PDA

View Full Version : Which 4x5 camera for handheld work, Super vs Speed Graphic vs Busch Pressman

dimento
9-Mar-2014, 06:51
Hey guys, I've been up and down the changing 4x5 gear road a few times, am now pretty happy with my set-up, namely a basic metal wista for landscape work and a few lenses.

Am getting interested in working more, hand-held with RF and was wondering what users thoughts are on
usability and to a degree cost of Busch Pressman D vs Speed vs Super Graphic.

I have a few questions, I've owned all three cameras at various times

1. With the Super I owned, I used a generic 135 cam with the rangefinder and the focus was definitely off with my 135 lens, with the Super is it really just advisable to use matched lenses with original cams for RF accuracy? and how how are they handheld for street and portrait vs Busch model D and Speed?

2. Are the top RF Busch Pressmans adjustable for different lenses or do they need specific cams like the Super?

thanks,

D

personal experience and links to examples of work would be great, thanks

and if anyone has a complete kit with working RF they'd like to sell or trade I'd be open to discussion.

mdarnton
9-Mar-2014, 07:03
Using a generic cam is probably a guarantee of bad focus. If your intent is to use only one lens this way (you haven't indicated that multiple lenses is your desire), I would get one of the versions with the Kalart side-mount RF, and do the calibration myself. It only takes about 30 minutes and you will KNOW that the RF is spot on.

My personal choice would be a Crown Graphic.

dimento
9-Mar-2014, 07:33
thanks for the fast reply, yes it would more than likely be 1 lens only, prob the original kit lens.

carverlux
9-Mar-2014, 07:49
thanks for the fast reply, yes it would more than likely be 1 lens only, prob the original kit lens.

Buy a Chamonix Saber - 1/2 the weight and 1/3 the bulk. If you want another lens, get a second Saber. One of the most pleasurable 4x5 cameras to use handheld.

dimento
9-Mar-2014, 08:04
Buy a Chamonix Saber - 1/2 the weight and 1/3 the bulk. If you want another lens, get a second Saber. One of the most pleasurable 4x5 cameras to use handheld.

looks a lovely camera, but about twice what I can afford/trade for

evan clarke
9-Mar-2014, 08:06
I use a Wista RF, it has a rangefinder and I have a grip mounted with a shutter cable and a Voigtlander shoe mounted meter.. it's a great setup.

Regular Rod
9-Mar-2014, 08:07
Roll on the Travelwide...

RR

dimento
9-Mar-2014, 09:35
I use a Wista RF, it has a rangefinder and I have a grip mounted with a shutter cable and a Voigtlander shoe mounted meter.. it's a great setup.

nice camera alright, but pricey too?

dimento
9-Mar-2014, 09:37
Roll on the Travelwide...

RR

yeah, looks interesting for landscape, maybe not so much for closer-range work

David A. Goldfarb
9-Mar-2014, 11:51
I'll second the recommendation for a camera with a Kalart rangefinder for a budget handheld 4x5" press camera. I had one once, and it wasn't hard to adjust, and you can calibrate it to whatever lens you like as your main lens, within a certain range.

If you have other lenses, you can make focus scales for them, using the rangefinder with the scale for your main lens to determine the distance, and then adjust focus using the scale for the lens that's on the camera.

dimento
9-Mar-2014, 12:02
I'll second the recommendation for a camera with a Kalart rangefinder for a budget handheld 4x5" press camera. I had one once, and it wasn't hard to adjust, and you can calibrate it to whatever lens you like as your main lens, within a certain range.

If you have other lenses, you can make focus scales for them, using the rangefinder with the scale for your main lens to determine the distance, and then adjust focus using the scale for the lens that's on the camera.

thanks for the reply, sounds like it might be within the scope of my limited technical skills

dimento
9-Mar-2014, 12:03
anyone know if the top-rangefinder Busch Pressman has an adjustable rangefinder? or is it cam only? thanks

Bill_1856
9-Mar-2014, 12:45
You don't need movements on a hand-held camera. The viewfinder on the Busch really stinks, and like the Super Graphic only works in the Landscape position. IMO the best choice is a Side mound Kalart Crown Graphic.

IanG
9-Mar-2014, 13:13
You don't need movements on a hand-held camera. The viewfinder on the Busch really stinks, and like the Super Graphic only works in the Landscape position. IMO the best choice is a Side mound Kalart Crown Graphic.

I regularly use movements with my Super Graphic hand-held, usually just a slight front tilt, I did the same with my Crown Graphic. I don't use the rangefinders I much prefer focusing on the Ground glass, and have good bright screens with fresnels (significantly brighter than the original Graflex screen) I can work very quickly. I carry 3 lenses a90mm Angulon, either a 135mm Symmor or a 150mm coated Tessar, and a 203mm Ektar so a rangefinders less than practical anyway.

The beauty of the Super Graphic over a Pacemaker or a Busch Pressman is the rotating back, my Crown Graphic is just a back-up now which I leave in Turkey.

Ian

dimento
9-Mar-2014, 13:19
I regularly use movements with my Super Graphic hand-held, usually just a slight front tilt, I did the same with my Crown Graphic. I don't use the rangefinders I much prefer focusing on the Ground glass, and have good bright screens with fresnels (significantly brighter than the original Graflex screen) I can work very quickly. I carry 3 lenses a90mm Angulon, either a 135mm Symmor or a 150mm coated Tessar, and a 203mm Ektar so a rangefinders less than practical anyway.

The beauty of the Super Graphic over a Pacemaker or a Busch Pressman is the rotating back, my Crown Graphic is just a back-up now which I leave in Turkey.

Ian

Interesting Ian, I remember you mentioning previously that you used the SG handheld. I've been round the houses on this, as you know, but would really like the option to shoot handheld. I have a street photography project in mind and would love to use 4x5. Any links to your work?

cheers, D

IanG
9-Mar-2014, 13:51
Interesting Ian, I remember you mentioning previously that you used the SG handheld. I've been round the houses on this, as you know, but would really like the option to shoot handheld. I have a street photography project in mind and would love to use 4x5. Any links to your work?

cheers, D

You can find my work here (http://lostlabours.co.uk). There's hand some held work in the Aegean series which is work in progress.if I can I use a tripod but they aren't permitted in many locations.

I'm luck because the light there is good and usually near the maximum my meters can read, so 1/125 or even 1/250 @ f22 using HP5 at box speed is the norm, but I'll shoot 1/6o @ f16 is needed and still get excellent results. In practice it's impossible to detect which images were made hand-held or using a tripod, but the light helps me enormously.

Ian

dimento
9-Mar-2014, 14:00
You can find my work here (http://lostlabours.co.uk). There's hand some held work in the Aegean series which is work in progress.if I can I use a tripod but they aren't permitted in many locations.

I'm luck because the light there is good and usually near the maximum my meters can read, so 1/125 or even 1/250 @ f22 using HP5 at box speed is the norm, but I'll shoot 1/6o @ f16 is needed and still get excellent results. In practice it's impossible to detect which images were made hand-held or using a tripod, but the light helps me enormously.

Ian

Nice work. We'd struggle to get 1/250 @ 5.6 in Cork and about 4 days without rain since Dec.

IanG
9-Mar-2014, 14:08
Nice work. We'd struggle to get 1/250 @ 5.6 in Cork and about 4 days without rain since Dec.

I've an f3.5 6" Dallmeyer Press lens that I may try on a Speed Graphic, it could be interesting for hand held work it's currently on a Quarter plate press camera. A better choice for the Norther European weather, although it's been like early summer today :D for a change.

Ian

mdarnton
9-Mar-2014, 14:44
This is exactly what I did with my Century Graphic--tuned the RF for the normal lens, then made a focusing scale for the 65, and use that with a separate finder, also.

photonsoup
9-Mar-2014, 15:04
I have a Polaroid 900 Alpenhause conversion that I find much easier to use hand held than my Crown Graphics. The single window viewfinder/rangefinder is great for people/animal shots.

Put a polaroid 405 in it with Fuji fp100c and it's always a big hit wherever I take it! I was recently told that the 10 black and white fp3000b photos that I took at a friends wedding were their favorite photos of the event. I think they spent about three times what I paid for the Alpenhause for the "real photographer".

I saw one go for not much more than a SG on the bay a while back.

A Sabre is definitely on my wish list!

carverlux
9-Mar-2014, 16:19
A Sabre is definitely on my wish list!

It's amazing what it inspires me to do. Here's what my Saber sometimes wears when the Phase One isn't otherwise occupied....

dimento
9-Mar-2014, 16:51
It's amazing what it inspires me to do. Here's what my Saber sometimes wears when the Phase One isn't otherwise occupied....
cool

Ivan J. Eberle
11-Mar-2014, 16:05
The Super/Super Speed RF I had was extremely repeatable and very accurate when I used it with the 135mm Wollensak Raptar/Optar the cam was cut for. Cam and RF wasn't even in the ballpark of close with a 135mm Sironar N/Caltar IIN, even after adjusting infinity stops, and I never got around to cutting a cam for it.

But with an accurately custom-cut cam, It'd seem a safe bet to me that a well adjusted Super would beat a Kalart Synchronized for not requiring continual readjustment as a rough and tumble knock-about street camera.