between Lincoln College (near Christchurch) and Dunedin way back there in 1975. The Youth Hostel was still there when I stopped there in 1981. No longer on their map of hostels now.

Vaughn
31-May-2014, 09:47
Yes, I hope your time in New Zealand was wonderful! I'd love to see a couple of your favorite 8x10's! (a little jealous as I just had my little 4x5!)

marcus_prestn
12-Jun-2014, 06:09
It will be very interesting to get a report related to this trip and, of course, some photos. Is it possible today?