PDA

View Full Version : Bellows conservation question

Rhodes
4-Mar-2014, 06:15
Hallo,
my question is a rather simple one (I think), are the bellows of LF view cameras conserve better when they are fold and the camera closed or with the camera open and the bellows extend?

The reason for asking is a mix of "want to know" and what is best for view cameras bellows conservation terms. My home town museum, were I work, have a few photograph material donated by the city photographers, legacy pieces and so one.
One of that collection have LF cameras, mainly graflex and view cameras (wood and brass type; can not remember the specific term for them). One view camera is a corona Dresden. Others are 8x10 and possible a 12x to something (in cm the negative is 25x28, talking from memory, so do not recall it quite clear).
The museum is now working to transform one part of the reserve/storage to a visitable one and in one large showcase, several cameras where displayed and store. We opened the view cameras for cleaning and talk about what would be best for the bellows. That the cameras should be opens for the bellows respire and not get mould spots, etc.
I decided to ask here, on the forum, since thought that would be a good place to place the question!:)

Jac@stafford.net
4-Mar-2014, 08:49
In my experience, and I use a lot of different view cameras and antique MF cameras with bellows, it is best for the bellows to be collapsed for storage, but viewers of a camera on display will not learn the reality of the camera in its ready-to-use state.

So I recommend that a camera for display purposes should have the bellows extended, but not stretched out all the way. Most bellows damage occurs though actual use - extending and compressing. You won't be doing that for a display model.

Our historical museum leaves the bellows extended. They dust and check often enough to keep them in good order.

Liquid Artist
4-Mar-2014, 09:47
I couldn't imagine going through a museum and seeing a bellows fully retracted. You just could not get any idea of what a camera truly looks like in action. At the same time I'd hate going through the museum and seeing my cameras bellows fully extended. The best to me is when a museum actually takes the time to properly focus the camera if it's being used as a prop rather than just a showpiece.

Rhodes
4-Mar-2014, 12:39
Thank you for the replies!
All the bellows cameras are opened, but the bellows are not stretch all the way.
Only a few of them are on display duo to space of the showcase; the others are in storage. So the ones that are in storage (and not in eye sight) is better to be closed.

Tin Can
4-Mar-2014, 13:13
Dust is my problem and I have to force myself to cover my new bellows on my Studio Deardorff. Closing the 3 bellows all the way is not a good choice as it is actually not a quick affair. I now leave the bellows in my last used position and drape a thin cotton sheet over the whole affair.

I have seen many moldy bellows from closed up cameras. I think all bellows need occasional movement and airing.

Leather bellows need something, a leather moisturizer of some kind as they tend to simple dry up and crack.

That said, I have two 100 year old self casing Premo cameras that were always stored closed and the leather bellows are perfect without any care.

Steven Tribe
4-Mar-2014, 14:04
It would be fun if you posted some photos here if there is no on-line photo access to them.

I imagine that these are mostly square bellows type (Studio and Continental Voyages/Reisekameras)? It would be sensible to have some sort of support at the midpoint of the extended bellows to stop sag. Many cameras of this type were made with an expanding support system in the small space between the bottom of the bellows and the base.

I agree with the idea of a light spray of leather oil (containing fungicide) once the bellows have been cleaned for dust, grime etc.
Most of these cameras bellows were made from heavy duty canvas rather than leather - with just 4 flexible leather corners.

Rhodes
4-Mar-2014, 16:25
Steven, yes. The bellows of the bigger camera are like you described. I Only have on photo of the show case with the corona Dresden, but I'll take more and post it here.

NancyP
5-Mar-2014, 12:31
Try contacting the museum staff of this organization: http://www.iphf.org/ They have all sorts of bellows cameras, and have been in business for a while, so they must have some conservation opinions.

Rhodes
5-Mar-2014, 17:03
Thank you Nancy!;)