PDA

View Full Version : From South Africa to North america

andrel23
3-Mar-2014, 20:13
Hi there,

I am a new owner of an enlarger timer called 'Nocon Timer'. I got it from a fellow in south africa. Knowing that south africa, like many countries in Europe, are using
220 Volts. Here, like everybody know, we are using 110. I have bought a converter to convert our 110 to 220 volts that the timer needs to be operating. Thus, this timer has an outlet to feed the enlarger. Do I need a converter also to reduce the 220 from the timer than back to the enlarger that is using 110 volts?

Thanks for your help!

Nathan Potter
4-Mar-2014, 20:32
It is almost certain that the Nocon timer output is 220 volts but a cheap multimeter will confirm that. If you measure 220 volts then:

See Steve Smiths comment on APUG. The 220 volt relay which switches 120 volts will work - if you can find one. A 2:1 stepdown transformer will also work as long as the power rating is adequate.

Also the timer, if digital, may have been adjusted for a 50 Hz power signal and the accuracy of the timer may depend on that frequency - or not - depends on the electronic design. So if you get it working check the timing and re calibrate as necessary.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.