PDA

View Full Version : e-6 in trays?

ckagy
10-Mar-2014, 06:32
Does anyone process e-6 in trays, or is that just crazy talk? I thought it wise to ask before I try it...

vinny
10-Mar-2014, 06:49
If you can temper your trays properly it should work but I don't know anyone who does it.

koh303
10-Mar-2014, 07:14
Does anyone process e-6 in trays, or is that just crazy talk? I thought it wise to ask before I try it...

Just crazy talk.
Its impossible to maintain a level exact temp needed for E-6 in open trays.
The chemical waste would be huge compared to tanks, and you would most likely never get even development due to the very short times (compared to BW).

jumanji
10-Mar-2014, 07:27
A friend of mine did develop some 8x10 E6 for me, as well as 11x14 for another friend, both in tray. The result was good. It's not impossible, just complicated.
I've got a Jobo CPP2 so when I do it for myself I won't have to deal with that struggle :p.

Mark Sampson
10-Mar-2014, 07:49
Possible, not recommended. The learning curve will be steep and expensive, and the aromas from the various baths are unpleasant if not actually unhealthy. Certainly you don't want you fingers in the chemistry. Consistency will be very hard to achieve, as well, and you'll be risking some photographs that presumably you spent some effort on and want to succeed. Much better to use a processor that's meant to handle E6, or much better yet, send it to Edgar Praus.

Jim Noel
10-Mar-2014, 09:18
Just crazy talk.
Its impossible to maintain a level exact temp needed for E-6 in open trays.
The chemical waste would be huge compared to tanks, and you would most likely never get even development due to the very short times (compared to BW).
Not True!
I did it for years when I had more than a few sheets of film to process. Temperature can be controlled in several ways and there is no problem with uneven development or streaking if one is a competent worker.

WayneStevenson
14-Mar-2014, 21:13
It's easy. Though if you have more than a sheet or two it is time consuming if you don't have a way to maintain temperature. Your temperature will maintain well enough for a single sheet at room temperature.

Bringing it back up to temperature for every sheet is a pain. And your chemistry risks oxidizing quicker.

Proper ventilation is a good idea. I forgot to turn my fan on once when I used to process in the bathroom. The process seemed to take forever and I was lying on the ground breathing fresh air from the crack below the door. Heh. No way I was going to ruin that sheet of 8x10. ;)

ckagy
15-Mar-2014, 07:12
Thanks, all. Given the difficulty of temperature control, the noxious fumes, and the incredible reasonableness of Edgar Praus' prices, I think I'm just going to focus my efforts on taking the photos. I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback and experience.

analoguey
15-Mar-2014, 11:58
Wayne, Jim - was it cheaper to process e-6 at home? Or did you do that for more control over the process?

WayneStevenson
15-Mar-2014, 16:28
The savings are immense. B&W, C-41, E-6, you save money......

But I do it for control. Labs have slipped here and I don't take chances. I started processing my own film back in 2008. From labs I had had dirty negatives, scratched negatives, fingerprints, and some not even sleeved. From different labs. Couldn't take it any more.

It is also more convenient. I was having a two hour round trip to the one lab that I trusted the most. They were also the most expensive.