PDA

View Full Version : What size camera do I really have.

tom thomas
28-Feb-2014, 16:45
I just won a Graflex with 120 roll film adapter and 3 film holders. I was only bidder on guy's relist. He described it as a Baby Graflex with 127mm/4.5 lens. It appeared in the MF section at E***. I thot that odd so looking carefully I think I got a 4X5 model instead. It appears to be a 1940-46 Pacemaker Speed Graphic but the Kodak lens is 1951 according to Camerosity. No rear photos, only side one but I can see what appears to be Graflock tabs and the 23 roll film adapter is definitely new style graflock. He's said he only used it with the adapter so it must be a Baby Graflex when I'd earlier messaged him
about it asking him to measure the film opening on the roll film adapter. No answer so perhaps I got at least a 3X4 model which is usable with 120 film.

Here are a couple poor photos from his listing. Not sure if they are usable. Is this a 4X5, 3X4 or a Baby?111353111354111355

dsphotog
28-Feb-2014, 16:57
Looks small, nice regardless.
Happy shooting!

mdarnton
28-Feb-2014, 17:04
Looks like 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 to me, based on the fringe of back filler skirting around the roll holder--bigger than 2x3 would have, smaller than the large skirt on a 4x5 roll holder. And 127mm was the standard 3x4 lens.

Jim Jones
1-Mar-2014, 07:28
Looks like a 3.25x4.25 Anniversary model with the later Graflok back to me. Lenses were frequently swapped on Graphics to take advantage of newer coated lenses in synchronized shutters. Sometimes backs were upgraded, too. It's a nice outfit if it has a functional roll film back.

tom thomas
1-Mar-2014, 10:25
Looks like a 3.25x4.25 Anniversary model with the later Graflok back to me. Lenses were frequently swapped on Graphics to take advantage of newer coated lenses in synchronized shutters. Sometimes backs were upgraded, too. It's a nice outfit if it has a functional roll film back.

Thanx for comments all. Like Jim, I'm thinking 3X4 as well but hopefully functional so shootable with 120 mm film once I dust it off and check it out. It is the older 23 with knob and no rollers but slightly fuzzy negs sometimes add charm to the photo. Soft.

I did get out my 4X5 120 roll film adapter and turned it at the same angle as the one in the photo. Scalewise, it compares with the one pictured assuming the foreshortening of the other items in the photo, ie the film holders. In any case, I think I will be happy with the camera since I should be able to shoot with it.

The seller did not offer a rear view so I have to wonder if they may be something wrong there, ie the viewing fresnel and glass are broken, or something like that. It does look nice and clean though in the photos, bellows looks good with nice folds so I'll find out mid week what I have. What is that rangefinder though? I've not seen one like it before.

mdarnton
1-Mar-2014, 11:01
It's an early Kalart, with external adjustments. Figure one, here:
http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/kalart/index.html

tom thomas
1-Mar-2014, 15:20
It's an early Kalart, with external adjustments. Figure one, here:
http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/kalart/index.html

Thanx, nice info.

tom thomas
3-Mar-2014, 16:45
I received the camera today. Amazing fast delivery from California and through a Thundersleet storm here Sunday. It is truly a 3.25X4.5 Anniversary Speed Graphic that has been upgraded to a 1951 Kodak lens and a Graflock back. The 120 roll film adapter even has film in it, set on Exposure 2. I slid the darkslide so lost at least one. Even the cut film holders are like a 8.5 on 10 scale, wooden frame. Serial number is 257819, appears to be 1940-early 1941 but the shutter speed panel on top appears to be 1943, and the black metal on the focal plane shutter is satin smooth like 1941. And it has the early Kalart rangefinder. Has chrome focus knobs too, bright metal, not brushed aluminum. I like mysteries. Beautiful camera anyway, only minor rub marks on the leather body, front panel does have a couple minor Zeiss Bumps but leather is clean and shiny. Bellows is nice as well, inside is very clean, no even dusty. Not much refurb to do on this one, perhaps some shooting if it warms up before I leave for Europe next week.

so, it pays some times to take a change on e-Bongle.

Dan Fromm
3-Mar-2014, 17:27
The serial number was assigned May 1, 1940. The next batch of 3x4 Graphic serial numbers was assigned May 8, and the one after than June 4. I wouldn't read too much into the parts, there were many small production variations and not everything is well documented. The finish isn't consistent with a war-time camera.

You seem to have a phobia about writing the text string eBay. Why? There are no rules against it.

tom thomas
5-Mar-2014, 14:02
The serial number was assigned May 1, 1940. The next batch of 3x4 Graphic serial numbers was assigned May 8, and the one after than June 4. I wouldn't read too much into the parts, there were many small production variations and not everything is well documented. The finish isn't consistent with a war-time camera.

You seem to have a phobia about writing the text string eBay. Why? There are no rules against it.
Hi Dan, no phobia, just don't want to appear to be advertising for them, also, who knows who intercepts our data streams and throws SPAM back at us. I do it for retail store names too.
We after all, have our own buy/sell section here.

I agree with you on the date. It has been upgraded with 1951 lens and graflok back from at least 1949. It has the chrome focus knobs, bed levers, etc, satin finish on the focal plane shutter parts which Graflex describes for the model up to 1942 when they went to wartime colors from what I read. With the graflok update, I have eye level frame finders, the original like the Minature and the later a swing up circle which actually raises too high to be usable. I don't want to remove it though for the moment as want to keep it original.

Here are a couple photos showing what I mean.

Tom

And, Dan, I realize NOW that this is not a LF camera but a MF 3X4. If you'd like to move the posting to the Lounge, it would be more appropriate.

Dan Fromm
5-Mar-2014, 14:17
Interesting. That's the correct retrofit back.

tom thomas
5-Mar-2014, 18:20
Interesting. That's the correct retrofit back.
I also have a 23 Minature from same era with the retrofit Graflok back. It has the plug for the focal plane shutter so correct for the model it was mounted on. Perhaps the front wire frame is very tight after longterm storage and I haven't raised it enough. I'll drop some fine oil and see if it comes up higher so I can use the peep-hole finder.