PDA

View Full Version : time for a 4x5 field upgrade

feigenbaum
9-Mar-2014, 13:09
I have Toyo Super Graphic and my bellow are still light tight, but they are starting to come apart. Instead of replacing them, I'm looking into getting a newer field 4x5. I looked at the newer Toyo options, any other suggestions or which toyo model to get?

Thanks. :)

Vaughn
9-Mar-2014, 13:15
The CF is nice and light -- but care is needed not to break the plastic parts. Worth taking a look at, tho personally I like something a little more strongly built. I feel the same way about the Tachihara, an otherwise beautiful camera.

Huub
9-Mar-2014, 15:30
Is there anything you didn't like about your current camera? Getting a new one is a tremendous opportunity to buy a camera that would suit you better. I always thought the Toyo's good and tough camera's but limited in their movements and bellows extension. Also the control of the swing and shift on the front standard is a bit akward. Some of the modern Chamonix, Shen Hao and other wooden cameras are much better in this respect.

Rolfe Tessem
9-Mar-2014, 17:13
I have only one word for you: Chamonix :-).

Ari
9-Mar-2014, 20:18
Another word is Wista. :)

Brassai
9-Mar-2014, 20:26
Chamonix seems to hit the sweet spot of usuability and price. Annie agrees.

feigenbaum
9-Mar-2014, 20:36
I actually really like my 4x5 camera and the movements. I'm just running into issues shooting with my 210 lens. I thought it'd be better to invest in another field instead of spending maybe 200$ to replace the bellows. I'll look into the Chamonix more.

Winger
9-Mar-2014, 22:22
I actually really like my 4x5 camera and the movements. I'm just running into issues shooting with my 210 lens. I thought it'd be better to invest in another field instead of spending maybe 200$ to replace the bellows. I'll look into the Chamonix more.

I have a Chamonix F1 and use my 210mm the most of all my lenses. And for fairly close shots, too.

angusparker
9-Mar-2014, 23:05
Another vote for a Chamonix 45n2 or F1 - I've owned both. Good price great functionality and light.

el french
10-Mar-2014, 01:19
Why not just spend an afternoon (or two) and make a new bellows?

Rollinhofuji
10-Mar-2014, 03:02
The Chamonix is extremely lightweight and beautiful, but wouldn't be my choice. I would highly miss some features like zero detents, as far as I know the Chamonix doesn't offer this.
My choice would be a Toyo 45-AX or 45-AII, see http://www.toyoview.com/ProductInfo/ProductInfo.html, or Wista 45SP (I think it is the 4502 model here: http://www.wista.co.jp/e_wista/e_show/e_camera/e_camera.htm). I like the concept of these sturdy cameras with lots of movements.
OK, in fact my choice recently was a Master Technika 3000, but it is not cheap. Anyway, if you can afford it, a Linhof will be a reliable and pleasant tool to work with.

Jeff Keller
11-Mar-2014, 09:36
Canham DLC ... not sealed up in a box when closed but quite compact. Great movements.
Jeff Kelelr

Rollinhofuji
11-Mar-2014, 09:44
Oh yes, I forgot about the Canham! Great camera, love the look and construction.

feigenbaum
11-Mar-2014, 14:32
So far it's between a Toyo (unsure which model probably not the CF), Chamonix f1, and the Shen Hao HZX 4X5-IIA.
Canham is out of my price range (max 1000).

Andy ter Borg
11-Mar-2014, 15:05
I've recently switched from a Plaubel Peco Profia (3rd model if I remember correctly, with the rectangular rail) to the Chamonix 045F1 and I really like it so far (although I haven't been able to put it through its paces yet, only a few sheets thus far). But it's well made, light weight of course, very well crafted/machined etc. As far as the zero detents are concerned the Chamonix has white dot markings for the zero positions. Although short in use I'm already pretty impressed and convinced it's a 'keeper'.

Rolfe Tessem
11-Mar-2014, 15:33
The Chamonix is extremely lightweight and beautiful, but wouldn't be my choice. I would highly miss some features like zero detents, as far as I know the Chamonix doesn't offer this.
My choice would be a Toyo 45-AX or 45-AII, see http://www.toyoview.com/ProductInfo/ProductInfo.html, or Wista 45SP (I think it is the 4502 model here: http://www.wista.co.jp/e_wista/e_show/e_camera/e_camera.htm). I like the concept of these sturdy cameras with lots of movements.
OK, in fact my choice recently was a Master Technika 3000, but it is not cheap. Anyway, if you can afford it, a Linhof will be a reliable and pleasant tool to work with.

Chamonix has some zero detents and ALL possible zero markings, so it is easy to zero the camera. Essentially a non-issue.

Andy ter Borg
11-Mar-2014, 15:58
Thanks Rolf for being more precise (my comment wasn't).

Rollinhofuji
12-Mar-2014, 01:59
Thanks Rolfe and Andy,

I only once had the opportunity to play with a Chamonix, I guess it was an early model. The owner complained about the zeroing, although it wasn't a big problem to him (he mostly does landscape).
For me this would be a KO criterium.

feigenbaum, for its pure beauty and weight, used for landscape or portrait work, I would probably choose the Chamonix. On the other hand, the Toyo would probably be a better fit for "technical" work, like architecture. It should be more expensive.

richardman
12-Mar-2014, 02:28
The Chamonix F1 also has asymmetrical back tilt. Not replacement for front tilt all the time, but when it works, it saves a lot of time to get the tilt effect right. Basically, just focus once and TILT! (the downside is the foreground objects will appear larger)

dave_whatever
12-Mar-2014, 03:08
The Chamonix F1 also has asymmetrical back tilt. Not replacement for front tilt all the time, but when it works, it saves a lot of time to get the tilt effect right. Basically, just focus once and TILT! (the downside is the foreground objects will appear larger)

Foreground objects looking larger is also a benefit, if that's the effect you're after. Basically it's an effect you're totally in control of.

Rolfe Tessem
12-Mar-2014, 15:52
Thanks Rolfe and Andy,

I only once had the opportunity to play with a Chamonix, I guess it was an early model. The owner complained about the zeroing, although it wasn't a big problem to him (he mostly does landscape).
For me this would be a KO criterium.

feigenbaum, for its pure beauty and weight, used for landscape or portrait work, I would probably choose the Chamonix. On the other hand, the Toyo would probably be a better fit for "technical" work, like architecture. It should be more expensive.

The Chamonix comes with no manual or explanation of anything, including how to switch the back from horizontal to vertical!

It took a while poking around to figure it all out, but there are many little features buried in the camera that are not immediately obvious.

Bob Sawin
12-Mar-2014, 18:55
I just spent three days in a workshop in Death Valley and several folks were using Chamonix cameras. I use a Toyo 45Aii, which is a fine camera btw..., and I was very impressed with quality build, weight, quick set up and movements. If I did not have the Toyo...

Search YouTube for Michael Gordon's video on the Chamonix.

Andy ter Borg
13-Mar-2014, 01:10
I can only agree (again) with Rolfe; no manual and inspecting the camera after it had arrived in the evening, with little light it took me a while to find the serrated latches at the bottom of the back panel and the small 'screws' at the bottom of the front panel (paneel is the 'official' term in Dutch, I'm struggling a bit with tech English). But it's quite ingeniously built (then again, most cameras are).