PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new Film/Dev combination. Opinions wanted.

k_redder
2-Mar-2014, 15:51
I think I just ordered my last box of T-Max 400 today. I've been thinking about changing for a while, partly due to thoughts about continued availability but now mostly due to costs. As of this weekend, a 50 sheet box of TMY-2 from B&H is up to $110. That's almost double what it costs for Ilford FP4 (100 sheets for $125). I'd like to try FP4, but what what I really want help with is to find a developer that works well with that film and also suits my particular needs as far as convenience and shelf life. I know I should be choosing my film/dev combo based on a "look" that I'm after and nothing else, but I have to make some concessions to time and economics. Like most people, I don't get to do nearly as much photography as I would like, I'm lucky to run 100 sheets in a year. I run film in small batches, so a liquid concentrate has the advantage of being able to mix up only what I need when I need it. Also, because I run small batches here and there, whatever stock solution (or concentrate) that I work from needs to have a fairly decent shelf life too. Does anybody have a favorite developer that they use with FP4 that might fit the bill? Thanks in advance for any/all opinions.

ic-racer
2-Mar-2014, 15:59
I have used T-max developer since the 1980s. It has great shelf life and is easy to dilute for one-shot processing.

ndg
2-Mar-2014, 16:54
FP4 and HC110 dilution B.

I think I just ordered my last box of T-Max 400 today. I've been thinking about changing for a while, partly due to thoughts about continued availability but now mostly due to costs. As of this weekend, a 50 sheet box of TMY-2 from B&H is up to $110. That's almost double what it costs for Ilford FP4 (100 sheets for $125). I'd like to try FP4, but what what I really want help with is to find a developer that works well with that film and also suits my particular needs as far as convenience and shelf life. I know I should be choosing my film/dev combo based on a "look" that I'm after and nothing else, but I have to make some concessions to time and economics. Like most people, I don't get to do nearly as much photography as I would like, I'm lucky to run 100 sheets in a year. I run film in small batches, so a liquid concentrate has the advantage of being able to mix up only what I need when I need it. Also, because I run small batches here and there, whatever stock solution (or concentrate) that I work from needs to have a fairly decent shelf life too. Does anybody have a favorite developer that they use with FP4 that might fit the bill? Thanks in advance for any/all opinions.

Pawlowski6132
2-Mar-2014, 17:36
You realize you will get responses from people using every developer in the book and you will be right back to where you started from right????

These types of questions are pretty useless. Interesting, but useless.

I use HC110 or Rodinal.

IanG
3-Mar-2014, 01:12
For both economy and excellent processing characteristics take a look at Sandy King's Pyrocat HD. One developer that works magic with Ilford FP4+ film.

It's superb with HP5 as well, a magic combination.

Ian

Ed Bray
3-Mar-2014, 02:37
The only film I have not found it so good for without additional testing was Foma 400, most others it is really great just using standard times. I am struggling to look past Divided Pyrocat HDC 1:20 for most of my negatives now unless the actual scene captured has already very flat lighting and then it needs a contrast boost by using it 1:10 and a slight increase in time.

Regular Rod
3-Mar-2014, 03:18

When you say, "here and there" does that mean you travel and develop your films in different locations? If so I agree that a concentrate would be better for you and as you want it to last a long time then I think you should consider making up your own 510-PYRO. It is easy to make up small amounts I have made as little as 100ml at a time. This stuff dilutes anything from 1 made up to 100, to 1 made up to 500. It lasts for years in concentrate and in a little bottle is easy to measure out using a cheap 1ml syringe. The thing about it is you can use it for a compensating developer if you choose to use a semi-stand or stand agitation regime or you can use it conventionally, which might be what you want to do with sheets anyway. It delivers fine grain and a wide tonal range. Most of all, once mixed and in your little bottle of concentrate it is very convenient and just about bomb-proof.

If you don't want to acquire the chemicals to make up a developer then another alternative would be to use Caffenol. This is a mix of cheap instant coffee, vitamin C powder and washing soda. You mix it from the ingredients just prior to use as a one shot. It too can be used as both a compensating or a conventional developer.

They both work beautifully with all ILFORD films.

RR

k_redder
3-Mar-2014, 09:47
You realize you will get responses from people using every developer in the book and you will be right back to where you started from right????

These types of questions are pretty useless. Interesting, but useless.

I use HC110 or Rodinal.
I understand your point. I'm not looking for any definitive answer (as if there was one), I am just looking to come up with a short list of developers worth looking into that might also fit my personal constraints (as described in original post).
FP4 will be the first film I try. Based on my situation, Rodinal seems like a good choice. It can be mixed from concentrate when I need it and by most accounts the syrup lasts nearly forever. In fact I have some Rodinal left over from when I used to use it with Efke IR820. So I'll give that a try when I get some FP4 to play with. I was just looking for opinions on FP4/dev combinations that I might not be aware of.

jp
3-Mar-2014, 12:44
Lots of good results with pyrocat hd here (with both FP4+ and TMY2)

Get the glycol variant for long shelf life. I use a cough syrup measuring cup to dispense what concentrate I need.

NancyP
3-Mar-2014, 13:24
Is Kodak film still going to be made? Ditto, Kodak chemicals?

Oren Grad
3-Mar-2014, 14:43
Is Kodak film still going to be made? Ditto, Kodak chemicals?

There are no announced plans to discontinue either. There's every reason to expect that Kodak Alaris (http://www.kodakalaris.com/ek/US/en/Kodak_Alaris.htm) will continue selling film manufactured for them by Eastman Kodak in Rochester, for as long as it's profitable and for as long as some other extraneous factor doesn't put the coating line in Rochester out of commission.

http://www.kodakalaris.com/ek/US/en/NewCo_Home_Top/About_Us/Frequently_Asked_Questions.htm

Where will manufacturing happen for paper, chemicals and film?

All of our paper manufacturing capability around the world will move to the new company. Our consumer and professional film will continue to be made in Eastman Kodak's world-class film factories via a supply agreement. This gives us the best of both worlds: the ability to continue to innovate on thermal and silver halide paper where Kodak Alaris' Personalized Imaging already has scale, and to enjoy the manufacturing scale provided in partnership with Eastman Kodak, which will continue to make motion picture and commercial film.

How much longer will you sell film?

As we've said for many years, the lifecycle of film will depend on profitable demand by consumers and professionals for the products.

Larry Gebhardt
3-Mar-2014, 15:18
FP4+ is an excellent film. I find it has a very similar look to TMax 400 when I develop both in XTOL in a Jobo. The grain is almost the same size, so with that combination you should not see much change in your images, other than possibly more subject movement from the two stop slower speed.

adelorenzo
3-Mar-2014, 15:31
I shoot FP4+ in sheets and develop it in HC-110 (1:49). Pretty hard to beat for convenience, ease of use and longevity.

jp
3-Mar-2014, 15:39
I think you'll find tmy2 has a slightly yellow filtration built in which most other films don't have with regard to spectral sensitivity. Makes a slight difference photographing people and skies, but not enough to be a big deal for most people. I use tmy2 and fp4+ nearly interchangeably (speed being the major difference) in normal circumstances.

Neal Chaves
3-Mar-2014, 18:40
HP5+ developed in HC110B for 7.5 minutes at 68F gives me an EI of 400. If I have plenty of light, I can expose at an EI of 100 and develop for 5 minutes and obtain a negative with slightly greater dynamic range.