PDA

View Full Version : CL81 - an 8X10 sheet film processing reel Kickstarter is now live!

koh303
9-Mar-2014, 13:59

We have just launched our CL81 project on Kickstarter!

The CL81 is an 8X10 sheet film processing reel, designed for use with Jobo multitank 5 drums.
It can be used manually with as little as 600ml of liquid, and is compatible with ALL Jobo processors including the smaller ones such as CPE2 and ATL1000.

Find all the details here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2102598013/cl81-a-low-cost-solution-for-8x10-sheet-film-proce

Help us by spreading the word so this project can get off the ground!

vinny
9-Mar-2014, 14:17
great idea!

dave_whatever
9-Mar-2014, 15:26
Genius

Brian C. Miller
9-Mar-2014, 16:24
Backed!

David Lobato
9-Mar-2014, 17:11
It looks like a base with a vertical post would help stabilize the reel during loading, much like the JOBO 4x5 film loader. Does the JOBO center column tube come with the MultiTank 5? They are necessary to keep the drum light tight with a reel inside. Otherwise a great idea.

David Lobato
9-Mar-2014, 17:16
One more question. Will it fit in my JOBO 2551 tank?

koh303
9-Mar-2014, 18:50
One more question. Will it fit in my JOBO 2551 tank?

Multitank 5 = 2551 - so yes!

koh303
9-Mar-2014, 18:51
It looks like a base with a vertical post would help stabilize the reel during loading, much like the JOBO 4x5 film loader. Does the JOBO center column tube come with the MultiTank 5? They are necessary to keep the drum light tight with a reel inside. Otherwise a great idea.

Each Jobo tank comes with its core, and the core is an integral part of the way the CL81 works.

Ari
9-Mar-2014, 19:47
Do you have any video demonstration of the reels being loaded? I'd like to see how easy/difficult it looks.

koh303
9-Mar-2014, 20:31
There is a loading demo on the kickstarter page.

Ari
9-Mar-2014, 20:41
There is a loading demo on the kickstarter page.

Thanks, I missed it the first time around.

Renato Tonelli
10-Mar-2014, 06:53
It looks like the reel could be used with a 5x7 as well with some minor modification.
That would be a nice feature for those of us who have the smaller Jobo ATL-1500.

koh303
10-Mar-2014, 07:12
It looks like the reel could be used with a 5x7 as well with some minor modification.
That would be a nice feature for those of us who have the smaller Jobo ATL-1500.

Have a look here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2102598013/cl81-a-low-cost-solution-for-8x10-sheet-film-proce/comments

koh303
10-Mar-2014, 16:27
Here is a short update to answer several questions that came up:

1. At this time the CL81 will not be able to process 5X7. We are working in a 5X7 concept and hope to have some progress once we clear the slate after the CL81's start shipping. I know this is not the best answer, but stay tuned, we are working on it.

2. Each backer who pledged for a CL81 and Multitank 5 will have the chance to select an inversion lid or cog lid if funding is successful.

Thanks to everyone who has already pledged, please help us make this project succeed by sharing the link to the project on your social media outlets.

sweat100
10-Mar-2014, 20:53
Great ideal project! I have seen the loading video which is similar to the loading of a Jobo 2509. From the video, the loading seems to be a single handed loading while the other hand holds the end of the loaded film. Would the film spring out of the grooves if I do not hold the other end of the film? This is because I suppose in the dark environment, I would be fumbling to remove the 2nd and 3rd sheet of film from the film holder after loading the first sheet. So I presume that the first sheet should stay in the reel while I remove and load the second sheet and subsequently the third sheet.

StoneNYC
11-Mar-2014, 00:13
I just don't understand why 3 sheets were chosen, 4 seems to make a lot more sense, I mean, you have 2 sides to a holder, this means really most people will be only developing 2 sheets at a time realistically if you shot 2 holders, unless they shot 6 sheets. It just seems like a strange number.

sweat100
11-Mar-2014, 00:32
I just don't understand why 3 sheets were chosen, 4 seems to make a lot more sense, I mean, you have 2 sides to a holder, this means really most people will be only developing 2 sheets at a time realistically if you shot 2 holders, unless they shot 6 sheets. It just seems like a strange number.

I guess reason for using 3 sheets probably come from the design Jobo used in their 2509 holders. The 2509 can hold up to 3 sheets on each side of the reel, having 6 sheets in total on 2 sides. Since the 810 film is much longer so it can only accommodate one side, hence 3 sheets.

dave_whatever
11-Mar-2014, 01:17
4 sheets of 10x8 would need a deeper depth of chemistry, and given the shape of a tank on its side adding that extra depth could easily double the volume of chemistry required. On some of the smaller machines like a cpe2 there's a limit to how much juice/weight the motor is happy turning (for a cpe2 its 600ml).

vinny
11-Mar-2014, 02:26

you're welcome to make your own version. the alternative (jobo expert drums) holds 5 sheets and I've never heard nor experienced a complaint about that number.

koh303
11-Mar-2014, 05:26
Great ideal project! I have seen the loading video which is similar to the loading of a Jobo 2509. From the video, the loading seems to be a single handed loading while the other hand holds the end of the loaded film. Would the film spring out of the grooves if I do not hold the other end of the film? This is because I suppose in the dark environment, I would be fumbling to remove the 2nd and 3rd sheet of film from the film holder after loading the first sheet. So I presume that the first sheet should stay in the reel while I remove and load the second sheet and subsequently the third sheet.

Well, if you let go of the first sheet after rolling it in, unless it is fairly thick type of film (like Xray), it will most likely fly out. For that reason you will want to unload your holders first, and have the 3 sheets ready to load before starting. You will need to hang on to all 3 until you put the clamp on.

StoneNYC
11-Mar-2014, 05:32
you're welcome to make your own version. the alternative (jobo expert drums) holds 5 sheets and I've never heard nor experienced a complaint about that number.

True, I plan to use IR film in 8x10 so I need the expert drum anyway. I would have gone with a circular insert similar to the expert style but designed to go in print drums.

koh303
12-Mar-2014, 10:06
Quick update and one more answer to question:

A lot of you have been asking about 18X24 capability:
While the tube could be shortened to match the correct height of 18cm, the film retaining clip would most likely not be long enough to grip the film on the long side to keep it in place. Of course anyone DIYing the tube, could also possibly DIY the film clip, but thats currently beyond our resources for the project.

Within 3 days, we have passed the 60% mark of our funding goal.

Help keep the ball rolling on this project.
We will have some exciting stretch goal rewards if we can make them!

Thanks to everyone who has already pledged!

koh303
22-Mar-2014, 16:44
Thanks to the support of many LFPFers (and many others) we have passed our funding goal!
We still need your help and every little bit counts. We just added a new CL81 vinyl sticker reward as well as a high volume shooter rewards (for 2 reels).

Help us keep the ball rolling!

koh303
3-Apr-2014, 08:05
Last week we reached the 6000$ mark, and now with only 3 days left - there is still lots of places to reach out to and make the CL81 larger then life!

You can help us by spreading the word on all you social media outlets, user forums - and please let your LF shooter friends know about the project as well.

7500$ stretch goal: Help us reach this stretch goal so we can add an awesome vinyl sticker to each CL81. Put that sticker on your bumper so people know you ain't playin around - you shoot 8X10!

Lets make this final push and keep it going!

Omer (and the CatLABS team)

koh303
5-Apr-2014, 20:09
Very last day!
Last chance to join in on the kickstarter project!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2102598013/cl81-a-low-cost-solution-for-8x10-sheet-film-proce

koh303
7-Apr-2014, 17:18
We did it! We could not have gotten this without the help of each and every one of our backers and supporters.

At least 7% of our funding for the project came from LFPF users (though this only counts those of you who clicked the link on this post)!!!

As the funds are being collected we are already starting to get the final details of the first production run worked out, so that the factory can start making the CL81's ASAP, and hopefully they will start working on our order in the next couple of days.

The super coll stickers are also on the way and should be here by the end of the week.

We will update again when the parts start shipping and arrive at our warehouse.

Thanks again to each and every one of you.

WayneStevenson
12-Apr-2014, 13:12
Slick. :D Way to go. :)

vinny
12-Apr-2014, 15:52
True, I plan to use IR film in 8x10 so I need the expert drum anyway. I would have gone with a circular insert similar to the expert style but designed to go in print drums.

what's the IR have to do with the expert drum? It's no longer made, so how much 8x10 IR do you have?

StoneNYC
12-Apr-2014, 16:13
what's the IR have to do with the expert drum? It's no longer made, so how much 8x10 IR do you have?

The IR is thinner, so it won't load and stay well in other devices.

vinny
12-Apr-2014, 19:57
Efke ir film isn't thinner than anything else i've used. Is the thin rollei ir sheet film available in 8x10?

StoneNYC
12-Apr-2014, 20:34
Efke ir film isn't thinner than anything else i've used. Is the thin rollei ir sheet film available in 8x10?

I don't have that answer sorry, but better safe than sorry in case there is and I acquire some ;)

koh303
16-May-2014, 11:16
We were very excited this morning to greet the DHL delivery driver who dropped off some boxes filled with CL81 parts!

Now we have to do some final adjusting and assembly and prepare the rewards for shipping!

We hope to start shipping rewards sometime next week, about 3 months ahead of schedule!

koh303
10-Dec-2014, 19:13
The second batch of CL81 units has landed!