PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 vs 4x5 keep/sell/wait/ the merry go round continues

dimento
10-Mar-2014, 07:54
So,

I'm back with this dilemma again. I currently have a 4x5 field camera and a super cheap monorail with 90,135, 150, 180mm lenses. I also have a Cambo/Calumet C1 in really nice condition.
A short while back, due to being 'between jobs', I sold my 300mm lens and 5 8x10 filmholders.

I am trying to decide to decide whether it's worth keeping the 8x10, with a view to gradually getting back into the format. I've sat down with a notepad and made out a pro's/cons list but I can't decide.

I shoot a mix of film/moving image work (no clients for this yet, but plenty featured work) portraits (digital, 6x6, 6x7, 4x5 & very occasionally 8x10)
I have a few projects in mind that I feel the 8x10 would be perfect for, I have used fairly recently for this project www.soundportraits.net

But, I keep going to-and-fro between wanting to just concentrate on 4x5 where the cost is substantially lower and there is still a visual 'signature', or using both formats, but using the 8x10 more selectively.
I'm still 'between jobs' as my teaching contract was terminated last Summer due to cutbacks & commissions are thin on the ground.

8x10 film costs €115 for 50 sheets Fomapan, that's about $164

I know I probably have too much lens coverage in 4x5; 135 and 150 are very close after all, as is 180. and I'm left with the short-term problem of re-acquiring holders and a 300mm lens.

Words of wisdom appreciated....

I have a mini-project set up for my hometown using 4x5 or 8x10 during an arts festival and a few other short-term projects in mind, and have been trying to convince myself that maybe I could crowd-fund these projects.

Thanks, D

Drew Bedo
10-Mar-2014, 07:59
Think very carefully about what you really want to do.

I have regrets about nearly every camera and lens that I have sold off or traded away in the past thirty years.

dimento
10-Mar-2014, 08:03
Think very carefully about what you really want to do.

I have regrets about nearly every camera and lens that I have sold off or traded away in the past thirty years.

Yes, know that feeling.

jcoldslabs
10-Mar-2014, 12:38
Eliminating a format from your arsenal altogether can be a tough decision. I sympathize. In the last year I've sold off many cameras and lenses and have no regrets, but I still have all the formats I want to shoot covered by other gear. However, if you give up 8x10 for now there is no reason you can't get back into it at a later date.

Good luck!

Jonathan

axs810
10-Mar-2014, 12:44
If you have two 4x5 cameras why not just sell the field camera (guessing you would get at least $600 or more) then buy a 300mm lens and some 8x10 holders?

dimento
10-Mar-2014, 12:48
Eliminating a format from your arsenal altogether can be a tough decision. I sympathize. In the last year I've sold off many cameras and lenses and have no regrets, but I still have all the formats I want to shoot covered by other gear. However, if you give up 8x10 for now there is no reason you can't get back into it at a later date.

Good luck!

Jonathan

thanks Jonathan, it's the worry of how long it will take to get back in.

dimento
10-Mar-2014, 12:51
If you have two 4x5 cameras why not just sell the field camera (guessing you would get at least $600 or more) then buy a 300mm lens and some 8x10 holders?

I use the 4x5 field quite a lot and I shoot a lot of colour with it, something I definitely can't afford in 8x10, but yes, I could sell something. I have another field camera I've been trying to sell for a few weeks and I could probably sell one of the lenses. Cheers, D

axs810
10-Mar-2014, 12:55
But if you have two 4x5 cameras I don't see why you can't just sell the more expensive one and still shoot color with your "cheap monorail"...I mean you got the glass and I would doubt a monorail will lack any movements you need.

Just a thought :)

Ari
10-Mar-2014, 12:55
Sell your field camera, one of the 135mm or 150mm, and get a part-time job for your 8x10 habit.

dimento
10-Mar-2014, 12:57
Sell your field camera, one of the 135mm or 150mm, and get a part-time job for your 8x10 habit. If only it were that simple, I do have an 'extra' 4x5 field (A Toyo) I've been trying to sell for weeks, jobs are not easy to come by in this economy

axs810
10-Mar-2014, 13:04
If there are any student art galleries at a nearby college try going there and documenting other peoples artwork. I do that when I need money and I get anywhere from $200 and up (my friend got paid $1200 for photographing student jewelry pieces)...undergrads will pay a good amount for their galleries to be photographed so they can apply to grad school.

dimento
10-Mar-2014, 13:09
If there are any student art galleries at a nearby college try going there and documenting other peoples artwork. I do that when I need money and I get anywhere from $200 and up (my friend got paid $1200 for photographing student jewelry pieces)...undergrads will pay a good amount for their galleries to be photographed so they can apply to grad school. Good suggestions -thanks

jcoldslabs
10-Mar-2014, 13:28
Personally, if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to choose between 4x5 and 8x10, I would probably go with 4x5. It would be tough because I love 8x10, but 4x5 gives me most of what I want from large format with a minimum of hassle. My main reason for shooting 8x10 is being able to contract print, but I could give up that dream if I had to.

Sometimes part of the problem for me is having the option of both. If all I had was 8x10, that's what I would shoot and I would get much better at it as a result. As it is, I find I gravitate more toward 4x5 because of the lower film and processing costs, and because the cameras are smaller and more agile and therefore allow me to "play around" more relative to 8x10. (Plus the Speed Graphic's shutter lets me use all kinds of cheap barrel lenses.) Eliminating 8x10 might be tough, but you may find it allows you to hone and refine your 4x5 work even more.

J.

dimento
10-Mar-2014, 13:46
Personally, if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to choose between 4x5 and 8x10, I would probably go with 4x5. It would be tough because I love 8x10, but 4x5 gives me most of what I want from large format with a minimum of hassle. My main reason for shooting 8x10 is being able to contract print, but I could give up that dream if I had to.

Sometimes part of the problem for me is having the option of both. If all I had was 8x10, that's what I would shoot and I would get much better at it as a result. As it is, I find I gravitate more toward 4x5 because of the lower film and processing costs, and because the cameras are smaller and more agile and therefore allow me to "play around" more relative to 8x10. (Plus the Speed Graphic's shutter lets me use all kinds of cheap barrel lenses.) Eliminating 8x10 might be tough, but you may find it allows you to hone and refine your 4x5 work even more.

J.

Yes, there's a lot to be said for limiting choices, Avedon worked with 8x10 and a Rollei. One my favourite photographers, Steve Pyke, works more or less exclusively with a Rollei. Mary Ellen Mark seems to veer from 35mm to 6x6, 6x7, 5x4 and of course the Polaroid 20x24 ($8000 starting price to commission her on that camera). I guess multiple formats and choices work for some, not for others.

Drew Bedo
10-Mar-2014, 14:10
Or . . .OR . . .you could dump both small cameras and get an 8x10 with a reducing back!

Robert Skeoch
10-Mar-2014, 14:20
Just go with 8x10. It's so much more enjoyable than shooting 4x5.

dimento
13-Mar-2014, 01:38
So the heart one over the head. I decided to keep my 8x10 and re-build the kit. I guess the bottom line is I've never really completed a project with 8x10. Several times in the past I've bought one, shot a few sheets and then sold the kit. This has meant that I've never had a chance to see what the format is capable of, nor become comfortable with it. For anyone who's interested in Richard Avedon's work there's a great section on his website with interviews: http://www.richardavedon.com/#mi=1&pt=0&pi=7&p=-1&a=-1&at=-1

thanks for all the input

Drew Bedo
18-Mar-2014, 06:14
Glad to hear that you have resolved this. Please share what you do with us here.

DrTang
18-Mar-2014, 08:10
If there are any student art galleries at a nearby college try going there and documenting other peoples artwork. I do that when I need money and I get anywhere from $200 and up (my friend got paid $1200 for photographing student jewelry pieces)...undergrads will pay a good amount for their galleries to be photographed so they can apply to grad school.

I got a bottle of tequila last time I did that

fair trade

Ari
18-Mar-2014, 08:22
If only it were that simple, I do have an 'extra' 4x5 field (A Toyo) I've been trying to sell for weeks, jobs are not easy to come by in this economy

I understand, and I hope I didn't sound flip about it.

BTW, I saw your Finance Minister interviewed on CBC yesterday, proclaiming Ireland the economic hub of the EU.
Maybe he was full of blarney?

In any case, perhaps eBay is the best option for your camera and lens, since they aren't moving here.
It would rid you of the gear, and get you some money for 8x10, perhaps a little less than you were hoping for, but at least it's a step forward.

dimento
18-Mar-2014, 08:37
I understand, and I hope I didn't sound flip about it.

BTW, I saw your Finance Minister interviewed on CBC yesterday, proclaiming Ireland the economic hub of the EU.
Maybe he was full of blarney?

In any case, perhaps eBay is the best option for your camera and lens, since they aren't moving here.
It would rid you of the gear, and get you some money for 8x10, perhaps a little less than you were hoping for, but at least it's a step forward.

Our finance minister is full of S**t. But I can't say anymore because politics isn't allowed.

I managed to sell my spare Field 4x5, have the 'cheap' monorail and two 4x5 lenses listed on evilbay. Have got my 8x10 lens on the way and am trying to get some film and holders together.

I have about 4 proposals sitting with various Arts bodies, waiting to see if they can proceed and another 'maybe' in progress. So, who knows? I may get to use 8x10 for a personal project and have costs covered.

I didn't take your comment as flippant.

Cheers, D

Steve Williams_812
18-Mar-2014, 18:31
I was going to post something this evening when I saw yours. In 2007 I sold my Zone VI 8x10 camera, lenses, tripod, Gitzo head, film holders, backpack, the works. And I've regretted it ever since. And now, right now, I am considering a return to the big camera though my soon to be 60 year old body gives me pause.

The reasons for dumping the camera system seemed to make sense at the time -- I had finished a big project, was not using it much, was getting lazy, and thought a Mamiya 7 would be "just as good". It wasn't and I have been sneaking looks at 8x10 contact prints ever since.

I was making pros and cons list at the time and I know now that doing that, for me at least, means no.

Good luck with your decision.

dimento
19-Mar-2014, 06:55
I was going to post something this evening when I saw yours. In 2007 I sold my Zone VI 8x10 camera, lenses, tripod, Gitzo head, film holders, backpack, the works. And I've regretted it ever since. And now, right now, I am considering a return to the big camera though my soon to be 60 year old body gives me pause.

The reasons for dumping the camera system seemed to make sense at the time -- I had finished a big project, was not using it much, was getting lazy, and thought a Mamiya 7 would be "just as good". It wasn't and I have been sneaking looks at 8x10 contact prints ever since.

I was making pros and cons list at the time and I know now that doing that, for me at least, means no.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks, I decided to hold onto the camera and have part-rebuilt my kit. Hope you manage to find your way back in, regards, D

Carsten Wolff
20-Mar-2014, 04:00
I compromised in the end staying mostly with a 5x7" instead. My reasons, despite relative lack of film choice in that format are: Nice size and very good portability (old Arca-Swiss); hardware issues: all my lenses cover 5x7 and I already had a 5x7 enlarger; also have a Canham 617 panorama back which makes excellent use of roll-film. I like the 5x7 format as well; slightly wider aspect ratio compared to and great to work with, yet lacking the bulk of 8x10 gear. Cost can also be a consideration; for color, I can always buy 8x10 film and cut it down, or use my reducing back and do 4x5. I don't do contacts as an end-product.

dimento
20-Mar-2014, 04:06
I compromised in the end staying mostly with a 5x7" instead. My reasons, despite relative lack of film choice in that format are: Nice size and very good portability (old Arca-Swiss); hardware issues: all my lenses cover 5x7 and I already had a 5x7 enlarger; also have a Canham 617 panorama back which makes excellent use of roll-film. I like the 5x7 format as well; slightly wider aspect ratio compared to and great to work with, yet lacking the bulk of 8x10 gear. Cost can also be a consideration; for color, I can always buy 8x10 film and cut it down, or use my reducing back and do 4x5. I don't do contacts as an end-product.

yep I almost went 5x7 myself, it's a nice size. Cost for 8x10 colour for me will most likely be prohibitive, although I would love to shoot it, maybe some odds and ends here and there. I've had several 8x10's in the past and never really went to town on it, this time I will though.

Ari
20-Mar-2014, 09:36
Our finance minister is full of S**t.

Ha, tell us how you really feel! :)
Truth be told, if our Finance Minister spoke in a gentle Irish lilt, I'm sure he could convince us, too, that the low Canadian dollar was a good thing.

I managed to sell my spare Field 4x5, have the 'cheap' monorail and two 4x5 lenses listed on evilbay. Have got my 8x10 lens on the way and am trying to get some film and holders together.

I have about 4 proposals sitting with various Arts bodies, waiting to see if they can proceed and another 'maybe' in progress. So, who knows? I may get to use 8x10 for a personal project and have costs covered.

I didn't take your comment as flippant.

Cheers, D

Great to hear; I'd love to buy the Fuji 180, but my cash (for lack of a better word) is tied up in another lens purchase.
Good luck, Damian, and post your 8x10 photos when possible.

Steve Williams_812
22-Mar-2014, 13:47
Thanks, I decided to hold onto the camera and have part-rebuilt my kit. Hope you manage to find your way back in, regards, D

I threw away the pros and cons list last week, thought hard about the new project I want to engage, and made the decision to move ahead with another 8x10 camera. A Calumet C-1 has already arrived and pieces and parts from across the country are inbound. By mid week I should be able to start shooting. And it feels good.

Something that did help -- a friend asked me if I had lost any money with the last system and I realized that all the used film gear I've owned was sold for pretty much what I paid for it -- cameras, lenses, tripods. Some actually appreciated (Leica). He reminded me that I was really just moving assets from one form to another -- cash to cameras and then back to cash.

Looking forward to shooting with the view camera again.